One argument against homosexuality is from religion, and despite some belief, not all religions condemn homosexuality. A large portion of this is referring to the Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, or Buddhism. Most of the religious reasoning for homosexuality is that the bible says it is sinful, and most are referring to the Old Testament scripture Leviticus chapter 18:22 “Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.” The bible also said that those who do lie with one another in this fashion should be executed, and Leviticus 20:13 states “If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done the detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own hands.” The Old Testament also claimed the same punishment is required for those who commit adultery and bestiality. If we are to listen to this argument, then we must also pay for our sins and be executed. Most Christians live by both the Old and New Testament, but you cannot just pick and choose which rules to follow, and most variations of these verses are the same through other bibles.
Another argument is from the biological stand point, and that homosexuality is a genetic abnormality. In the 1950s homosexuality was considered a mental illness, s...
... middle of paper ...
...riday the 26th June, 2015 the Supreme Court had declared same sex marriage a legal right nationwide. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote “No longer may this liberty be denied, and no union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.” Then proclaimed “Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”
Over the years homosexuality has grown more and more accepted, and even more so over the past decade. There are different views that say it is right, and others that say it is wrong, but despite that there are many different views on homosexuality and same sex marriage, it is still a widely accepted by a majority of the population.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the beginning of time, God created Adam, who is a man, in his very own image. Then God made Eve, from a rib from Adam, who is a woman. He gave Adam Eve, who is a woman and not a man, so that the human race can maintain and multiply by procreating. For many many years homosexuality has been a sin or wrongfulness in many, if not all, religions. Not only are we continually bombarded with this controversial topic we have also reached a point where homosexuality is more open and widely received than it has ever been before.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, LGBT]
1747 words (5 pages)
- Homosexuality as a Sin The topic of homosexuality in religion has many sides. There are those who believe that it is a sin in God’s eyes and according to the Bible, and there are those who believe the God and the Bible are not specific to homosexuals. It is a tough debate based on whether you are a religious person, how you were raised, and where your morals and ethics stand. You cannot truly believe one way without taking into account the other side and have valid proof to back it up. Those who believe that homosexuality is wrong do so by quoting certain phrases from the Bible.... [tags: Papers Religion Gay Lesbian Essays]
1062 words (3 pages)
- Since the first eukaryotes appeared, all living things have been reproducing primarily by a female and male union. Contrary to popular belief, there were other sexual relationships other than between opposite sexes. Homosexuality has baffled most of humanity as it seemingly goes against Mother Nature. While societies such as Ancient Greece viewed it as completely natural and it was a social custom, others viewed it with much resentment and considered it abnormal. Some want to treat this natural phenomenon as just another mental disease and cure it with therapy, while others think that if you engage in homosexual activities you will spend your after life in the fiery lakes of hell.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation]
1439 words (4.1 pages)
- Over the last couple of years, there has been many new sexual identities that have been introduced. The most common one still being homosexuality. According to Merriam-Webster, a homosexual is defined as being “sexually attracted to people of the same sex.” It has been dated back many years back in history, showing up in Ancient Japan. It is represented by the nanshoku which means “male colors”, 'color ' having a meaning of sexual pleasure (Wikipedia). In Ancient Japan, Homosexuality was viewed as a normal practice that many like the middle class adopted from the monastery (Leupp 53-54).... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual intercourse, LGBT]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- rationale was for him to associate attraction to men with nausea making homosexuality so repulsive that he would become straight. Within three days of admission Clegg-Hill was dead (Tatchell). Even though these practices have hurt, or even killed some of their “patients,” there are still some survivors, and journalists that have proven that conversion therapy does not work. In her article “Homosexuality Cannot Be Cured,” Casey Sanchez argues that reparative camps are damning the LGBT community. She profiles a former ex- gay minister John Smid.... [tags: Sexual orientation, Homosexuality, LGBT]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- According to biblical texts, in the beginning, God created the first man, Adam and made him a woman, Eve. He gave Adam a woman, not a man, so that the human race can maintain a man/woman relationship. For thousands of years homosexuality has been misconduct or in the church’s case, sin. We are continuously beset with this controversial topic and have since reached a point where homosexuality is more open and more accepted than ever. Now, gay men and women fight for the right to be legally married in the United States.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, LGBT]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- John Corvino creates a great response to a very talked about and controversial topic: Is being homosexual wrong (specifically those who act on their homosexual urges). In Corvino’s article, he breaks down the potential arguments people use against homosexuality and proves how those arguments are not strong enough to prove that homosexuality is immoral. The arguments that are used against homosexuality and that are addressed in this article are the most common arguments used to prove that homosexuality is immoral.... [tags: Morality, Ethics, Homosexuality, Religion]
1046 words (3 pages)
- From the beginning of time, homosexuality has been, and continues to be an extremely sensitive and controversial topic among the masses. Individuals constantly find themselves lost in seas of chatter, participating in riveting debates regarding whether or not homosexuality is born or made. Every human being has their own set of values and beliefs, but both society and the church 's perspective of the issue have changed dramatically over the years. Although the prospect of same sex attraction has always existed, it was not until the mid-nineteenth century that individuals were shamed and ridiculed for being 'mentally ill '.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Sexual orientation, Gay]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- Homosexuality, LGBT community, and gay marriage, are all terms that are commonly heard in the news today. Whether it is a protest, a pride march, or simply a marriage license, the members of these groups are making themselves heard. There are mainly two groups concerning this movement. There is the group in support, and the group against. The question asked, “Is homosexuality immoral?” Not only that question, but also the more complicated one of why. According to a poll taken earlier this year by Statista, 63% of Americans believe gay or lesbian relations to be morally acceptable.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, United States]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Against Homosexuality Several important principles which most people seem to be unaware of (particularly those who teach in the schools of law and legislators of societies) are: Man has not been given the authority and power to define the nature of crime. That authority is rightfully reserved only by God. Therefore the responsibility all mankind has is to embrace laws in accord with the Laws of God. The reason God is the rightful One to define the nature of crime is because He is the Creator of all mankind.... [tags: Papers]
717 words (2 pages)