While women are pregnant, do they consider they might be taking risks while using any cleaning products at home? When do women ever consider house-cleaning products as teratogens? Do they ever stop and think that when they are touching and smelling a common cleaning product it might affect the fetus? Why are women so naïve about the harmful chemicals that these cleaning products contain?
Teratogens are any substances that may harm the fetus in their development stages (Crandell 94). Today the most common teratogens are known as smoking, alcohol, marijuana, caffeine, cocaine and other kinds as well (Crandell 96). Each year 1.6 million people die because of indoor air pollution, according to the World Health Organization (The Deirdre).
Women have always been stereotyped as being the mother who stays home and has the responsibility of the household and maintaining the children. Presently mothers work outside the home, but they still have the responsibility of taking care of the household. “One study of 20 industrialized countries ...
... middle of paper ...
... 94, 96-97,191. Print.
“Household Cleansers Issue.” green-ct. Save the Sound, Inc. , 2002. Web. 28 Mar 2011.
Smith , P.Christine. “Healthy & Safe Pregnancy Househould Hazards During Pregnancy.” Pregnancy Today. Disney, n.d. Web. 28
“The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology.” dienviro . The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology, 1999. Web. 28 Mar 2011.
“Toxic household cleaners may affect fertility.” Krem.com. Web. 28 Mar 2011.
“Toxins in Laundry Detergent...What you Need to know.” pomegranatemarkets. Pomegranate Market, n.d. Web. 28 Mar 2011.
Women’s Health Weekly. “MTV Reaches Out to Teens to Prevent Teen Lisa Krueger.” Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2011. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Gale. Polk Community College - CCLA. 28 Mar. 2011
Wisdomquotes.com. John Johnson Lewis. 1995. Mar 29th 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- We live in a time where throwing away random things is normal and we don’t have one thought about it. We live in an endless cycle of producing, consuming, wasting, and then throwing away. Corporations create useless products where they know consumers will just throw it away after one use and the corporations profit from this use. This waste grows in volume and is very toxic for the environment. These corporations are also not pressured into recycling and reusing their products and are allowed to reproduce toxic materials in their products.... [tags: environmental issues, pollution]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION The Human skin is the natural barrier of the body; the sebaceous glands of the skin secrete sebum, forming a thin layer to keep the skin soft and smooth. Sweat which is consist mainly of salt, urea and protein degradation products, dead cells as a result of the skin peeling off, the dust from the air settle on the skin surface promotes the growth of bacteria and air oxidative rancidity resulting in body odour and skin infections, it is therefore important to clean the skin adequately to prevent an increase in pathogenic bacteria which may cause skin diseases.... [tags: bathing, oil, gel]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- One thing my grandma would always say every time she was doing work around the house is that, “A woman’s work is never done.” Posted on an online magazine website author, Jessica Grose, wrote an article titled “Cleaning: The Final Feminist Frontier,” published March 13th, 2013. As she got into the article she argues that men in our lives more recently started taking on more of the childcare and cooking, while the cleaning still falls unfairly on women. Jessica Grose starts to build her credibility with personal facts and using reputable sources.... [tags: Home, Cleaning, Homemaker]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- The Clorox Company was founded in 1913 by two individuals, Bill and Annie Murray who, according to the official history of The Clorox company, knew how to manufacture the product but not how to market it (The Clorox Company). Then, in 1917, the couple participated in an exhibit at the California State Fair to introduce the household bleach product to thousands of farmers and consumers (The Clorox Company). Along the way of progress for The Clorox Company, they made their first corporate contribution, donating to the Boy Scouts of America fund (The Clorox Company).... [tags: Strategies, Products, Cleaning Products]
1671 words (4.8 pages)
- ... If you sip antifreeze spit it out quickly and rinse your mouth immediately.Then go to the doctor. A safer alternative to ethylene glycol is propylene glycol. Look at the label to see if there are products containing the less toxic chemical like propylene glycol when you are buying antifreeze. Oil-based paint. Containing, organic solvents that can be irritating to eyes and skin, cracking of skin, oil-based paint is very dangerous.If it is inhaled headaches ,nausea , dizziness and fatigue will be resulted in .Frequent exposure of this substance can cause problems with blood, liver and kidneys.... [tags: injuries, accident, safety, toxic]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- Childbirth is nothing short of a miracle. The placenta—the organ connecting a developing fetus to the uterine wall and allowing for waste elimination, nutrient uptake and gas exchange via the mother's blood supply—filters most harmful substances that threaten an embryo, though some may still pass on to the fetus. These harmful substances, called “teratogens,” range from environmental chemicals to the passing of maternal diseases, and can negatively impact the normal developmental cycle of a fetus.... [tags: fetus development, substance abuse]
1035 words (3 pages)
- There were 6 different regions from where customers had their purchased items from the Heavenly Chocolate website delivered to. The largest percent of items were delivered to addresses in the Northeast. The smallest percent of items were delivered to the mountain areas. The three main regions that Heavenly Chocolate products get sent to are the Northeast at 39% of the surveyed customers, the Midwest at 29% and the Mid-Atlantic at 20%. There is not a significant difference between the region with the most products delivered to and the rest of the regions that products were delivered to from the surveyed customers.... [tags: Household income in the United States]
2233 words (6.4 pages)
- Reusable and Sustainable Cleaning Methods Open up any cabinet under a sink and more than likely a pile of cleaning products will be there. Many may not realize that chemicals in cleaning products are harmful to the environment. Fortunately, green cleaning methods are becoming more popular. The best sustainable cleaning methods are non-toxic, biodegradable and made from renewable resources. Using Cleaning Techniques That are Good for the Environment Most clean our homes with hard work and diligence and believe that our house is a place where there is no pollution.... [tags: Environment, Environmental]
547 words (1.6 pages)
- To put a definition plainly, teratogens are agents responsible for countless birth defects. Research found suggests over eight hundred known teratogens. In this paper, you will find interesting facts based on research, the relationship between teratogens and developmental psychology and some personal views based on the information and research found for this piece. Teratogens are easily classified in three different groups, these being drugs, disease and environmental. These three classifications are very broad.... [tags: essays research papers]
373 words (1.1 pages)
- Household Waste. One morning my mom said "Andy, get up and clean the bathroom!" It was always an essential and important labor to the family. I got up and gathered all the normal cleaning agents we used; Ajax, ammonia, and this liquid bleach that my mom said worked wonders. The toilet I cleaned using the Ajax the sink I cleaned using the Ajax there seemed to be no need for the other two. Then I saw it- the bath tub, AH. There was a ring around the bath tub that I knew would be difficult to clean off.... [tags: essays research papers]
518 words (1.5 pages)