In the Bible there are a handful of stories that suggest or talk directly about homosexual acts. For example, there is the story about Lot and the two angels in the book of Genesis. It takes place in Sodom and the men of the city threaten to beat down the doors of Lot’s house because they wish to have sex with the two men he as brought back with him. The angels locked the door and blinded the men outside who eventually decided to leave (Fairchild). While this story clearly shows punishment being given for homosexual acts, it is set in a very different time. Something that the conservative Christians need to understand is that the Bible was written in a time when homosexuality was something rare and wildly unacceptable. In today’s society there has been a huge movement in the rights of gays and it is much more acceptable. There are even many states in the U.S. that are passing laws that are allowing gays to be married by law. As it can be easily seen, things are changing. Society is taking the gay rights movement in a po...
... middle of paper ...
... Web. 18 Apr. 2014.
Holy Bible: New Living Translation. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House, 2004. Print.
Robinson, B. A. "Conservative Religious Resources on Homosexuality." Conservative Christian Resources on Homosexuality. Religious Tolerance, 6 Feb. 2010. Web. 18 Apr. 2014.
Stonestreet, John. "The Glee Effect: How America Went Gay | LifeSiteNews.com." LifeSiteNews. Life Site News, 19 Nov. 2012. Web. 23 Apr. 2014.
Tomczak, Larry. "6 Reasons Why Practicing Homosexuals Can't Be Christians." Charisma News. Charisma News, 31 May 2013. Web. 18 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Most people have grown up in a society where being a homosexual is not okay. Although LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people are being more accepted, they are still thought as ‘wrong’ to a lot of people and places. A big argument is that being gay is “unnatural” however, it is found that homosexuality is practiced in over 1,500 animal species such as giraffes, lions, and several species of apes and monkeys. We believe the hate against homosexuality should decrease, and the homosexual rights should increase.... [tags: Homosexuals, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual. Trans]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- “However, consider the words of Dr. Albert Mohler... If scientists find a biological cause for homosexuality, he urges Christians to support seeking a prenatal 'cure '” (Armour, 2010, p. 109). This is where religion comes into play with homosexuals being who they are throughout their whole life. There are many strict religions that will not allow homosexuals, so within these religions if parents can somehow make sure that their children will not become a homosexual prenatally than they might just do that.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual intercourse, Gay, LGBT]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- Gay is Okay. Should gays be treated with the same respect as all other people. Conservative Christians and gay people are going at it again. They never seem to tire of this war. Only few Christians have the guts to admit that they believe that all gays should be treated with the same respect as any other people. It seems that only a person with a number of gay and lesbian friends and acquaintances can realize the importance of getting to know the people behind the labels and images society makes; and their experience of building connections with people of many different backgrounds and personal differences has been both challenging and tremendously rewarding.... [tags: essays research papers]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Everyone on this earth was either born or has learned to judge another person. In today’s society we are constantly complaining, murmuring and gossiping about what we think is normal or even unmoral. We as human beings find it very hard to think of a problem in someone else’s eyes before we start to criticize them. There are many things we judge a person on, but what makes us capable to judge them. Why should we get to decided what a perfect individual looks like. Or what makes us qualified to judge someone on their happiness.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT, Gay]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- Words are not defined by dictionaries or professors, or officials, but by how people use them, how they are put into context, through the timeless evolution of meanings. Words can have many different faces, many of which can be powerful or quite weak, others can have a friendly face or a mean one. Sometimes there are words that can start out having a friendly face, but with time society can turn them into a mean face that betrays its former self, words like this exist all across modern social interaction, some can be more prominent than others and promote an ignorant atmosphere as to which we are forced to live in.... [tags: Homosexuality, Gay, Homophobia, High school]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- Marriage has been a part of society from the earliest of time. The joining of one man and one woman has been celebrated by many. We are taught to be the “perfect” husband or wife or at least the skills it takes in order to be considered a “perfect” husband or wife. We’re taught to love each other through sick and poor and all the battles we will face together. Over time, marriage has changed. Marriage, once a strong bond between man and wife, is now simply a flimsy piece of paper that has no strength to keep them together.... [tags: Homosexualism, Marriage, LGBTQ, Gay]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Homosexuality in Television and Music Industry Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion rather than conforming to other’s views. However, the way it’s done can leave either a negative or positive impact on a community. Most times the music and TV industry discriminate against the LGBTQ community while others accept the LGBTQ community. “LGBTQ is the acronym for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer” (“The Welcoming Project”). There are a large amount of LGBTQ members in other areas of entertainment such as fashion and arts, but people are less likely to see LGBTQ members in music and TV.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- In an overall attempt to process the lessons she has learned from her 6 now 7 year-old son, Amelia, fights to understand, protect, and raise awareness for those who may not be accepted as “gay”. Over the course of blog entries we see that this started out with a simple post about her son and his love for a popular gay television character, Blaine, from Glee. With a whopping 30,000 likes and repost filled with, “overwhelming positivity”. Even though there were some people who saw the scene as uncomfortable, others thought just because he’s 6 years old doesn’t mean he has no knowledge of anything.... [tags: LGBT, Homosexuality, Gay, Homophobia]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- John Corvino claims that homosexual people, as well as all people in a relationship, should have sex. Sex allows for the unification of couples by nurturing communication, romantic ties, and happiness within the relationship. Corvino then goes on to defend his claim and homosexuality. One argument that opponents use is that homosexual sex is “unnatural.” If the definition of unnatural means something unusual, homosexual sex could be considered unnatural, however, this is completely untrue. Some people claim homosexuality is immoral because animals do not practice homosexuality.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual intercourse]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Homosexuality in America: Good or Bad American society has always been divided when it comes to the topic of homosexuality. Homosexuality is more widely accepted today than it was several years ago, but some people still treat homosexuals like outcasts and discriminate against them in many areas. Not all of America has adopted the idea that homosexuality is okay and even normal. However, more have become tolerant. This issue is far more than just a religious battle. Everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, and they have the right to do so, but it is still important for America to be open-minded to people of different statuses and beliefs.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage]
1253 words (3.6 pages)