Imagine that you are about to enter your junior year in college and life is on the track that you had always planned. You are enjoying your time at the University of Rhode Island, working on your degree to become a teacher. You have been dating a nice guy for a few years. It is finally summer and you go back to a part time job that you have had after school, since high school. Little did you know that this summer job would change your life forever. Next thing you know, you have been married to your husband for twenty-nine years and have had four children together; all of which are a direct result of working that summer job. However, I should probably rewind to fill you in on some facts regarding this, my mom’s story. My mom and dad met at their summer job while they were both in their late teens and working in the grocery store Ro-Jacks. At the time, my mom and dad were both in college, my mom attending the University of Rhode Island and my dad a student cadet at Norwich University in Vermont. They were both home for the summer. My mom had been dating someone since high school. and claims that she had zero interest in my dad. But when my dad asked her on a date, she decided to give it a try. They say love happens when you least expect it and that is exactly what happened to my mom. After only dating for a short amount of time, my mom became pregnant with my brother Stephen at the age of nineteen. At the time my mother was not using any contraception. The pregnancy was a shock to both her and my dad. My mom and dad had little knowledge regarding contraception at the time. Just one year later, my parents were planning to get married. Both of my parents’ families were very surprised at the pace of their...
... middle of paper ...
...ater had brokenHoping that she did not break her water, my mom and dad went to the hospital and had the fluid tested. Her water did in fact break. It was time for my sister and me to be welcomed to the world. Upon being admitted, my mom was connected to IVs and fetal monitoring systems. She was also able to get an epidural. The next morning at 4:48 am my twin sister Pattie was born. Pattie was not expected so soon but had decided she had enough with sharing my mom’s belly. I, however, was not as easy of a delivery. The doctor noticed that I was breached and tried to turn me internally and externally. Unfortunately, I kept returning to the breach position. It was then decided that my mom was going to have a C-section. Unfortunately my mom could feel the procedure and had to be put under general anesthesia. I was born a whole seventeen minutes after Pattie at 5:05 am.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Adolf quickly became the leading speaker in the German Workers’ Party, speaking with passion and emotion about the Treaty of Versailles and the shameful way that it treated the German people, drawing in members by the hundreds. He became the leader of the parties’ propaganda in 1920, promoting high ranking soldiers that he knew from his time as a soldier during the war to prominent positions inside the party. He did this for two reasons primarily, the first reason is that he wanted men than he could trust, and secondly, to give an incentive to many alienated ex-soldiers who wanted to fight for something that they believed in to join the party.... [tags: Adolf Hitler, Nazi Party, Nazi Germany]
1688 words (4.8 pages)
- Twenty-five years after the worst nuclear disaster in history, Chernobyl is defined as an abandoned city in the northern Ukraine. Pripyat, the city founded in 1970 to house the workers for the nearby Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, is currently described as a dead town. For $140-$160 U.S. dollars, SoloEast Travel offers guided tours of Chernobyl, but that price does not include the $80 charge for mandatory insurance. At the end of the tour, everyone must be tested for radiation. For the next three hundred years, the area will still be contaminated and unlivable, but before April 1986, Chernobyl was a city inhabited by 14,000 residents.... [tags: Abandoned City, Ukraine, Cancer]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- Chapter four of Ayers book tells the story of an advanced placement biology class with a achievement gap that may result in students losing college prerequisite requirements. The new teacher Mr. Korshak faces a dilemma when twenty percent of his students are failing the first semester of the sophomore Advanced Placement biology class. At first teachers believed that science and math were clear cut subjects where studying produces the understanding needed to be successful in the class. Unfortunately, those twenty percent of failing students will not be able to apply to college in the upcoming year.... [tags: High school, Education, Roman numerals, Teacher]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Mariachi is a very authentic type of music which originated from the heart of Mexico in Guadalajara. The instruments used for mariachi include the Guitarron, vihuela, violin, harp, guitar, and the trumpet. When played together, they form a beautiful music which I have come to love. In my own experience, mariachi can be a very challenging style to play, but it can also be rewarding in the end. Playing mariachi is how I became the awesome trumpet player I am today. I came across mariachi for the first time in eighth grade.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Essay About Myself]
924 words (2.6 pages)
- I was the youngest of three. At eight years old, my only focus was annoying my sisters, Bailey and Devyn, and eating Spaghetti-O’s. Mother was successful- in her career, that is. That meant a quick, familiar kiss on the cheek before school and, if I was lucky, an “I love you” before bed. Being a single mom meant driving a purple minivan to her big, fancy accountant building in uptown. Her feet are still calloused from wearing heels. My sisters and I were left to cook, clean and take care of the dog until bed time.... [tags: Family, Father, Mother, Parent]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- September 17, 1787, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; during the heat of summer, in a stuffy assembly room of Independence Hall, a group of delegates gathered. After four months of closed-door quorums, a four page, hand written document was signed by thirty-nine attendees of the Constitutional Convention. This document, has come to be considered, by many, the framework to the greatest form of government every known; the Constitution of the United States. One of the first of its kind, the Constitution laid out the frame work for the government we know today.... [tags: Legislative, Executive, Judicial, Government]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Canada is a country that has overcome countless difficult hurdles and challenges throughout its journey to becoming the nation it is today. Nonetheless, the historical journey was not entirely negative, rather, there were some very memorable experiences during the 1900s in specific; one of them being the Roaring 20s, in which countries’ economies boomed, and people were now able to afford items they normally would not be able to. This caused a period of innovators, with the consumers demanding new products to replace various tasks or bring upon something unheard of; this was their time.... [tags: Insulin, Automobiles, The Radio, World History]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Most serial killers are psychopaths. They are really frighteningly irrational people, but people who have no human conscience and no capacity for remorse. They also see other human beings as objects that can be manipulated and exploited and used for their own depraved purposes. It is nearly impossible for them to feel any sort of sympathy. Ed Gein raises the question in my mind, “Are monsters born, or are they created?” In this case study, I am going to explain who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, why’s, and how’s of Edward Theodore Gein.... [tags: murder, mother, remains]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- Eric Blair wrote the novel 1984 under the pseudonym George Orwell. Nineteen Eighty Four’s original title was The Last Man in Europe, however, the title was changed for unknown purposes. It has been speculated that the change in title was done because it was a mere reversal of the last two digits of the year it was written. The novel was first received with conflicting acclamations and criticisms. Some reviewers disliked its dystopian satire of the class system, the power struggles of world leaders, nationalism, totalitarian regimes, and bureaucracy, while others panned it as nihilistic prophesy on the downfall of humankind.... [tags: George Orwell, 1984]
2959 words (8.5 pages)
- William Shakespeare's Act Three Scene Four of Macbeth Shakespeare manages in a number of ways to portray Macbeth's personalities. This scene is one in which very quickly we wee many sides of Macbeth. At the very start of the scene Macbeth announces to the other lords: You know your own degrees This shows us that he wants everyone to know were they stand in relation to him. This also reflects the feudal system that was around during the period in which Macbeth was set.... [tags: Papers]
1683 words (4.8 pages)