The very first paper that I had to do was to choose two poems that we went over in class and compare and contrast both poems, explore images and ideas about relationships between parents and children in order to connect these stories. This assignment was pretty clear about what I had to do. However, I did not do well with that paper and I know the reasons why. First, I had so many grammatical errors which I knew would happen, but I do not take that as a huge problem. Secondly, every paper has to have a thesis. I thought my thesis was good enough, however, the review I got from my peer made me realize my thesis was not clear. ‘"These two poems show how the relationship between children and parents can become complicated because of not sharing feelings to each other" is needed to take care. I don 't clear idea from it.’ (Peer Review 1-Islam) What I understood from this comment was that I had to change the thesis. When I looked at the thesis and read from research, then I understood how a thesis statement looks like. My thesis looked like my opinion about the two poems. Next was following the paper’s outline. ...
... middle of paper ...
... I am now perfect at all of these improvements neither I will be perfect because no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I still believe, I made so many grammatical mistake in this reflection paper. Before I registered for this class, in English 125 I heard I have to write a research paper in English 126. I was not that scare at the beginning of this English 126 class. However, when the assignment came closer I started to freak out because I have never done any research paper before and I did not know where and how to find sources. However, taking this class helped me to learn how to use citations, how to find sources, how to form a thesis question. I would say the most difficult thing and I did not improve was finding or creating a proper thesis statement. However, I believe I will improve more by practicing the mistakes by doing them over and over again.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout this semester, my writing skills have improved. I came into this class as an immature writer but by practicing certain skills such as being able to execute and understand writing as a process, being able to explain and critique my capacities for reflection and meta-cognition, and my ability to classify and critique my capacities at evaluating and selecting sources I’ve become a better writer. I’ve come to understand that writing is a process. Writing a great piece doesn’t happen overnight, in one sitting.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Source, Reflection]
1722 words (4.9 pages)
- Effective writing can be an essential task in many career fields. It is another way of communication that can be viewed by numerous people at any given time. Learning to be able to do this effectively can be challenging, but yet very rewarding in the end. During this course I have been able to refine some of my skills in writing and learned various methods to improve this process. Let’s discuss why I write, my beliefs about writing, and how that has changed over the past semester. I have written many papers in my life for school because I had to, but I write shorter reports and longer research based papers for my career field.... [tags: Writing, Writing style, Parenthetical referencing]
1204 words (3.4 pages)
- When I started out my first semester in college I honestly thought college would be easy, kind of like you see in the movies. Unfortunately, I was very wrong. English has never been my strongest subject, or even a decent subject for me. During high school I took the easiest English classes offered because I never realized how important writing actually is. I now know I was only hurting myself by doing so. EN100 was really the first English class I had taken, and taken seriously in a long time. I had never written a research paper and never learned how to correctly cite sources.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Better, Time management]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Throughout the semester, I have developed many skills and have greatly improved on my writing. At the beginning of the year, I had no clue how to format a paper in APA. I had only used MLA format before this year, so I was clueless. Also, I never knew how to correctly write an introduction. I did not know that an introduction needed to include a hook. I knew that it needed a thesis statement but I was never writing my thesis correctly, until this year. Finally, I never knew how to correctly include transitions.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Rhetoric, Rhetorical question]
790 words (2.3 pages)
- Reading and writing is a skill that many people begin to develop as a small child, from a time before they can even remember. As adults it seems so effortless to read and write, until you compare the style of writing from a child’s story to that of a scholarly article. If you look closer you see that there are many differences including sentence structure, terminology, and format. When you step into the academic world of college, you begin to see that writing can take many differing forms depending on what field you enter.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Essay, Writing style]
1577 words (4.5 pages)
- Throughout this semester in English 102, I feel that my writing and analytical skills have improved. I have always had trouble in writing ever since I was young kid. In my essays I would have words misspelled or my sentences would not flow because I would leave words left out. This course has taught me to always revise my essay and read it out loud to check for mistakes. I have also really learned to analysis different things like advertisements, books, articles, and other things that were assigned throughout this course.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Better, Essays]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- Over the course of the semester, I have learned to apply crucial aspects of writing to my papers. For example, prior to this class I did not know how to brainstorm I would start writing without jotting down the main points of my essay or what I was going to write about. Throughout this semester I have been focusing on brainstorming first and it has helped me so much. In the beginning, I would not do this and I can tell from the quality of my first essays to my essays now, how much brainstorming has improved the level of my work.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Revision, Writing process]
1055 words (3 pages)
- As the fall semester comes to an end this essay provides a perfect opportunity to discuss my experiences in this class. It is has become apparent that I have grown as a writer and a communicator because of my presence in this class. I am appreciative of my growth resulting from this class and excited to apply my improved and new skills it to my future. This English 150 class has improved my skills in the all four categories of W.O.V.E. as well as my writing habits through the completion of the assignments, reading responses and in class participation.... [tags: Writing, Learning, Thought, Mind]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- English class in high school used to be one of the classes I dreaded the most. From discussions to numerous essays that we were required to participate in, I disliked it all. Don’t get me wrong, the subject of English itself is something that I enjoy--the teachers however are a different story. I would have to say that my first semester of college English was a major turning point for my love-hate relationship of this class. Over these few months I have grown as a writer and learned new and useful skills for the future.... [tags: Writing, Rhetoric, High school]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- Throughout this semester we have had to write many types of essays. Although this is a college English class there is still room for improvement. I made much improvement during the semester of the class. I was able to identify my weaknesses. I learned how to make improvements to the areas I was having problems in. Although each essay we did was different I was able to begin with one essay and throughout the semester turn it into two other essays. I was able to change my style of writing to fit the type of audience I was working with.... [tags: my writing technique analysis]
978 words (2.8 pages)