Passing is perhaps one of the most important components of the sport. A game would be impossible without the assistance of passing and team work. To successfully carryout a pass, many factors have to be taken into account. In order to begin a pass, first a player must exert a force on the basketball. Once the ball leaves the hands of the player, it becomes a projectile. A projectile is acted upon by two independent forces: the x and y components. The x component is the force exerted on the ball by the player while the y component is pulled by the force of gravity, -9.8m/s². As a result of the independent components, the ball will travel in a downward parabolic path, or trajectory. Since the ball travels a downward path, the player throws the ball towards a target located a little higher than where the player wishes the ball would go in order to compensate for the downward path. Another factor that affects the successfulnes...
... middle of paper ...
... the player’s shoes must have good traction, friction that allows movement. Good traction means that the coefficient of friction between the shoe and the floor must be high. A player must also use static friction when planting their feet in order to stop and turn without sliding across the floor due to static friction being greater than the sliding friction.
In conclusion, physics is involved in all things around us. Whether in a classroom, in a car, or playing basketball physics concepts can be applied to the action. Although it is not very practical for a person to stop and calculate the angle, velocity, and position, the use of physics does make it understandable and possible. As much as the physics of basketball seems insignificant and ludicrous, to calculate the principles are in fact very valuable to a player without them even knowing they are doing physics.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are many concepts in shooting including arc, backspin, projectile motion and trajectory. For my science project I was interested in learning if shooting from different starting places made a person more likely to make a shot. I think the most crucial element of a shot is arc. It is important for a person to have a medium arc. If their arc is to flat or to high it will be very challenging for them to score. Without a good arc players would not nearly score as much. One of the most important, and sometimes most overlooked techniques of shooting is backspin.... [tags: Science Research, Science, Research, ]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Archery, a sport that dates back to centuries before today, has been modernized to become more efficient and high tech. The Egyptian made the first complex bow in 2800 BC. The bow was made from sheep intestines and the arrow was light and efficient enough to be shot from 400 yards away and still penetrate the armor used at that time. Archery was a skill set that was prized in the military, especially in Rome. However, in 16th century a new tide was turning in Europe, firearms were slowly replacing the bow and arrow as military weapons.... [tags: trajectory, weapon, target]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- Projectile Motion Lab Introduction: The purpose of this experiment was to find how changing the angle and velocity would affect the distance the object went, height the object went, and time the object was in the air. Before this lab I could not tell how the angle and velocity would change the results. I needed to figure out what angle and what velocity made the object go farther or make it stay in the air longer. I also found mass will affect the height and distance. I used the site Galileo and Einstein to figure out these factors.... [tags: angle, velocity, distance relationship]
696 words (2 pages)
- ... To begin with we will show the calculations done to obtain these values (Shown on paper). Then we will calculate the horizontal displacement. In order to find the horizontal displacement of the car, one must calculate time to avoid having two unknowns in the displacement equation. To calculate time one must use the calculated vertical velocity. Since we cannot have two unknowns in the time equation one must find a time where velocity is known which is half way; V = 0m/s. Since this way one will only calculate the time for half the journey, one must multiply the answer by 2 giving one the full duration (refer to paper for calculations).... [tags: 2 fast 2 furious movie]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction Physics define the rules by which we live our physical existence. Many of us go about our day to day lives without any true understanding of the Laws which govern how we interact with our surroundings. Physics is our way of making sense of the forces which act upon us and shape the way we accomplish even the most menial of tasks. From walking to driving to playing a game of catch, anyone can see physics in action. A computer game programmer must take a special look at the forces at work around us.... [tags: physics video game computer]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- Experiment #1 –Variable Forces Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion states that acceleration is directly proportional to net force when mass is constant. This experiment dealing with variable forces has as its objective the verification of this law. In this experiment this law is tested for verification in straight forward way. Through the use of a Force Sensor and an Accelerometer, data collection of observations and measurements that a force exerts on a small cart along with the cart’s accelerations are to be determined.... [tags: Force, Newton's laws of motion]
714 words (2 pages)
- Understanding Basketball When Tyler says he’s going to play basketball at the rec center, it’s never a casual game. His competitive spirit always gets the best of him, and a friendly game is now a serious competition. The Groveport Recreational Center is his go to place. His face is so familiar the associates at the front desk immediately recognize him. I have very little grasp on the game of basketball. He, on the other hand, could have a doctorate in the game of basketball. The rec is a huge building with brown bricks and open windows at the front view.... [tags: Basketball, Game, College basketball, Play]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- The Basketball Association of America came from a league in North America, 1946; being one out of three professional basketball organizations. The Basketball Association of America (BAA) and another basketball organization, National Basketball League (NBL), formed together to become the National Basketball Association (NBA). Surprisingly, they came together after being big rivals, and fighting for three years over who gets the better players and the most fans to watch the action and most likely to see how much profit they can make from the basketball games.... [tags: hoop, national basketball, nba, ]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- Before I talk about the interview it is necessary to illustrate you with the differences in able body basketball and wheelchair basketball. The rules of wheelchair basketball and stand up basketball are very similar. The quarters are the length of 12 minutes. The shot clock is 24 seconds and once the ball hits the rim it resets. When the ball is in play you have 8 seconds to cross half court. Players can only be in the key for 3 seconds unless if the ball is being shot. When a player is inbounding the ball you have 5 seconds to pass the ball in.... [tags: Disability, Wheelchair, Basketball]
1744 words (5 pages)
- Investigating Free-falling Objects and Projectile Motions Aim: The aim of my experiment is to obtain results/ data and see whether a pattern can be distinguished or whether my data agrees with a theory or law. I'm going to try to undergo two investigations using the same apparatus, and look at the outcome of my results and see whether a firm conclusion can be made. For the two investigations, I'm going to look at free-falling objects and projectile motions: Investigation 1: Isaac Newton firstly discovered gravity when an apple fell on his head.... [tags: Papers]
618 words (1.8 pages)