The first piece of scholarship is by Barbara Lane’s Book (2015), Houses for A New World, delves into postwar housing. In her section on buyers, Lane (2015) is able to explore how the house and design preferences reflected experiences from The Great Depression and WWII (Lane, 2015). Parallel to how Lane links the house and past political and social events through oral history I foresee using oral history in a similar manner. It is important to understand what past experiences and events influence design decisions and the values and ideologies held.
Charles Martin’s (1984) book, Hollybush, is a study that examines how residents constructed houses in the Appalachian Community in the hills of Tennessee. Martin used the physical home remains and images to examine home construction in understanding the social relationships in a community. The changes in construction and craftsmanship signify changes in...
... middle of paper ...
...houses faced shared spaces with cul-de-sacs. This design choice of house orientation created an environment where residents could view others and engage with each other due to the shared spaces (Andrzejewski, 2009). The maps were an avenue to showcase a culture and the social relationships that existed with the residents.
These five pieces of scholarship showcased how objects can represent social ideology and culture. The approaches to reveal the cultural statement that the house, neighborhood or community showcased are varied, but are all part of the tools used in material cultural studies. The key to each piece of scholarship is how the researcher used the sources to examine human behavior and relationships through objects. Each researcher used the house as a symbol to explore the influences of political events, economic events, social relationships, and ideology.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- If I were able to acquire $150,000 in cash in order to repair and revamp a distressed real estate foreclosure, I believe that I would be able to update and renovate the house up in a manner that would increase the value of the property tenfold. I have been blessed to be born into a family that has inherent knowledge about how to repair and what to do. My father is a sculptor and owns multiple tools and machines that I would be able to rent at a much lower rate than those from a hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowe’s.... [tags: aesthetic asperct, renovation, repair]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Identity Identity, as defined by Jonathan Friedman, is positional and can be determined by one’s place in a larger network of relations (36). Live and Become depicts the life of a young, Ethiopian boy who travels across countries in search of his identity. After losing most of his family to famine and disease, Schlomo, his assigned Jewish name, moves to Israel as a replacement child of a mother who had lost her son. As his mother sent him away, she told him to “Go. Live. Become.” But become what.... [tags: cultural identity, Live and Become]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- The ‘Sensation-Brain Process Identity Theory’ posed by J.J.C. Smart is the view that a sensation is a just a brain process. In the strict sense of identity a sensation and a brain processes are two names for one thing. Similarly, the one thing people refer to when they talk about ‘the morning star’ or ‘the evening star’ is Venus. There exists only one physical component to this world from which we derive other statements like ‘the morning star is the last star you can see in the morning.’ ‘The morning star’ happens to be Venus.... [tags: Brain, Process]
750 words (2.1 pages)
- 7Ps: Product- Green Renovations provides a service of renovating a client’s house in an eco-friendly manner i.e., using resources that are sustainable in nature, renewable, and less harmful to the environment. For example- installing rainwater harvesting system, put solar panels for several purposes, waste management, water recycling etc. Price- There are 4 basic plans incorporated, the prices are based on these- Small plan- includes any one of the following- Bathroom/ kitchen/ Bedroom for Rs.1,00,000 Medium plan- includes any two- Bathroom+ kitchen/ bedroom+ bathroom/ kitchen + bedroom for Rs.... [tags: Ecology, Environment, Renovation]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- Zora Neal Hurston’s book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, reveals one of life’s most relevant purposes that stretches across cultures and relates to every aspect of enlightenment. The novel examines the life of the strong-willed Janie Crawford, as she goes down the path of self-discovery by way of her past relationships. Ideas regarding the path of liberation date all the way back to the teachings of Siddhartha. Yet, its concept is still recycled in the twenty-first century, as it inspires all humanity to look beyond the “horizon,” as Janie explains.... [tags: Identity]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- Soldier Field is an attraction for thousands throughout the state of Illinois. Soldier Field was first built in 1924 as a multipurpose sport arena dedicated to war veterans. At the time it was known as Municipal Grant Park Stadium. Municipal Grant Park Stadium was home to many events before the Chicago Bears came to play in 1971. A controversial renovation was proposed in 1986. The cost would be over 660 million dollars. If renovated, Soldier Field would be stripped of its National Landmark Status.... [tags: Soldier Field, Chicago, Bears, historic,]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- Identity is very important to each person, the meaning of the words and actions reflect to the person’s specification. There are multiple definitions of identity, more theorists have intense debates of the real basis of describing, whether it is ontological or metaphysical. Sex and gender are both formations of identifying a person. Additionally, sex was acquired from birth with “biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women” (World Health Organization, 2016). For example, male and female have different reproductive organs on the emphasis that women give birth and men do not.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Gender identity, Sociology]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Accordingly, this paper will provide a conceptual discussion using relevant theory that critically analyses tensions between self-identity and social identity. These theories propose that aspects of identity driving behaviour is dependent on the context. Foremost, identity theory is reflective of the correlation concerning the roles that people enact in society and then therefore, includes the identities that those roles exhibit (Hogg, et al., 1995, p. 266). Striker, followed by Tajfel and Turner, compose that social identity theory consist of two levels: personal identity and social identity (Hogg, et al., 1995, p.... [tags: Sociology, Identity, Social psychology, Identity]
1299 words (3.7 pages)
- When looking to remodel your bathroom, it is a good idea to review bathroom renovation ideas that can help you to successfully complete your project. One particular thing to keep in mind is to search for ideas that can help you to complete your bathroom project within your budget. By using these ideas for your bathroom, you will be able to transform your space from an ordinary bathroom area into an exciting centerpiece of your home. One of the best bathroom renovation ideas that will help you stay within your budget is to look for quality bathroom vanities that provide ample storage space.... [tags: Bathroom Vanities, Accessories]
565 words (1.6 pages)
- Several years ago, Harvard University began planning a $1 billion renovation project for its 12 residential colleges, which includes 44 historic buildings totaling more than 2 million square feet. Harvard committed itself to achieving ambitious goals with respect to energy conservation as part of the building renovation project. In particular, Harvard seeks to achieve: Substantial improvements in its energy efficiency; Major gains in energy sustainability; and At least a 30 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions associated with its use of energy.... [tags: Project Proposal]
1792 words (5.1 pages)