“’Jersey Shore’ Season 5 averaged 5.8 million viewers, including one million ages 12-17” (McKay). These one million teenagers who are viewing “Jersey Shore” and other reality television shows fill their minds with the idea that they cannot have a nice time without the consumption of alcohol (McKay). Sexual immorality, violence, and intoxication consume the cast of this reality television show, and unfortunately, most of society. Not only that, but also the general lifestyle of the girls is to compete with each other through materialistic possessions such as clothes, money, or even men (McKay). Another reality show that is affecting viewers, women especially, is “Are You Hot,” in which competitors submit to a panel of judges for appearance rating (Becker). Shows such as this reduce self-confidence in women, making them believe they should be taller, skinnier, tanner, or really anything other than what they already have. “’[The show] emphasizes that how you look is more important than who you are or what you do. It really narrows the worth of the individual,’ Flanery says” (Becker). The more important things about an individual are q...
... middle of paper ...
...hologytoday.com, 1 March 2003. Web. 24 January 2014.
Bentley, Paul. “Celebrity Culture ‘Is Making Educated Women Dim-witted.’” Dailymail.com, 15 June 2011. Web. 24 January 2014.
Bonet, Lisa. Izquotes.com, Web. 24 January 2014.
Camacho, Melissa. “What Parents Need to Know.” Commonsensemedia.org, 2014. Web. 5 February 2014.
“First Amendment and the Meaning of ‘Free Speech.’” Inclusion.msu.edu, Web. 5 February 2014.
Fraser, Christian. “Italian TV Bins Reality Shows.” News.bbc.com, 3 April 2007. Web. 24 January 2014.
McKay, Hollie. “Experts: Reality Shows Featuring Fighting Females Harmful to the Young Girls Who Watch Them.” Foxnews.com, 2014. Web. 24 January 2014.
Tauber, Michelle. “Much Ado About BOO BOO.” People, Academic Search Premeire. Web. 10 September 2012. Web. 5 February 2014.
“What Parents Need to Know.” Commonsensemedia.org, 2014. Web. 5 February 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’ is a television series that many people have been aware of since August 2012. Depicting the life of a southern low class family, Alana Thompson, the star of the show, participates in pageants and displays her charismatic personality throughout every episode. Mama June, Alana’s mother, is known for her extreme couponing ways in order to take care of her large family living in McIntyre, Georgia. Recently, ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’ took a turn for the worst when Mama June started dating Mark McDaniel, a registered sex offender in the state of Georgia.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Child sexual abuse, Rape]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Background and Rationale: It is well known that Honey Bees are of much importance in today 's society. In fact this article hits the nail on the head in terms of their importance. The article mentions that animal pollinators are essential to our daily living, in terms of their reliance on production of fruits and other crops (Verlang-Springer 2010). Interestingly enough, the numbers which represent animal pollinators in comparison to other pollinators is lower: 35% vs. 65%(Verlang-Springer 2010), which would suggest that they are of less importance.... [tags: Beekeeping, Honey bee, Bumblebee, Insect]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Our society has witnessed the fall of many great leaders in the spheres of business, government and religion. Unfortunately, the failures of Christian leaders seem to intensify the public’s scrutiny and criticism while associating shame with the name of Christ. Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership is an insightful book written by Dr. Gary McIntosh, President of the Church Growth Network and Professor of Christian Ministry and Leadership at Talbot School of Theology, and by Dr. Samuel D. Rima, Director of the Doctor of Ministry program at Bethel Seminary and faculty member at the Center for Transformational Leadership.... [tags: Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Abraham Maslow]
3546 words (10.1 pages)
- “Dark side” leadership can cause significant harm to the organization and its members, yet individuals with these tendencies still reach positions of power since dark side characteristics are hard to detect and easy to overlook. Dark side characteristics is describe as undesirable characteristics that affect the relationship between supervisors and followers and his or her success at creating a cohesive team (Hogan, Curphy & Hogan, 1994). They can include characteristics such as narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy (Harms, Spain & Hannah, 2011), moderate and functional versions of personality disorders (Hogan & Hogan, 2001) or more exaggerated form of bright side traits (Kaiser, LeBr... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Trait]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- Introduction The research into leadership continues to be a topical subject in the academic literature on management. Leadership defined by Burns, (1978, p.425) “the reciprocal process of mobilising, by persons with certain motives and values, various economic, political and other resources, in a context of competition and conflict, in order to realise goals independently or mutually held by both leaders and followers”. This essay outlines the two types of leadership that exists, constructive and destructive.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Toxic leader, Skill]
1928 words (5.5 pages)
- Instantaneously, the title of The Dark Knight jumps out as a parallel to Jesus Christ. The title is stating that the dark knight, Batman , rises, just like Jesus arose. A Knight is “a man ,usually of noble birth, bound to chivalrous conduct” Referring to Batman as a dark knight gives off the impression that, although he is good, there is something dark about him. The dark side of Batman can be said to be that he is the one who killed Harvey when in reality later throughout the movie it explains that he did not kill him, Batman is indeed good.... [tags: Jesus, Resurrection of Jesus, Batman]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- Robert Frost once said, “By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.” This quote of Robert Frost shows how Frost can take something positive, a promotion, and expose the negative aspect, longer hours. In his poetry, Frost, like he did in this quote, exposed something in humans. He wrote poetry to show how there is darkness amongst them. The average reader will quote Robert Frost as being a poet of positivity, yet many of his poems actually point out the dark side of human existence.... [tags: poems, human existence]
1348 words (3.9 pages)
- What leads someone to lie. What influences a person to steal. Could it be someone’s personality that causes someone to cheat. Enclosed inside every piece of literature exists a remarkable amount of conflict. Whether it be a small, nonessential problem between the characters or a gargantuan, immeasurable issue within the main character, majority of readers would quickly lose interest if these conflicts did not exist. As a result, authors add such conflicts to rise the excitement to their literature.... [tags: Pesonal Reflection]
573 words (1.6 pages)
- “THE DARK SIDE” Sara was a 15 year old girl who had just moved into new town with her mom. Her parents got divorced and she was taking it very hard. She missed all her friends and family she left back home and she felt out of place. All she wanted is her old life back and be happy like she used to be. But that was impossible and she just had to deal with the situation. She started her first year of high school and she hated it. She didn’t fit in with the crowd, the teachers picked on her, and her grades were poor.... [tags: essays research papers]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- A Tasting Tour of U.S. Honey Varieties There are many choices when it comes to sweeteners. However, no other sweetener has as many varieties as honey. Honey is pure, all natural, and was first sweetener known to man. Honey is made when a bee changes the composition of nectar by adding moisture and enzymes. The product is then stored in bee combs and covered with bees wax. Honey comes in many shapes, colors, and has a variety of flavors. Different types of honey come from different types of flowers.... [tags: essays research papers]
607 words (1.7 pages)