From the first day of recruit training to a one’s retirement formation, the precision of close order drill is engrained in every Marine’s mind and body. Being in the corps, the desire to achieve perfection in instilled in all of us whether it is in drill, our jobs or our lives in general. The precision of Staff Sgt. Steve Reichert, a scout sniper assigned to Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, saved the lives of his squad on April 4, 2004 in Lutafiyah, Iraq. While his squad was pinned down by rocket propelled grenades, machine-gun and small-arms fire; Reichert made the shots from 1,614 meters, approximately a mile away, killing two insurgents and wounding two more. According to his platoon leader’s account, “His accuracy was the deciding factor in the outcome of the firefight. ” Reichert’s discipline and precision under pressure saved the lives of his Marines and earned his the Bronze Star Medal for Valor. This Marine’s dedication to his job and his ability to use his sniper rifle requires the same amount of discipline and exactness needed to perform close order drill correctly. Drill is black and white, either you execute the moves properly or you do not. Placement of hands, feet, rifles and swords need to be exa...
... middle of paper ...
Marine Corps Times, "Marine officer to receive Silver Star for heroics in Camp Bastion attack." Last
modified December 5, 2013. Accessed January 25, 2014.
Reel, Scott. U.S. Marine Corps, "MSOB Marine awarded Silver Star for Afghanistan efforts ." Last modified
December 11, 2013. Accessed January 25, 2014.
U.S. Marine Corps , "Cpl. William T. Perkins Jr. Medal of Honor Citation." Last modified October 12, 1967. Accessed
January 25, 2014. http://web.archive.org/web/20070222174747/http://www.usmc.mil/moh.nsf/ 000003c919889c0385255f980058f5b6/0000033ba9f47a7385255fa40060dad1?OpenDocument.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Concepts of close order drill have been used in every conflict since the inception of the U.S. Marine Corps; the practice still proves useful in the twenty-first century. It is much more than a recruiting tactic used by the Silent Drill Platoon to draw civilians to military service. This art form has been set aside in nearly all Marine Corps units after a decade of war; even though the principles of close order drill increase combat efficiency by instilling precision, automatic response to orders and produce assertive leaders.... [tags: U.S marine corps, precision]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- “Clean water is not limitless; it needs to be protected” and natural gas drilling jeopardizes our clean water. Developing our energy resources can not come at the expense of our environmental resources – our water, our land, and our ecosystems. Therefore as a resident of Pennsylvania I do take a stand against natural gas drilling hoping to protect our environment resources and wildlife. Over the past few years natural gas drilling in Pennsylvania has become a popular topic of controversy. The reason this topic is so controversial to a Pennsylvania resident is because of the impact it has on our environment.... [tags: Environmental Issues, Water Pollution]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- (intro/ Sebastiano) Although the forever ethical question about how ethical it is to drill oil and gas knowing the high risks and disastrous consequences due to oil spills, the oil and gas industry is something the globe highly depends on. Everyone is fast to point the finger when an error happens but at the end of the day the average person that watches the news and thinks; how bad a company can be for letting such a disaster happen is the same one that fuels this huge and global industry. So who is there to blame.... [tags: ExxonMobil, Petroleum, Exxon Valdez oil spill]
1679 words (4.8 pages)
- As a resident of Pennsylvania I take the position that at the present time, along with other residents, environmental groups, local governments, and even businesses that we are against drilling for natural gas here in our state at this time. Developing our energy resources can not come at the expense of our environmental resources – our water, our land, and our ecosystems. Over the past few years natural gas drilling in Pennsylvania has become a popular topic of controversy. The reason this topic is so controversial to a Pennsylvania resident is because of the impact it has on our environment.... [tags: Environment ]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- The International Community has a Right to Intervene in Sovereign States in order to end Serious Human Rights Abuses. Discuss. Humanitarian intervention is definitely one of the most controversial subjects of the recent decades- among states, international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and academia. The centre of the debate is the clash of traditional principles of state sovereignty and new adopted norms on use of force for humanitarian purposes. Despite the political controversies between the countries, humanitarian intervention is now an international norm which calls for action anytime there are serious mass life threatening occurrences in any country.... [tags: Responsibility to Protect Research Papers]
3318 words (9.5 pages)
- Since its adoption by world leaders at the World Summit in 2005, the Responsibility to Protect (herein R2P) has been hailed as a major achievement in protecting populations from genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity, or ethnic cleansing that would be committed by rulers. However, some see the R2P not as an effective human right instrument for civilians’ protection as it appears to be another tool for imperialism. My position in this essay is that I believe the R2P doctrine is a considerable achievement in world politics as it signals to potential perpetrators of mass atrocities that the world would no longer stand by, but will use force when necessary to protect innocent civilians.... [tags: Political Science]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- Beowulf Prepares for Battle Once Again The section in which Beowulf gets ready for another monster begins with Hrothgar informing him of Aeschere's death. The murder has been committed by Grendel's mother who comes to avenge her son's death. This is the proper thing for her to do in this society. Revenge was of great importance in Pagan society. It was the norm to avenge a murder, especially if no wergild was paid. Hrothgar offers Beowulf additional wealth if he can find and kill the female monster.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- Drill Bits When most people think of drill bits they think of drill bits they think of the simple tool that can be found in any house or machine shop. The drill bits are relatively simple in design and are typically used for drilling through wood and metals. Most people don’t realize that when companies drill in the earth for oil they also use drill bits. However, the drill bits used in this process are very complicated in nature, not to mention costly. These drill bitts cost on average between $30,000 and $50,000 dollars, but can cost as in the 150,000+ range.... [tags: Drilling Technology]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- In the story "So Much Water So Close To Home" a young girl is raped, killed and found in a river where four men are fishing. What makes this story interesting is that after discovering the body they did not report it until after they left, three days later. When one of the men who discovered her, the husband of the narrator, Stuart returns home he doesn't tell his wife about the incident until the following morning. Because of this, Claire believes that all men are responsible for the murder of the girl.... [tags: Carver Water Close Home Analysis]
1300 words (3.7 pages)
- Drill-Bit Manufacturing company, Inc. wants to license its product out to Mexico. Dill-Bit should take certain steps to protect its IPR. Within the Mexico licensing agreement, Drill- Bit manufacturing should lay out what its expectations are and how they should be met. Drill-Bits success largely depends on the quality of its products. This has been apparent in both the home market and over seas. Its German manufacturer has kept the same standards as in the U.S. which has lead to a licensing agreement that has been completely satisfactory.... [tags: Case Study Solution]
1140 words (3.3 pages)