During the 1970s, life lacked what many consider a necessity today: a personal computer. Major competition in making the best software and electronics didn’t yet exist. Bill Gates’ addiction for computer coding created something that changed technology and shaped life today. Bill Gates has become significant in the United States by using his brilliance in technology and business to make an impact; he reinvented computer operating systems and software with Microsoft, and is responsible for several philanthropic efforts.
Bill Gates programmed in school, which was typing out the specific coded software instructions to control the operations of the computer. This began the foundation of what was his tremendous impact. It started in 1975, when Gates and his classmate Paul Allen used the computer language BASIC, or the Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, for microcomputers in their school. Keith Ferrell states, “Microsoft began in 1975 as an informal business partnership between former schoolmates Bill Gates and Paul Allen. The two men adapted the programming language BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) for use with the earliest home computer, the MITS (Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems) Altair 8800” (Ferrell). Bill later dropped out of Harvard to publish and market their program they had coded together. In 1980, Microsoft was selected by IBM to design the operating system for its first personal computer (Ferrell). Their operating system was very different and new. According to Ferrell:
In 1985, Microsoft introduced the first of a series of operating systems called Windows. These programs employ a graphical user interface (GUI), which allows people to issue commands by pointing to on-scre...
... middle of paper ...
... revolutionize the lives of others as Bill Gates has, for he opened the floodgates of today’s technology and personal computers.
"Bill Gates." America the Beautiful. Grolier Online, n.d. Web. 6 Feb 2014.
Ferrell, Keith. "Microsoft Corporation." World Book Student. World Book, 2014. Web. 13 Feb. 2014.
"Gates Foundation." Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia. Grolier Online, 2014. Web. 5 Feb. 2014.
Lohr, Steve. " Microsoft Seeks Path Beyond Gates’s Legacy ." New York Times 27 6 2008, n. pag. Web. 6 Feb. 2014.
Microsoft By the Numbers . 2013 . Chart. Microsoft Web. 11 Feb 2014.
" #1 Bill Gates ." Forbes . Forbes.com LLC™ , n.d. Web. 10 Feb 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the United States, public schools have financial difficulties. They are also impacted by reducing enrolments and cuts in local, state and federal funding, which the result is eliminating the programs such as music, art, and physical education. Therefore, some corporation and individual donors start to help the public schools to prevent them shutting down. Bill and Melinda Gates, Eli Broad, and Walter Annenberg are the funders which donate millions of dollars to the public school in order to improve public education.... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
1687 words (4.8 pages)
- Empowering the World Bill Gates once said, “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.” It 's no secret that our world is facing many daunting issues, such as poverty, misogny, racism, and discrimination, but there are those who work towards making our world a safe haven for all its inhabitants. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a private organization that extends globally, is one such group that has focused on the betterment of the people. They turn their focus out into the global world, as well as helping out in the United States.... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – A Tradition of Giving Both the Gates and French families instilled the values of volunteerism and civic engagement. Our families believed that if life happens to bless you, you should use those gifts as well and as wisely as you can. ¬– Bill and Melinda Gates In 2000, the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda French Gates, founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation also known as the Gates Foundation. The Gates Foundation has a diverse global presence with its headquarters in Seattle, Washington and other offices in India, China, Europe, Middle East, and several regions in Africa (Foundation fact sheet, 2015, para.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- Becoming the richest man in the world, Bill Gates is one of the most influential men. Not only is Bill Gates one of the most influential figures in the world, but he is also one of the most influential figures in the business world. Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington. Gates was born into already well established family. “His father, William Henry Gates Jr., was a successful lawyer, and his mother, Mary Maxwell, was chairwoman of United Way International.”(Stevenson).... [tags: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- Bill Gates not only in America, but also the world has caused a mammoth effect. Bill Gates is the man people credited for creating the success of Microsoft, and the Xbox gaming console. However, Forbes magazine says, “The world will remember Bill Gates”(Thorpe). Yes, the world will remember Bill Gates not because he was the richest man in the world for 14 years straight (Thorpe), but because of all his efforts overseas and how he encourages other wealthy people to share their money with the less fortunate.... [tags: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Bill Gates has had a mammoth effect not only in America, but also the world. Bill Gates is the man people credited for creating the success of Microsoft, and the Xbox gaming console. However, Forbes magazine says, “The world will remember Bill Gates”(Forbes). Yes, the world will remember Bill Gates not because he was the richest man in the world for 14 years straight (Forbes), but because of all his efforts overseas and how he encourages other wealthy people to share their money with the less fortunate.... [tags: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- William Henry "Bill" Gates (more commonly known as "Bill" Gates) is an American philanthropist, investor, programmer and role model. William Henry Gates used to be the chief executive and chairman one of the world's most successful personal computer software company, Microsoft which he co-founded with Paul Allen(Gawker. (). William Henry Gates). William Henry Gates was also consistently ranked by Forbes magazine as the number one world wealthiest from 1995 to 2009 with the exception of 2008 when he was ranked third.... [tags: Bill Gates, american philanthoropist]
1729 words (4.9 pages)
- Management and Change, Bill Gates William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation, the worldwide leader in software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business computing. Microsoft had revenues of US$32.19 billion for the fiscal year ending June 2002, and employs more than 50,000 people in 72 countries and regions. Born on Oct. 28, 1955, Gates grew up in Seattle with his two sisters. Their father, William H. Gates II, is a Seattle attorney.... [tags: Bill Gates Microsoft]
1978 words (5.7 pages)
- Bill Gates Bill Gates, cofounder of the Microsoft corporation, holds 30.7 percent of its stock making him one of the richest people in the United States. He was the marketing and sales strategist behind many of Microsoft's software deals. Their software became the industry standard in the early 1980s and has just increased in distribution as the company has grown, so much that the Federal government is suggesting that Microsoft has violated Sherman and Clayton antitrust acts. Bill Gates' first interest in computers began at Lakeside, a private school in Seattle that Gates attended.... [tags: William H. Gates III Biography Essays]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- Gates Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft in 1975 and served as its Chief Executive Officer form the time the original partnership was incorporated in 1981 until January 2000. Then he resigned as Chief Executive Officer and took on the position of Chief Software Architect. Mr. Gates has served as Chairman of the Board since the company’s incorporation. Bill Gates is recognized as the youngest self-made billionaire in history. His windows operating system, runs the vast majority of personal computers throughout the United States.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1483 words (4.2 pages)