How Does the Concentration of Copper II Sulphate Solution Affect Its Transparency?
Copper is a transition metal and one unique property of transition metals is to create different types colored compounds . Copper(II) sulfate, also known as cupric sulfate or copper sulphate, is the chemical compound with the chemical formula CuSO4. Existing as a gray white powered in anhydrous form however more commonly encountered salt in the laboratory is pentahydrate or (CuSO4·5H2O ) is bright blue in powdered form . In my experiment I used this bright blue powder by dissolving the powder in water leading to a exothermic reaction the exothermic reaction to create an aquo complex [Cu(H2O)6]2 .
In this experiment concentration of the copper II Sulphate solution is being varied to determine its effect on transparency. These concentrations will be made from dilutions of 1 mole copper II Sulphate solution provided. When this occurs the transparency can be recorded by the calorimeter that will in fact showcase how the dilution o...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electrolysis of Copper in Copper Sulphate Solution Introduction Aim This is an investigation into how temperature affects the amount of copper lost from the Anode and gained on the Cathode during electrolysis. Electrolysis isâ€¦ The chemical change by passing electric charge through certain conducting liquids (electrolytes). The current is conducted by migration of ions - negative ones from the Anode (positive electrode), and positive ones to the Cathode (negative electrode).... [tags: Papers]
1485 words (4.2 pages)
- Volume's Effect on a Copper Sulphate Solution We are trying to find out if the current though a copper sulphate solutions volume is increased. To find this information out I shall perform an experiment using the following equipment; · 1 power pack · 1 beaker · 2 carbon rods for anode and cathode · 1 ammeter · 1 measuring cylinder · 2 crocodile clip wirers I shall also be using 60cm3 volume of copper sulphate in my preliminary results to decide upon the concentration of copper sulphate and the voltage I shall use.... [tags: Papers]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- The Factors that Affect the Temperature Change Between Copper Sulphate and Iron Filings Aim The aim of this piece of coursework is toinvestigate the factors that affect the temperature change between Copper Sulphate and Iron filings. Affecting factors Ø The concentration of Copper Sulphate Solution (CuSO4) Ø The amount of Iron filings (Fe) used I have chosen to experiment using the 1st factor I will have to change the concentration of the Copper Sulphate Solution (CuSO4) Prediction I predict that the higher the concentration of CuSO4 the higher the concentration the higher the temperature rise.... [tags: Papers]
623 words (1.8 pages)
- The electrolysis of copper sulphate solution and copper electrodes Introduction: For my GCSE Chemistry assessment I will be investigating the electrolysis of copper sulphate solution with the copper (ii) plates. Aim: My intention for this observation is to find out how the current has an effect on the mass of copper deposited in the electrolysis of copper sulphate and copper (ii) plates. Safety Precautions: In this investigation I will make sure that everything is as safe as possible and that there are no chances of accidents occurring.... [tags: GCSE Chemistry Coursework Investigation]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- An Investigation Into The Effect Of An Electric Current On Copper Sulphate Solution Aim In this experiment my aim is to enforce and develop ideas about the investigation into the effect of an electrical current through copper sulphate solution. Safety - Electricity is dangerous - Aware of coppers sharp edges - Long hair tied back - Use of acids in experiment Diagram 1) Weigh the cathode 2) Set up apparatus below 3) After a minute, remove the copper and shake off the excess copper sulphate solution.... [tags: GCSE Chemistry Coursework Investigation]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- Transparency and opaqueness are two options for developers when making social media. The decision is important since it can lead to several different problems. These days, the more developers choose the transparency, the more problem occurs by it. Social media which pursues the transparency is same as glass because a user can clearly see others’ private information through the social media. However, we should not overlook the fact that other users can also see private information of the user because it is the base of privacy invasion.... [tags: Sociology, Crime, Victim, Transparency]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- An Investigation into Electrolysis - Copper Sulphate Introduction Decomposition caused by electricity is called electrolysis. The electrical energy causes a chemical change. When a salt is dissolved in water, its ions become free to move so the solution can be "electrolyzed." The products of the electrolysis depend on the chemical solution, its strength and the type of electrode. The cathode is negatively charged and therefore attracts to it positive ions. E.g. hydrogen. The more reactive substance stays in the solution whereas the less reactive is released and appears as a gas (hydrogen) or a coating of metal.... [tags: Papers]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- Synthesis of Barium Sulphate (BaSO4) 1. Experiment Details Experiment Title: Synthesis of Barium Sulphate (BaSO4) 2. Data-Time Group (DTG) 3. Aim To produce a pure sample of Barium Sulphate (BaSO4) of at least 0.50 grams. 4. Apparatus & Materials Chemicals used: Barium Nitrate, Ba(NO3)2 Sulphuric Acid, H2SO4 Lab equipment used: Glass beakers (2) Funnel (1) Filter paper (5) Conical flask (1) 5. Method 1. Collect 50 cm3 of Sulphuric Acid and 50 cm3 of Barium Nitrate in separate beakers.... [tags: Papers]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Investigation of the Factor that Affects the Change in Temperature Between Iron and Copper Sulphate In this investigation I am going to investigate a factor that effects the change in temperature between copper sulphate solution and iron filings. The variable involved in this investigation are: Â· The volume of copper sulphate Â· The mass of iron filings added Â· Rise in temperature Â· Concentration of the copper sulphate In this in investigation my input variable that I am going to change will be the mass of iron filings that I will place into the copper sulphate solution to see how the change in mass effects the rise in temperature of the solution.... [tags: Papers]
2236 words (6.4 pages)
To investigate the temperature change in a displacement reaction between Copper Sulphate Solution and Zinc Powder
- To investigate the temperature change in a displacement reaction between Copper Sulphate Solution and Zinc Powder Preliminary Experiment: Correlating Magnesium Powder and Copper Sulphate Solution ========================================================= I will mix 4cm of Magnesium ribbon and 50cm³ of Copper Sulphate Solution into a polystyrene cup until I find a reaction. =============================================================== Prediction ========== The magnesium will displace the copper and the temperature will rise.... [tags: GCSE Chemistry Coursework Investigation]
1074 words (3.1 pages)