Accounting Colloquium has been a very beneficial course for me as a student in the accounting program. I have gained tips about professional and educational development. I have also learned a lot from the closing bell speakers and presenters that came almost weekly to class. A combination of all these helpful resources has lead me to be more prepared in class and also searching for an internship this Summer. I feel like these experiences have really influenced me. Some of these professional development tips include dressing professional, networking, interviewing, resume writing, and effective communication. I also learned educational tips from Emeka Anazia and lessons that can help me for the time I have left in college.
Learning how to dress business professional is one thing that has helped me. For women and men the suit should be a dark color, such as black, navy blue, or charcoal gray. The blouse that goes under the suit should be a pastel color, such as baby blue or pink, or white. These colors can show cleanliness or sophistication. For women, if a skirt suit is being worn, tights need to worn. The tights should be skin color. Minimal jewelry should be worn and makeup should be natural. For men, socks need to be close to the suit color. Belt and shoe color should also match.
Networking is also a key part in being successful. You should always have a book of contacts that you know professionally. This people can come in handy in your career or just life period. To keep these connections you should stay in contact with these people and occasionally check up on them. College is a good place to make these connections because you meet a lot of new people on campus and also meet business connections through c...
... middle of paper ...
...d tips into a successful trip there. You can prepare for the career fair by researching the companies that are coming, updating your resume, and getting a business professional outfit. A lesson that is important to almost all college students is ways to save me. Me as a student, I spend my money on clothes and food mostly. That money can be saved prioritizing wants and needs.
I feel as if this course has satisfied my my personal objectives. I have become more professional as a person, whether dealing with interviews, knowing what to wear in a professional environment, and developing a resume that it worth employers looking at. I also learned some mistakes that I was making college and ways to fix these mistakes and better myself at the same time. With all this, I feel like I have gained what I needed from this course and much more that will help me throughout life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One was ready to learn at this year annual doctoral colloquium. Although one arrived before eight o’clock in the morning, for some reason, one had the feeling that the event was really going to start at nine o’clock. Breakfast was acceptable, although one expected real food such as bacon and sausage for the amount of tuition paid for this doctoral program. One did not know what to expect until agendas were given out. The program started off with a moment of silence for the individuals who lost their lives in the Orlando massacre.... [tags: Doctorate, Academic degree, Health care provider]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- Looking back over the course of the semester, I feel that I learned many new and interesting uses for technology within the classroom – both for classrooms that have a lot of technology and for classrooms that are limited with technology. For the majority of the class, we utilized William Kists’ book The Socially Networked Classroom: Teaching in the New Media Age (2010), which provided multiple modes of instruction that both utilized and/or created technology. One of the first things that I remember, and consequently that stuck with me through the course’s entirety, is that individuals must treat everything as a text.... [tags: Course Reflection]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Over the past eight weeks this class has not only fulfilled my major requirements, but also made me understand more about the complexity of child development and how I can become a better person as a future parent and educator. Since I am an Education major, the four topics that would benefit me in the future are Erikson’s stages, Induction, Educational Self Fulfilling Philosophy, and Adolescence. I plan to be successful with my career and use what I have learned in Child Development to prepare future’s leaders of tomorrow.... [tags: Course Reflection]
1725 words (4.9 pages)
- The student outcomes for this course are to incorporate and learn different forms of material that will help the student deliver a structured speech. In order to deliver logical and organized speeches. As well as learning to speak with confidence and to understand how to control their own individual body movement when delivering a speech. A student also has to learn how to apply concepts such as language, organization, support, and delivery. In order to effetely deliver an informative, persuasive, entertaining, and commemorate speak.... [tags: Public speaking, Public speaker, Rhetoric]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- Course Expectations and Student Learning A news article on “The Chronicle of Higher Education” discussed the recent, annual study by the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) (Berrett, 2015). Specifically, the results from NSSE (2015) indicated that only 54% of first-year students and 62% of seniors related that they were “challenged to do their best work” in their courses (p.3). This is important because the study notes that students who felt there were high course expectations were more likely to experience higher-order learning and had effective learning strategies (NSSE, 2015).... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, University]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Course Expectations and Student Learning An article on The Chronicle of Higher Education website discussed the recent, annual study by the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) (Berrett, 2015). Specifically, the results from NSSE (2015) indicated that only 54% of first-year students and 62% of seniors related that they were “challenged to do their best work” in their courses (p.3). This is important because the study notes that students who felt there were high course expectations were more likely to experience higher-order learning and had effective learning strategies (NSSE, 2015).... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, University]
1507 words (4.3 pages)
- “There is no school equal to a decent home and no teacher equal to a virtuous parent.” This is a famous quote from Mahatma Gandhi regarding his opinion of homeschooling. Homeschooling provides students with an education, taking place in a home environment. Students who are homeschooled are able to excel in their studies, or spend more time focusing on academic roadblocks. In a recent study, the United States reported having 2.3 million homeschool students (Ray). In addition to the current 2.3 million homeschool students, 5.7 million Americans stated having experience being homeschooled for at least one year of their education (Ray).... [tags: High school, Homeschooling, Alternative education]
1912 words (5.5 pages)
- Assessment Student assessment was a key component in the development of this new online course. For any course; assessment should be based on measurable outcomes for the course. The assessment process in the new course in public policy would include multiple measures of assessment and be supported by a wide variety of materials and resources. The first assignment in each module was to read a chapter in the textbook, additional power point presentations, videos and articles are included to support the objectives for each module.... [tags: Education]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Furthering one’s education beyond high school level should be a benefit rather than a burden. Many people believe it is the key to social mobility and an opportunity to become successful. However, with the increasing tuition of institution of higher education, students find it rather hard to decide whether continuing their education is beneficial. Most people will agree that furthering your educational career is beneficial, whether it is to move up to a higher class or just nurturing the minds.... [tags: Student Aid, State Legislature]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- Now that I have completed this course, I can see the course applying to my ministry in the following ways so that I may understand the text and the different ways of preaching each subject. As a preacher, it is necessary to understand how to explain God’s promise in which he will pour His Spirit upon people in every special way so that every man receives a different gift that he who has ears and hearts will listen to God’s words and come to Him. The most significant things to my ministry are that each theme has four main different parts of teaching such as introduction, Law, Gospel, and application.... [tags: Course Review]
1114 words (3.2 pages)