Since partisan activists clearly communicate with the mass electorate, they significantly affect realignment in the major political parties. The internal organizations of political parties have many goals, but the primary objective is to win elections. Gary Miller and Norman Scho...
... middle of paper ...
...al mediating link between the mass electorate on the one hand and elite party actors on the other hand” (Carmines and Woods 363). This draws upon the notion that partisan activists can better connect with the electorate, compared to elite party leaders. In this case, the activists would be either pro-life or pro-choice; meaning they either support the right to life, or they support abortion. Clearly this is already a delicate topic, so the involvement of partisan activists makes it extremely polarizing. Carmines and Woods write, “As Democrat activists became more liberal on racial issues and Republican activists moved to the right, they were sending out clear and consistent signals about the divergent positions of their respective parties” (363). They claim that activists brought forward important issues, and slowly partisans in the electorate responded accordingly.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Internet activists are often times a section of people whom meet in the cyber world and collectively deny customers from accessing corporate web sites. The intention of these internet activists is often denial of service. While the intentions of ”traditional” hackers are not just denial of service but stealing valuable insider information and data, internet activists only try to disrupt service. Organizations these days should guard against cyber-attacks on their web sites by having a very structured security policy.... [tags: Technology, Political Activism]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- The first machine at home was the sewing machine. At the time during the 1850's it was seen to be a miracle that a machine could sew by itself. (History) Today, a large quantity and variety of clothes that many admire are able to be made because of the sewing machines that produce clothes in quick time. Sewing machines have impacted the American society by making the life of countless housewives easier, developing American machinery, and starting the ability of individual business for many. Elias Howe, who succeeded in building a working sewing machine, saw his wife struggling with the sewing she took in to support the family.... [tags: Home Machines, History of Machines]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- The economics of America have always been a crucial part of the overall approval of the President. In this paper I will look at two pieces of literature, “The Politics of Economic Policy,” by Joseph Pika and John Maltese, and “The Partisan Political Economy,” by Larry Bartels and discuss the points that are made in both pieces and expand also on what I took away from the pieces. In Pika and Maltese’s chapter from their book that we read, they first discuss Macroeconomic policy. Macroeconomic policy is split into two types of policies, fiscal policy and monetary policy.... [tags: American economics, literature comparison]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- ... In Congresswoman Pelosi’s website, she has been actively assisting her constituent by securing earthquake relief on 1998, fighting hard to improve Bay transportation, and securing funds to rehabilitate public housing units. This implies how important for a legislator to achieve its constituents’ satisfaction and respond among salient issues within respective districts. Thus, most legislators always allocate enough personnel and staff resources for any constituent services such as handling casework and managing pork barrels strategically.... [tags: political, lawmakers, constistution]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Fox News: The Rise of Politically Partisan Infotainment Consumers now have access to more information than in any other point in history, and are being subjected to partisan news on a larger scale than ever before. Partisan news outlets, such as Fox News and MSNBC tailor their broadcasts to appeal to the confirmation bias of their target audiences. Each network not only chooses which stories to run based on the interest of their target demographic, but also frames the facts in a way that leads consumers to believe that their own beliefs, however factual, are correct, which aligns with a scientific principle known as confirmation bias.... [tags: history, information, bias, fox news]
2023 words (5.8 pages)
- It is likely that in our lifetime we will witness some form of educational reform. We need to be involved in this process to ensure that the reformed educational system focuses on knowledge, not propaganda. Education is the most powerful propaganda known to man. The subtle seduction of education can accomplish what legions of soldiers cannot. It can change the prospects of a generation. It can illuminate the darkest corners of the mind. It can shade the luminous opportunities of the future. A good education can ennoble a populace, granting them access to true knowledge, freeing them from the chains of ignorance and despair.... [tags: Educational reform, politics]
699 words (2 pages)
- There are many different types of sanders in our world that vary from random orbit, spindle, belt, disc, hand, vibrating, drum, detail, and so forth. A sander is a power tool that is used for smoothing a surface with sandpaper or other abrasive materials. Each woodworking sander serves a certain purpose so that you may be able to complete your task more efficiently. They vary from being a manual sander to being an electrically powered sander. Typically in the world of carpenters and woodworkers they will usually stick with power sanders just because they are more time consuming and there is less manual labor that is necessary.... [tags: disc and belt sander machines]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- The Effect of Political Machines on the Democratic System “A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude To make them love it is the task assigned” - Aldous Huxley (Quotes, 1). Through the strong sarcasm in this statement the negative effect political bosses have on a liberal society can be seen.... [tags: Papers]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Ten years ago, only specialty food stores carried organic foods in great quantity, making them almost as rare as novelty items. Today Canadians are moving towards a healthier lifestyle by consuming organic foods to such an extent, that the organic industry is now enticing for businesses that wish to profit from a niche market. Thus we, Nirav Patel, Jason Quan, Srinidhi Sridharan, and Rahul Srinivasan have developed a new line of specialty vending machines, with the objective of distributing organic foods to consumers by creating an “accessibility” factor that is rarely associated with the industry.... [tags: Organic Food, Vending Machines, Canada,]
474 words (1.4 pages)
- I do not support the I.R.A, as I do not support Marxist or terrorists. The political wing of the I.R.A (Sinn Fein) is communists hiding under a nationalist stance. Gerry Adams is the man who heads the Sinn Fein; the man who replaced Martin McGuinness as the leader of the Sinn Fein. The actual I.R.A has splintered due to the communist tyranny the Sinn Fein has invoked on them. There’s the real I.R.A who are nationalists and wanted the British out. The will not talk to the British, as they feel they are foreign invaders.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1496 words (4.3 pages)