Reflecting back on how I used to be aware of the audience of the genre in a text, I was writing very close to none because I did not care. Normally I would have just written the essay without even thinking about who was going to read it, or what was going on. I actually did not care who was going to read it. I remember some of my teachers in high school would ask what we thought the purpose was of the assignment that we were writing, and all or almost all would answer “because you are making us.” I never noticed that the audience, genre, and purpose played such a monumental role in the assignment. The Open Letter assignment required me to think about who I was writing to, and how I was going to write to them, along with writing the purpose very clearly. Not only was the audience important for writing a good Open Letter, I also did not know what that genre of writing was before this assignment. After taking this class I have learned that those little things that meant nothing to me before mean a lot, and help create a great written essay. Knowing what the genre, audience, and the purpose of a text is helps when you are reading and understanding the information.
Growing up with Dyslexia made it hard for me to read, a...
... middle of paper ...
...say in a quick, easy, and educated way. I was worried that I wasn’t going to have the right punctuation when sending it in. When getting the Email back after being graded, I saw that the only problem was that when I copied and pasted the work into an email it unformated itself. I am glad I learned how to properly use commas because those are what I really struggled with the most. I am excited about taking everything I have learned in this class out to help me in other daily life.
I am very happy with the decision I made at the beginning of the quarter to take this class. I don’t think I would have been as successful in the other English 101 classes. I have learned so much about my writing process, and ways to write a really good essay. Most importantly, I learned how time management is the key to a well written essay. Thank you for teaching me so much this quarter.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As the first semester of my sophomore year wraps up, I begin to realize that I have learned a lot in all of my classes. The class that I learned the most from has definitely been my English 111 course. This class have given me so many opportunities to improve my writing skills. With all of the success I’ve had in this class, I believe I will do just fine with writing later in my life. Over this entire course, we have written around 5 papers. This does not include this paper. Each of these papers were very different from each other.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Better, Writing system]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- At the beginning of this quarter I was worried I was going to struggle with my writing process, because I have never written anything above the high school level, and even then I struggled writing those assignments. From the start of the class to now, the end, I can tell that my writing has improved in vast amounts. In a few months in English with support I have gone from copying essays, which was what I did in high school, to writing my own essays. When this quarter is over I am going to be very proud of how I did.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Writing process, Paper]
1443 words (4.1 pages)
- Walking myself into this course I was nervous about the class. I was worried about if my time management and the whole English aspect was going to work. English is not my best subject and is one I struggle with. Although as time went by I enjoyed an abundant amount of assignments that were assigned. One assignment that I enjoyed the most was the major paper, Emulate a Writing. The assignment was a struggle but I learned about what I could do with my writing. I surprised myself and didn 't realized how invested I was into the assignment.... [tags: Writing, High school, Paper, Writing process]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- I have always known that writing was not my strong point. Entering writing 101 in September I was very much afraid. I knew that the expectations would be very high for this course; thus it would be more difficult than any other writing class I had previously taken. At first writing was a nightmare for me, but thanks to the assistance from professor Smart and my tutors, I have improved drastically in my writing skills and, as a result I am now a better writer. During the course of four months, I have learned so much.... [tags: essay, paper, outlines, grammar, sources]
954 words (2.7 pages)
- How my Essays Grew English 1113 allowed me to discover many strengths and weaknesses through my writing. After writing what felt like a million essays, I felt accomplished and proud of my writing. The first paper was a solid B, not terrible, but there was definitely room for improvement. My last essay, however, was a high A, a representation of my hard work and effort over the semester. Throughout the 18 weeks of taking English 1113, I wrote stronger formulated theses, composed more detailed outlines, and wrote essays with smoother transitions.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Thesis or dissertation]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Writing is one of the things I considered as daunting. I have always loved reading, analyzing literature and engaging with author’s thoughts and emotions. But I was never good at putting it on a paper. By taking this class, I have learned to appreciate the beauty of not only writing but also improving it. Throughout the coursework, we were given tasks of writing essays on intriguing pieces of work and a research paper. I have greatly sharpened my critical analysis skills and rather than focusing on proposed meanings or biographical background.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Paper, Better]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- In one semester of English 101 I have learned so many things about writing. I used to believe that writing was just putting words on paper, but have since learned that writing is much more than that, I now understand that writing is a way of exploring my mind and of making connections with other writers and readers. Over the course of the semester I have been learning to write in a way that uses the skills of reflection, critical thinking, and much more. I have used these skills to compose two academic essays that I am submitting in a portfolio to determine my final grade in English 101.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Critical thinking, Thought]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- I was always taught one of the best ways to learn how to get better at something is to talk, and learn from someone else who is interested in the same topic. Compare ideas, learn what your good at, and learn what you need to improve on to better your skills. I interviewed my younger sister who is a senior in High School at Gibson Southern High School. She is enrolled in the senior English composition class which is a transfer course that is equivalent to t the he same English course I am taking as a sophomore in college.... [tags: Writing process, Writing, Better, Paper]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- My entire academic life I have found a passion and love for English, particularly writing. In high school I enjoyed writing so much that within my junior and senior year I was constantly taking writing courses to get better and explore my passion for it. Therefore, coming into college and having to write papers every week was not a problem but something I looked forward to doing. I was looking forward to learning new techniques, different essay assignments, and expanding my ideas and mind within English.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Foster care, High school]
1727 words (4.9 pages)
- Over the past few months, I have learned several different writing techniques. While all of the different types of papers were difficult to write, I believe that my writing skills have improved. In fact, I did not understand all of the assignments, but I did try to do my best on all of them. While I should have used more transitional words in between sentences and paragraphs, I feel that I learned a great deal. It is true that I have not had very much writing experience and the writing process is difficult for me.... [tags: writing, ]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Depictions Of Biblical Figures Is Nothing New
- Analysis Of George Orwell 's ' The Great Gatsby '
- The Cold War On The World War II
- Aristotle 's Contributions On Mathematics
- The Education Team Performance May Be Hindered Due For The Different Cultural Backgrounds Of The Nurses
- Teenage Parent With Temperament Infant