Essay PreviewMore ↓
The issue of homosexuality has been hotly debated since 1960 and scientific discipline, biology, has begun to ask the fundamental question about homosexuality. However, a few years ago, the issue was discussed mostly by people in the social sciences. Psychologists, such as Freud, studied homosexuals extensively and were coming up with an explanation for their "abnormal" behavior. All of the explanations that these people created linked homosexuality to experiences that homosexual have while growing up. Generally speaking, people in the world of psychology believed that homosexuality could be explained by a person's environment. However, in the past four or five years, the subject of homosexuality has gradually moved into the world of biology. Studies have been done recently are coming up with a genetic explanation for sexual preference. The fact that many of the scientists involved into researches of this sort are gays and Chandler Burr, scientist of genetics and biology as well, which explains a lot about the issue, that homosexual people are interested and curious about their “abnormal” nature themselves. It may also serve as an evidence that homosexuality is not the personal choice and also says about the moral competence of sexual minority people. The very term "sexual orientation," which in the 1980s replaced "sexual preference," asserts the deeply rooted nature of sexual desire and love. It implies biology again.
One of the most influential studies on the genetics of homosexuality was done by Dean Hamer and his co-workers at the National Cancer Institute in Washington DC (1993) clearly shows that there are differences in the genetic structure between heterosexuals and homosexuals, particularly based on looked closely at the DNA of these gay brothers tried to the region of the X chromosome, that most of the homosexual brothers shared.
How to Cite this Page
"Homosexuality is Genetics." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many people now believe the reporting of many popular newspapers and magazines report of the "discovery" of a link between a certain gene and homosexuality, but hasn't it been considered a choice for such a long time. Is homosexuality a choice rather than genetic. To answer this question we'll start off by revealing some myths of homosexuality. The next part will explain the difference between a behavioral trait and a genetic trait. Finally I'll end be unveiling the truth behind the "homosexual gene." There are many things that the homosexual activists say are true, but those "truths" are merely myths in need of correction.... [tags: The Gay Gene]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- In today’s society there are topics that can be uncomfortable and foreign to us, things we don’t necessarily think we need to know about unless it proves necessary. One of these topics is Homosexuality, a sometimes difficult topic to discuss, but important all the same. So what does it mean to be a homosexual, and how is it defined. Well, a person is said to be homosexual if he or she is romantically attracted to members of the same gender, or sex. Usually, the terms “gay” and “lesbian” are used to refer to homosexual men and women.... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
716 words (2 pages)
- Over the years, there has been a debate whether homosexuality is due to nature or nurture. In other words, are you born gay, or do you become gay. Scientists look into its background and origins of homosexuality. Some believe it is developmental or some have even tried to diagnose a disorder back originally. There are many valid points to either side that can be discussed and much information to be researched about this topic. On one hand, people may say that you are born gay due to your genetic makeup because they always seem to know that they have been gay; on the other hand some people may argue that your surroundings sway you to become gay because some people may not come out until their... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- Homosexuality (the tendency to be more sexually attracted to the same sex) is often confused with homosexual behavior (acting on homosexuality by engaging in homosexual acts), but the two are distinctly different. Even though homosexual behavior, especially in more recent years, has become an acceptable standard in our society it is a voluntary act and a sin, but the church has the ongoing responsibility and God-given call to love our neighbors, regardless of their sin because we too are all sinners.... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- ... Gender-based discrimination is the perception that an individual's gender appearance, identity, or behavior is inappropriate based on their biological sex. Gender-based discrimination operates in the same way as sexual orientation discrimination, it is based on the expectation that people will conform to social norms, commonly associated with their biological sex, and it is often mistaken for sex discrimination. If there are brain structure differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals, they could as well be the result rather than the cause of sexual behavior and sexual preference.... [tags: influences, gentics, change]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Did you know that homosexuality is not a mental or emotional disorder. Homosexuality has become quite a controversial topics amongst our society. Most people who realize they are homosexual are too scared to admit to the public who they really are. Then you have others who are openly confident about their sexuality as gay or lesbian. This issue has become more and more talked about and has developed multiple media acknowledgements. Homosexuality can be broken down into several different views. For those who do not understand or are unfamiliar with why a person is homosexual tend to ask an array of questions.... [tags: Controversial Topic, Society, Homosexuality]
1654 words (4.7 pages)
- Is Homosexuality a Choice. Homo is defined in the Webster’s dictionary as a combining one and the same, common, joint. Sexuality is defined as the quality or state of being distinguished by sex. These two terms combined (homo-sexuality) means of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex. “The Kinsey study of 1948, which homosexuals often cite to say that 10% of the population is homosexual, actually says that only 4% of the population is EXCLUSIVELY homosexual.” (2007).... [tags: Religious Perspectives, Gay Genes]
1660 words (4.7 pages)
- The argument of nature v. nurture in regards to homosexuality is a topic of intense debate. Those for it, in this case the side of nature will be addressed in ‘for the argument’, defend their reasoning fiercely and there seem to be a significantly larger amount of them. Those against it, in this case the side of nurture will addressed in ‘against the argument’, also defend their reasoning with ferocity but there are significantly less of them. This paper will discuss both sides of the argument, citing peer-reviewed journals/articles, and discussing evidence used to support each side.... [tags: biological/social source]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- ... In this particular case study, they were all raised as girls and kept in the dark regarding their gender transferring surgery. If being homosexual was solely culturally induced these people who have always known themselves to be women, would follow the cultural binds of society and be attracted to men. However that’s not the case, Reiner found that the faux females ended up being attracted to other women. There is no doubt that there are several scientific studies and pieces of evidence suggesting and supporting that being gay is genetic and not influenced by societal nudging.... [tags: gay gene, made or born?]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Homosexuality, Nature or Nurture. Homosexuality has become a large issue in our lives today. Gay Rights activists have been making their voices heard; this has attracted the attention of the population making them take notice of their cause. The church has not been able to get away from the powerful political and social pressure of homosexuality. Some churches have accepted homosexuality but many still do not accept homosexuals, saying it is unnatural and not what 'god' intended of man.... [tags: Homo Gay Lesbian]
1905 words (5.4 pages)
Concerning the issue of homosexuality in 1992 the appeared a myth that homosexuality is a disease or mental disorder. Starting with James Harrison, who was a scientist and doctor, society coming up with the solution that there are some ways of treating the phenomenon. After the meaning was settled lots of doctors and scientists started to conduct various kinds of aversion and violent therapies. It was claimed that doctors even tried to castrate but finally none of the experiments were seem to be able to change sexual orientation of the people involved. The report of Alfred Kinsey in 1948 in his book “Being Homosexual” was commented by Richard Isay, saying that Kinsey and his co-workers for many years attempted to find patients who had been converted from homosexuality to heterosexuality during many therapies, but surprisingly for them none of the cases gave an expected result. With these words he affirmed that the statement that medicine is not the solution, which in its turn proves that homosexuality is not a mental illness but genetical feature as many other above mentioned facts claim. Later on Hooper and Bruno Klopfer were confirming it conducting a test to determine homosexual people. They believed that they would be able to distinguish homosexuals from heterosexuals by means of the Rorschach test. But as it turned out none of the test they were designing could really reach the needed effect. The heterosexuals and homosexuals were indistinguishable, demonstrating an equal distribution of pathology and mental health. But with respect of this mental issue here is the curious research popped up showing us that nonetheless there are some little mental disadvantage that sexual minority people has. It was reported by Christopher Wolfe in his book “The Biological Research on Homosexuality”, that gays and lesbians are tend to be psychologically weak and inclined to depressions and attacks of aggression more often than heterosexual peers. It is implied that they have more vulnerable nervous system, that can be considered by some as mental and psychological disorder. However finally after all those failures in 1973 the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from its official Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, signifying the end of homosexuality's official status as a disease.
It is high time to come up with statistics of how society is treating to the phenomenon of homosexuality. Propaganda of such notion like freedom of choice personal right are also played a particular role in the rising tendency of tolerance within society. It is fair to consider the most socially developed and multinational country in the world as all the rest countries following the same direction as US does. According to the statistics of GALLUP American online organization. In US during the last ten years the percentage of those who think homosexuality is morally wrong and morally acceptable are equalized and contain 48%. It also should be taken into account that the rate of those who consider it morally acceptable is steeply continue rising up. So it is possible to make forecasts in favor of homosexuality for the next 10 years as well. Agreement that homosexuality should be considered an "acceptable alternative lifestyle" increasing from 34% in 1982 and 57% in 2007, where it remains today. It has also been known according to GALLUP that even in the 1970s, the majority of Americans believed homosexuals should have equal rights in terms of job opportunities; reaching 89% in 2004 it is still 89% today. Gallup polling was fixing an important changes in public attitudes about homosexuality and gay rights over the past quarter century. Americans have shifted from discriminating of homosexuality as an alternative lifestyle, to supporting gay rights. It is possible to say that among central Asian society will be observed the similar tendency.
Despite the fact that the tolerance rate to homosexuality within society tends to grow up. There still exist the other side of society who can’t and do not want to change their attitude to homosexual people, considering the whole concept of homosexuality immoral, unnatural and totally disgusting. And indeed, there are several arguments claiming homosexuality to be abandoned and abolished within society.
Considering the fact that homosexuality is purely genetic feature on the one hand we have the statement that at the same time it is totally unnatural phenomenon on the other. But why it has been existing and how appeared? According to the religion God didn’t made them so and environment have an influence on it. And again, if it is true what is the reason the phenomenon appeared to be genetic issue. The astrologer Pavel Globa giving answers to the questions in one of his horoscope books. As it was wrote by him homosexuals, bisexuals and transgenic people are the mistakes of humankind, a kind of virus as a result of denying of inherent nature and destination of one of our ancestors. In other words possibility that one of our ancestors was refusing his life, fate or nature, means everything he was given by the God, generates a kind of deep depression being reflected in the genetic memory turning to genetically heritable virus as disorder or mistake, being passed though his family genealogical tree and generating those homosexual transformers. Pavel Globa also added that those mistakes are the “dead” branches of his family tree. In this way he explains the fact that most of the homosexual people are infertile and disable to have kids, and it is not casually also, because as he says this is their infertility in order not to let the virus develop and pass through the generations. It was also reported by him that kids of bisexual people suppose to have some either mental or physical disorders for sure. Everything is points out, such kinds of people being a result genetic mistake should not have right for reproduction and having kids.
Recent researches shows the negative fact that homosexuality generates the counter action called homophobia which in its turn appearing to be violent actions among society. Sexual minorities still facing discrimination especially among youth. It is still debated among individuals whether to allow same-sex couples to be granted the same rights and benefits as different-sex couples. Beginning 6 December, 2010 9th Circuit Court of Appeals began court proceeding challenging California’s ban on legal same-sex marriage.
Sexual minority people were facing a series of tragic death among youth which draws the media attention and great support of LGBT communities. Unfortunately it testifies the battle is just began. About few month ago it was also known by Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) about bullying, harassment, and violence among sexual minority youth in the US. Concerning that, there were known about these statistics: 7,200 LGBT students, ages 13 to 21, 85% reported being verbally harassed and 40% physically harassed because of their sexual orientation; over 60% reported being verbally harassed and 27% physically harassed because of their gender expression.
As a result of those harassments many Sexual Minority Youth feel unsafe at schools and coming up with anti-bullying policies. It has surveyed by GLSEN that LGBT students’ experiences with harassment and bullying since 1999. Finally it is clear from these and other studies that such social subgroups will have to challenge such violence furthermore but with help and support of changing institutions (e.g., school, criminal justice, the family).
Religion seem to be the main and one of the strongest arguments against homosexuality that obviously cannot be ignored. The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God. God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The late John Paul II and therefore the Vatican's stance on gays is that homosexuality is a sin and gay marriage "attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man." There is the report In the late Pope's philosophical work on the nature of good and evil called "Memory and Identity," gay marriages are considered an integral part of "a new ideology of evil" implying our today’s world. And not only Christianity but all the religion, particularly Islam, are claiming the same thing that are far from being favorable to homosexuality. And it is a great deal. It was published in Jeremiah Project that the tremendous spread of disease among homosexuals and immoral straights would not exist if people listened to the instructions of God, which are for their own protection, good and happiness. It is added by religious people as though homosexuals forget that they are here alive as a result of sex between a man and a woman and consider as disrespect to the stated orders for human beings.
There are members of the gay community who are very excited to find that the life-style they live is not entirely a choice that they made, as homophobic people often like to believe. Some homosexuals feel that if the world realizes that homosexuality is something people are born with, just like the color of your skin or your eyes, then people will begin to be more accepting of the homosexual life-style. However, on the other hand, there is also a group a people who believe that if homosexuality is in fact genetically linked, then there should be a way to genetically alter homosexuals in order to make them "normal". Anyway people should understand that it is something that cannot be changed therefore better to accept it. We all are born equal. Why can’t people live and their own lives stay the way they are and love as long as they are able to love, even though their love somehow differs from ours? But who said people are entitled to judge and moreover to punish those homosexual peers. Religion claims that homosexuality is wrong but it also says that only God is empowered to condemn and punish them but not people. It is obvious that society missing the fact and dare to discriminate lesbians and gays violently.
1 Homosexuality and Religion © Kenneth Cauthen 1997
2 THE GENETICS OF HOMOSEXUALITY Dara Newman Web Reports 1997
3 The Biological Research on Homosexuality
J. M. Baile, S. LeVay, D. Swaab and M.
Hofman, L. Allen, S. Demeter 1997
Source: www.narth.com from "Born that way" theory
4 Americans Evenly Divided on Morality of Homosexuality Lydia Saad June 18, 2008
5 Horoscope for Sagittarius Pavel Globa 2009
Source: Personal horoscope book