I expected to find a larger increase in participation, and references to ethnicity, grit, and academic orientation in mentored s...
... middle of paper ...
... addition, mentored students were also more active in class discussions. Having a mentor of the same ethnicity may have not mattered much in this study because the mentoring sessions were not one-on-one. Students were accompanied by about six other students. If the mentor was not of the same ethnicity as the mentee, it may have not mattered as much because the student may have had peers in the mentoring session that were of the same ethnicity. However, being mentored by a mentor of the same ethnicity matters in terms of academic orientation. Future research should examine whether assigning someone a mentor and having students call someone their “mentor” will impact students’ experience of mentoring. Future research should also examine whether having a mentor of the same ethnicity and being mentored in one-on-one sessions will impact students’ experience of mentoring.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Research has shown that having a classroom library increases literacy development in students, but how. This sparked my interest in researching how having a classroom library helps in literacy development. In particular, I looked at the type of texts that should be in a classroom library, the importance of classroom libraries and how classroom libraries should be organised. In my research, I found strategies used by teachers when it comes to the classroom libraries use and set up and the ways in which the classroom library promotes reading.... [tags: Public library, Librarian, Library, Book]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- ... In fact, I invited her to my daughter’s birthday on the 27th. In fact, through the Global test Malinda and I had many similar answers and scores. The GLOBE test teaches us to understand how strongly we agreed or disagreed with different moral aspects and leadership factors. We both had very similar answers this reassured me that I am on the way top being the best leader. These questions help people to understand how their leadership skills are. The experience I had through week two and four reports helped me understand what I needed for the final mentor report.... [tags: leadership exercise]
582 words (1.7 pages)
- The three main competencies of the Mentor Role are "understanding yourself and others, interpersonal communication and developing others" (Hesketh et al pp 4). Because high school students are less experienced the author used this role continually in an effort to develop his students and guide them through their learning experiences. Per Hesketh et al the author must determine his own strengths and weaknesses so he can maximize them. "Your weaknesses can be overcome through self-development" (Hesketh et al.... [tags: Mentor Model Study]
1877 words (5.4 pages)
- The UV Mentor Program at UVU, of which I am part, is housed in The Department of Student Success and Leadership Studies. The mission of the UV Mentor Program is to maximize student opportunities for leadership in and facilitation of self-knowledge and self-awareness, academic learning strategies and study skills, student socialization and engagement. The mentors are a group of peers who partner with faculty to help students make the transition into college. Each mentor is assigned a class to attend where they collaborate with and support the instructor; contribute in the planning and facilitation of class; and provide classroom, group and individual mentoring to students.... [tags: Education, High school, Coaching, Student]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- Chattahoochee Technical College (CTC) would benefit from having a Returning Student Concierge in several different ways. A Returning Student Concierge “is the single-point of contact at a college or university who helps returning adult students navigate the application, enrollment, and registration processes and overcome barriers to college success” (Education, 2010). Through my research, the amount of material I found on this subject was limited, but what I did find has shown me this position is well needed at CTC.... [tags: University, Education, Student]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- “The public needs to be moved away fro the idea that the criminal justice system can provide the answer to crime. Indeed, our responses to crime often exacerbate the problem.” Matthew Campbell, Former Assistant State’s Attorney, Ellicott City, MD. Significance Despite the passing of Brown versus Board of Education in the 1954, inequality in education still persists and the long term implications have damaging economic impacts especially for minority populations. There is a large body of literature that addresses the long-term effect of education inequality that persist over one's life.... [tags: How School Safety vs Student Achievement ]
2764 words (7.9 pages)
- As I observe my mentor teacher and his classroom environment, I have come to realize the types of characteristics that are being presented from his students. As the students enter the classroom, they hold a privilege to have their homework and binder work ready. There are certain rules in which they have to follow everyday when they step inside the classroom. They have to be attentive to what they are doing and making sure they understand what they are responsible for doing. As I entered the classroom the first time, I noticed that there was enough lighting to see the whole room.... [tags: Education, Student, Homework help service]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- College tuition has increased in price throughout the years and it is only getting higher by the minute. However, the bigger question is why tuition is skyrocketing in this manner. Tuition at a private four year university in 1971 being $1,832 and $428 for a public one per year (Puzzanghera 13A). However, Puzzanghera also points out that tuition has become way out of reach for most student by prices climbing up to $31,231 per year in 2015 (Puzzanghera 13A). Many students may want to attend a prestigious four-year institution but not many of them are actually able to do so as a result of the affluent prices.... [tags: Higher education, University, Education, Student]
1348 words (3.9 pages)
- 2. Introduction a. Problem statement / Research problem (Question 2) Over the course of their degree studies, student teachers gain valuable theorical knowledge of teaching without really understanding how this knowledge will be practically applied once they enter the classroom for the first time. This is why teaching practicals are of paramount importance: student teachers are afforded an opportunity to put their theory into practice within a controlled environment, under the supervision and guidance of a mentor teacher.... [tags: classroom, lesson plan, management]
2747 words (7.8 pages)
- Student and teacher relationships have many benefits for both teacher and student in the classroom. There are many different types of these relationships, from being friends to being mentors to even being something of a mentor or parental figure. However, in recent years, a new type of relationship has come into existence, one that is neither healthy nor legal. When student and teacher relationships blossom into something that is more than just a friendship, people can get hurt, families can be torn apart, communities baffled, and fellow students put at a disadvantage.... [tags: Teacher-Student Sex]
1258 words (3.6 pages)