As the internet and other types of technology start to advance schools are trying to find ways to use it in the classroom to have a positive effect on students lives, improve the students collaboration with their peers and improve their technical skills, but is technology a distraction? Technology provides a lot of new ideas and skills that could benefit students lives later in the future. But are there downfalls of using so much technology in the classroom? Since technology is such a main portion in so many peoples lives it is almost necessary to include it into any and all students lives. Recent studies show the benefits and problems of trying to force technology upon students.
Is Technology A Distraction
The obvious answer is yes, technology is a huge distraction. Teenagers are major users of any sort of technology including cellphones, computers, ipods, etc. There are many different reasons why the use of technology shouldn’t be allowed in a classroom, then again there are alot of different reasons why they should be. One of the main problems of being able to use your cellphone/laptop in school is the lack of focus. Bob Sullivan explains in his article that studies show that students that are interrupted by their cellphones score 20 percent lower on their test (Sullivan, 18). This is a result of lack of focus. Now a days if you asked a teenager what was more important school or their cellphone, most of them would probably say their cellphone. A second study showed that even students who are extremely capable of concentrating still are incapable of continuously doing their homework for two or more minutes without being distracted by their phone (Sullivan,18).
... middle of paper ...
...technology. When it comes to being taught by a teacher or learning by yourself through a laptop in some cases it is easier for a student to be able to teach themselves.
Gonchar, M. (Array). Retrieved from
Cator, K. (0). Retrieved from http://www.digitalpromise.org/how-technology-spurs-collaboration-among-students/\
Rodgers, W. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.shelbyed.k12.al.us/schools/rms/faculty/wrodgers/technology int/students.html
Sullivan, B. (18, May 2013). Students cant resist distraction and neither can you. Retrieved from http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/students-cant-resist-distraction-two-minutes-neither-can-you-1C9984270
Singh, R. (n.d.). Retrieved from website: http://www2.ed.gov/pubs/EdReformStudies/EdTech/effectsstudents.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Technology has played a big role in the change of education throughout the years. The research paper entitled Technology: A Catalyst of education aims to explain the importance of technology in education today, and to discover if education is a big factor in making a school a better place to learn for students. It will tackle mostly about technologies’ positive effects to our daily lives and the use of technology in classrooms. Technology is the making, adjustment, usage, and acquaintance of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization.... [tags: usb, projectors, technology, education]
2389 words (6.8 pages)
- Impact of Technology in Education Introduction Technology is one of the concerns I have as a new teacher. Technology affects all aspects of our lives. The classroom is no exception. I do not consider myself to be one of those tech savvy people who can incorporate the latest program or gadget into my lessons. At home I often announce “technology free” days just so we can get back in touch with the important things in life, or the thing I consider important. I can’t do that in the classroom, I will have to do the complete opposite.... [tags: Technology ]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- Education is “The act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life” (Education). Technology comes in many forms including the Internet. It can be used in many different ways, one being educational purposes. Throughout history, technology has had an effect on Education; examples of this are the Internet, online courses, the use of technology in class, and with these there are also limitations.... [tags: Technology ]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- The Impact of Technology on Education Technology affects every aspect of our lives. From romance to business, it has shown its presence everywhere. But technology has had a huge impact on education that cannot be denied, and has done nothing but improve the quality and quantity of education. Today, schools are being pressured more and more to improve the technology they use and teach in the classrooms. Parents are placing this pressure on schools so that their students have the skills needed to compete in the real world job market.... [tags: Teaching Education Essays]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
- ... It is a legal document specific to each individual student that outlines the child’s disabilities and accommodations that this specific student is entitled to make sure the child receives the proper education. The IEP process protocols and specific details vary from state to state. There are a few major differences between the New York and Texas model. One of the most significant is the difference is the legality issues between the two states. In order for assistive technology to be granted to any students their needs to be doctor documentation of their impairment and how it affects their education and learning process.... [tags: individualized education program, IDEA]
593 words (1.7 pages)
- Technology is a portion of everyday life. It affects how business is conducted, teaching, learning, and receiving information. Good or bad, everyone uses technology every day. There are many items people have on them on a daily basis, one would be hard pressed to be without. If you were to examine the effect of technology on teaching and learning and acquire an understanding of why technology should be a part of every classroom curriculum, what would the conclusion be. Technology is a great benefit to the classroom, it stimulates our digital generation and allows educators to be more creative with curriculum.... [tags: Technology in Education]
3141 words (9 pages)
- In today’s society, modern technology is evidently developing rapidly and it is portrayed as a negative impact. It can be seen that technology is a substitution of all characteristics of life. The purpose of every technological invention is to benefit the lives of mankind; thus re-enforcing the positive connotation of technology. However, in long term it may not be beneficial; such as, education, work and leisure are all becoming dependent on technology; cyberspace is dangerous and child obesity is increasing.... [tags: Technology]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- Technology and Education The use of technology in schools has a great effect on not only students, but teachers as well. Today, we mostly think of technology as computers, but it is much more than that. In fact, one of the first technologies used in the classroom was the chalkboard. Most students today use technology throughout their school day. Uses for technology can be found for every subject matter a student has. Some of the most widely used tools are found in the English and Language Arts classes.... [tags: Teaching Education Essays]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- The lack of training, time, and support contributes to teachers’ attitudes or hesitation in using wireless technology for educational purposes (Gruba, Clark, Ng, & Wells, 2009; Koehler & Mishra, 2009; Phelps & Maddison, 2008; Shuler, 2009; Ursavas & Karal, 2009). In addition, a lack of teacher training also hampers the necessary shift from traditional basic skills, reviews, and daily fact drills to an atmosphere that encourages problem solving skills and research-oriented learning (Coppola, 2009).... [tags: Education Technology, EdTech]
2902 words (8.3 pages)
- Technology Use in the Mathematics Classroom Technology is a growing field that affects every aspect of our everyday lives. When I look at centuries past, I am amazed at the technological advances this country has made. Just during my lifetime, computers, cell phones, digital cameras, and many other devices have become a huge part of everyday life. Not only is technology affecting every day life, but it is also making a huge impact on education, especially within the mathematic field. Computer programs are being created everyday to aid in the understanding of mathematical concepts.... [tags: Education School Technology]
1431 words (4.1 pages)