Belching is the expulsion of gas from the digestive tract which involves mainly esophagus and stomach. It is commonly known as burp. In addition to the release of gas, it is sometime accompanied with sound and also a foul odor. In medical terms, it is referred to as eructation.
Causes of Belching
Swallowing of air while eating or drinking may be a typical cause of belching. Therefore it subsequently expels the gas in the form of burps. There may be some reasons of swallowing such large amount of air (aerophagia) which are listed below:
• Gulping of food and drink more rapidly
• Carbonated beverages
• Chewing gums
• Poorly fitted dentures
• Mouth breathing
• Food allergy
• Food intolerances
• Emotional stress
• Relaxed esophageal sphincter during breathing
• Stomach acid deficiency
However, belching for some people is necessarily because of excess air in the stomach but may be a habit. This can be a response to a type of abdominal discomfort which may be associated with some pain.
Symptoms of Belching
Belching and other gas formation problem resolve on their own. However, if the symptoms persist it is better to consult a doctor. The common symptoms are listed below:
• Nausea or vomiting
• Weight loss
• Persistent heartburn
• Abdominal or rectal pain
• Blood in stools
There are a variety of effective home remedies which can reduce the symptoms and control belching.
Home Remedies for Belching using soups and herbal teas
• Soups if taken before the main course of meal are effective in treating belching. This is because they create the ground of digestion by eliminating salts and liquids which are responsible for gas in the stoma...
... middle of paper ...
... days to see some effective results.
• Another method to arrest belching is by chewing two or three pods of cardamom. This is better if taken before meals.
• Buttermilk is also effective by adding a pinch of asafetida. This helps in releasing gas.
Home Remedies for Belching using pepper and celery seeds
• Prepare a mixture by using a teaspoon of pepper, a teaspoon of dry ginger and a teaspoon of cardamom seeds. Mix them well and dissolve only half teaspoon of the mixture in water. Drinking this before the meal will reduce the belching problem.
• For instant relief chew a spoonful of celery seeds.
Nonetheless, a good and healthy life style also helps in preventing belching. For this you have to simply avoid smoking, consuming soda drinks and alcohol. According to a recent survey, staying in a particular posture helps for expulsion of the unwanted gases.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Home Remedies for Acidity The excess secretion of acid in the stomach that aids digestion is called acidity or APD. It is also known as gastritis. The normal amount of acid helps in breaking down the food. The body normally has some protective mechanism that protects against the acid in the stomach as well as proximal intestine. The imbalance between the acid and protective mechanism causes what is known as acidity. The acid the stomach secretes is hydrochloric acid that helps the digestive system to function normally.... [tags: Health ]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Treating hair to a variety of harsh chemicals like hair colors, hair extensions, hair dyes, is one of the obvious reasons of hair damage along with other reasons. Blow drying, rebonding, treating hair to excessive heat while straightening, perming, and certain hairstyles like braids are other causes of hair damage. Hair can have a dry texture due to chlorine water while washing, over use of hair care products, chemical treatments and pollution. Damaged dry hair can also be due to lack of regular oiling, shampooing and conditioning.... [tags: Home Remedies ]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- Home Remedies for Groin Sweating Groin sweating is sweating around the inner thigh as the skin here is folded and covered with clothing. This area has sweat glands like the eccrine and apocrine. For some people they tend to sweat profusely in this area which makes them feel uneasy and embarrass. In worst scenario the problem may cause odor, itching, peeling, rashes and peeling of the skin due to imbalance in the skin due to warm and moist groin. Causes for Groin Sweating The specific cause for sweating is not known but it may be due to some specific build of the person.... [tags: Health]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- Dark underarms or armpits are a condition of the skin under the arms that becomes dark. It becomes a major concern to fair skin people as dark armpits are more visible on fair skin than on dark skin. The causes for dark underarms are: • Improper cleaning • Sweating • Friction due to different types of clothes • Dead skin cells • Use of shaving products • Deodorants containing alcohol The symptoms of dark underarms are • Sweating • Itching • Dark skin along the area of armpits • Bad odor Pregnancy, hormonal changes, age and genes all play an important role in decolonization of the armpits and cause a lot of embarrassment.... [tags: Health Care]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- Home Remedies for Moles Moles can be define as a cluster of pigment cells that may often appear to be tiny dark brown spots which can virtually develop any part of the body. You can find almost 10 to 40 moles in a person body and this number vary in each and every person. The medical term for moles is nevus or nevi. However it is seen that most moles can come in a different range of colors. Moles are harmless and in very rare cases they can lead to cancer. In fact, detecting pigment patches and monitoring moles can help detecting skin cancer, particularly malignant melanoma.... [tags: Health]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- Home Remedies for Abrasion Abrasion is an injury that occurs on the topmost layer of the skin called the epidermis. This external scratch is a minor condition that may result in bleeding. The scar and sign gets healed within a small duration of time. However if the injury occurs owing to some rough surfaces then the skin may appear red or pink. There can be a burning sensation without any bleeding. This may be mainly because the second layer of the grazed skin is exposed to injury. The common victims of abrasion are children and kids who often get scraped knee and bruised arm.... [tags: Health Care]
853 words (2.4 pages)
- Anaemia is the lack of red blood cells or haemoglobin in the blood. These blood cells carry oxygen and minerals to the tissues of the body. The blood cell count decrease the haemoglobin content in the blood and causes anaemia. Anaemia is caused by the iron deficiency, vitamin B12, B6, copper and folic acid in the body. Anaemia during pregnancy can be harmful as it will supply less oxygen to the baby. Causes for Anaemia The important causes for anaemia are: • Insufficient production of red blood cells This may be due to hereditary or can be acquired because of poor diet, chronic diseases, pregnancy and hormones.... [tags: Health Care]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Home Remedies for Cysts Cyst is a closed sac-like structure that occurs in the tissue. It may contain semi-solid materials, air or fluids. However once a cyst is formed, it may can go away on its own or can also be removed with the help of surgery. Cysts are small lumps that can appear on the neck, back or head. And the main occurrence of cysts is due to the blockage of oil glands. These are composed of sebum which is a semi solid matter. In some situation there may be some amount of painful oozing from the cysts.... [tags: Health]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- Home Remedies for Rheumatism Rheumatism is a medical term which is associated with the pain in connective joints and tissues. The name is derived from the Greek word ‘rheuma’ which literally means swelling. And most often it is associated with arthritis and rheumatic fever. Nonetheless, it can be also associated with symptoms of many conditions that may cause severe or mild pain and weakness. Causes of Rheumatism Many physiological factors can cause rheumatism. However, there is no scientific prove that considers mental stress to be sole responsible for rheumatism.... [tags: Health]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Home Remedies for Appendicitis Appendicitis is the inflammation of the appendix which is filled with pus. When the growth of the appendix is more it require removal either by laparoscopy or laparotomy. This finger-like pouch grows out from the colon on the lower side of the abdomen. Appendix does not have any purpose. However it can create problem when there is an excess growth. Causes of Appendicitis The exact cause of this health condition is not known and sometime the cause is not clear. It can sometime occur as a result of: • An infection It can also follow an infection such as gastrointestinal viral infection • An obstruction The food waste or may be a hard piece of stool that cannot... [tags: Health Care]
925 words (2.6 pages)