After a long and tiring day you come home to relax. But the moment you lie down on your moment you feel that your sleep has vanished and you remain awake the entire night! This is a syndrome of insomnia or sleeplessness. And a common story for most of the people in big and urban cities.
Insomnia is a condition in which the person has difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep. Sleep is necessary and important for the body to function normally. This periodic rest is efficient to relief worries and tension.
Every individual requires 7-8 hours of sleep a day and this lack of sleep deprives the person from the mental rest he needs. The best way to get mental rest is sleep. Elderly people are also common victims of insomnia as sleep reduces with age.
Causes of Insomnia
There may be various reasons for insomnia and some of the common causes for it are:
• Mental tension or worries or psychological causes
• Chronic and serious kind of disease
• Excessive intake of caffeine like tea and coffee
• Physical causes
• Temporary events and factors like jet lag, working night shifts, medications etc.
• Environmental noise that includes extreme temperature etc.
Symptoms of Insomnia
When do you know that you are suffering from insomnia? The symptoms of this condition are
• General tiredness
• Sleepiness during the day
• Lack of concentration or memory
Types of Insomnia
There are basically two types of insomnia and this are:
• Primary insomnia and
• Secondary insomnia.
In primary insomnia the person has sleeplessness not for any health condition or problem. In secondary insomnia the person may lack in sleep due to health condition. These health conditions are asthma, a...
... middle of paper ...
...rain cereals and nuts are some effective treatments for insomnia.
• You can also prepare another decoction by adding in a half a liter of water a tablespoon of lettuce seeds and boil it till it reduces to 1/3 quantity. This is an excellent treatment for insomnia.
Home remedies for Insomnia using magnesium and calcium
• Both magnesium and calcium have some natural property for boosting sleep. They are best taken together as they provide better and effective results. Magnesium also reduces heart related problem
• Wild lettuce is known for calming down the body during anxiety, headaches and muscle and joint pains. Take 30 to 120 of wild lettuce before going to bed for best results.
Apart from all these home remedies for Insomnia, massaging the scalp by combining equal parts of bottle gourd juice and sesame oil will help you in a great way to get the proper rest.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am sure that there have been nights where you cannot fall asleep. Well, you are not suffering alone. Forty to seventy million Americans suffer with this sleeping disorder called insomnia. Insomnia is having difficulty falling asleep, may wake up too early, or perhaps wake up periodically throughout the night. Many Americans are losing sleep everyday which is decreasing our health and ability to function the way our bodies are supposed to. Some may or may not have heard of this rising problem. However, those who have insomnia will soon be informed and will know how to help with the issue of insomnia.... [tags: sleeping disorder, depression, anxiety]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- Home Remedies for Rheumatism Rheumatism is a medical term which is associated with the pain in connective joints and tissues. The name is derived from the Greek word ‘rheuma’ which literally means swelling. And most often it is associated with arthritis and rheumatic fever. Nonetheless, it can be also associated with symptoms of many conditions that may cause severe or mild pain and weakness. Causes of Rheumatism Many physiological factors can cause rheumatism. However, there is no scientific prove that considers mental stress to be sole responsible for rheumatism.... [tags: Health]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Menopause is a permanent stop of menstruation as it ceases ovulation. It signals the end of the fertility phase in a woman and usually happens in midlife. It is not an illness but a biological natural process. The hormonal level fluctuate for many years and eventually become low that the endometrium that is the uterine lining stops bleeding. The production of the hormones like estrogen by the ovaries becomes less during menopause. The estrogen is an important reproductive hormone that also helps in other functions like heart, liver, bone formation, breast and also bladder function.... [tags: Health Care]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Stephen King’s Number One Best-Seller, Insomnia, is a book about an elderly man named Ralph Roberts who begins to suffer from early waking. This form of insomnia grows into a terrible problem for Ralph as he begins to awaken earlier and earlier each morning. People begin to comment about his health and sickly appearance. Many take it upon themselves to recommend old-fashioned home remedies that aren’t supposed to fail. Ralph attempted everything from staying up all night (much to his dismay, he found himself growing more and more awake as the early morning hours passed) to sucking on honeycomb.... [tags: essays research papers]
3046 words (8.7 pages)
- Treating hair to a variety of harsh chemicals like hair colors, hair extensions, hair dyes, is one of the obvious reasons of hair damage along with other reasons. Blow drying, rebonding, treating hair to excessive heat while straightening, perming, and certain hairstyles like braids are other causes of hair damage. Hair can have a dry texture due to chlorine water while washing, over use of hair care products, chemical treatments and pollution. Damaged dry hair can also be due to lack of regular oiling, shampooing and conditioning.... [tags: Home Remedies ]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- In our fast-paced world, who has time for sleep. From work to school, to social life, society is running on an empty tank. Lack of sleep over long periods of time can be extremely unhealthy. Although we tend to know the dangers associated with the lack of sleep, we continue. Insomnia and sleep deprivation are the two leading symptoms of the lack of sleep, and in the U.S. alone, are amongst the highest in the world. Without knowing, many just assume that the two are one in the same, but in truth, they are not, and are actually two different things all together.... [tags: Sleep deprivation, Sleep, Insomnia]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Insomnia Lying among tousled sheets, eluded by sleep with thoughts racing, many people wrestle with the nightly demon named insomnia. Insomnia is defined as, "the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of one or more of the following: difficulty falling asleep, waking up frequently during the night with difficulty returning to sleep, waking up too early in the morning, or unrefreshing sleep" (Rajput 1431). Because the definition of "poor-quality sleep" is not the same for every person, it is not easy to determine the frequency and severity of it's occurrence (Holbrook 216).... [tags: Papers]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- “Insomnia is the inability to obtain adequate amount or quality of sleep. The difficulty can be with falling asleep, remaining asleep, or both” (“Insomnia Encyclopedia“). Sleeping is a major point in physically and mentally restoring yourself for the tasks ahead. Most people say that about eight hours of sleep is an adequate amount, however it differs from person to person depending on their sex, age, and health conditions. An estimated one-third of the population suffers from some form of insomnia.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2188 words (6.3 pages)
- Insomnia Insomnia Almost everyone experiences insomnia now and then. When one believes he must be in bed by a certain time every night or that he needs a certain number of hours of sleep, it may be the very thing that is preventing him from going to sleep (Munson 21). It is unfortunately true that many people still suffer from poor sleep but do not know that there are numerous programs that can help them. Insomnia, which is due to various causes and includes a vaiety of symptoms, can be reduced or eliminated in a number of ways.... [tags: essays research papers]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- Insomnia comes in many forms and worries people of all ages, most commonly for just a night or two, but sometimes for weeks, months, and even years. Insomnia has many causes. Insomnia is a symptom, much like fever or stomachache. There three symptoms commonly shown by people who have insomnia: difficulty falling asleep, no problem falling asleep but difficulty staying asleep with many awakenings, and waking up too early. Difficulty sleeping at night may be related with the following daytime symptoms: sleepiness, anxiety, impaired memory, impaired concentration, and irritability.... [tags: essays research papers]
913 words (2.6 pages)