This is typically how a traditional Habitat for Humanity dedication ceremony begins. When a home has been completed, a dedication ceremony is customary to every family who is grateful enough to receive such a gift. Since Habitat for Humanity is a christian based organization, the heart of the ceremony is religiously based. The group of volunteers will stand alongside the homeowners and sing songs which are somewhat christian based. After the songs are sung, the homeowner is given an opportunity to speak and thank the volunteers, and then the home is blessed by a priest. As a final token of appreciation, the homeowner receives a copy of the Holy Bible and is given a golden hammer as a memento of their hard work.
But before you ever experience the dedication ceremony, the home must be planned and built. After a homeowner applies, a family selection committee chooses families based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program, (to build their house) and their ability to repay the loan. Just because Habitat homes are built strictly by volunteers, doesn't mean that they're free. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to pay monthly mortgage payments and a down payment just like anyone else would.
A typical Habitat home costs between $80,0...
... middle of paper ...
...island, and we would want nothing else.” Rodney and Linda added.
For me, working for Habitat for Humanity will be one of the things that I will remember for a long time. I became interested in the organization when I saw a feature on the organization during an episode of “Hometime,” an informative home improvement show that ran on PBS. It has been both a rewarding and educational experience for me and I hope that I will be able to continue for many years to come.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, or would like to see if you qualify for home ownership, please contact Joan Schmidt of the Niles and Buchanan Habitat organization. At 269-687-1672. Please not that this is not a staffed office and no one is available to answer the phones. If you leave a message expressing your interest, someone will contact you as soon as possible.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Habitat for Humanity International Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian nonprofit organization centered in Americus, Georgia that constructs and repairs houses throughout the world for low-income families. Millard and Linda Fuller founded the organization in 1976, with who were inspired to develop the organization after first visiting Koinonia Farm in 1965 for a service venture. Millard and Clarence Jordan, a farmer at Koinonia, created the idea of “partnership housing” where volunteers aid low-income people in the construction of suitable housing.... [tags: Habitat for Humanity]
2771 words (7.9 pages)
- Planet Earth is where millions live, breath, eat, and sleep over one billion people live on earth and take care of although is there anything being done to better the people on Earth. Yes, actually there is an organization called Habitat for Humanity which does help communities and neighborhoods all over United States of America and world. Habitat for Humanity believes that everyone should have a home; this belief is demonstrated by their slogan which says " we believe that every person should have a decent safe and affordable place to live (www.... [tags: United States, U.S. state, Unemployment]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- Habitat for Humanity International Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian nonprofit organization centered in Americus, Georgia that constructs and repairs houses throughout the world for low-income families. Millard and Linda Fuller founded the organization in 1976, with whom were inspired to develop the organization after first visiting Koinonia Farm in 1965 for a service venture. Millard and Clarence Jordan, a farmer at Koinonia, created the idea of “partnership housing” where volunteers aid low-income people build suitable housing.... [tags: Christian non profit organizations]
2670 words (7.6 pages)
- Tax Structure: Habitat For Humanity Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization dedicate to building homes for low-income individuals. This organization requires that potential homeowners assist in the building of their home or others to reduce the financing cost of homeownership. This paper focuses on the percentage of property tax revenue, two arguments in favor, and two arguments property tax breaks for Habitat of Humanity homeowner, and case resolution. Quantification "In 2004, property tax collections in the U.S.... [tags: Business Finance ]
1759 words (5 pages)
- Acting in Kindness Together A random act of kindness by definition is understood to be unsystematically acting in goodwill without any expectation of return or benefit to oneself. According to the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation (RAKF), there is a “kindness movement” in progress. The main goal of this movement is to help create a better world by increasing awareness and spreading acts of kindness. (Random) Scott Adams, creator of the comic strip Dilbert, proclaims not to believe that an act of kindness could ever be too small.... [tags: kindness, affordable housing]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- Every day in communities around the world, there are people in need. From those whose houses are destroyed in natural disasters, to those who have lost everything in the economic downturn, wherever you are there is no lack for those in need. Service learning is a form of learning that not only allows you to learn new helpful skills, but it also allows you to give back to your community and reach those that truly need a helping hand. Choosing the right organization to donate your time to can be a daunting task, after all there are several of them and each has their own unique way of contributing to the community.... [tags: learning, skills, helping, organzitions]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- ... Response: The process consists of screening and interviewing potential candidates through online posting boards and third party listing sites. Once a candidate pool is acquired the top qualified individuals are passed onto the Directors of the respected department. Once the candidates resumes are reviewed they are called in for a first round interview. Members present at the interview at the department heads and the CEO/Executive Director of the organization. A second and third round interview is conducted to narrow down the candidates based on strategic questions.... [tags: housing, ceo, employees]
633 words (1.8 pages)
- When I first heard of the volunteer trip concept in Habitat for Humanity, my ears twitched, recognizing a genuine product, designed to bring about true changes, rather than making the affluent feel good they’ve done a thing to help solve the world’s problems. From day one, I knew my trip was in good hands. Weeks before my trip to Guatemala, e-mails began streaming to my inbox encouraging us to fund-raise, informing us about the project and raising expectations. I realized that there will be about 150 volunteers, and that the Habitat for Humanity office set a goal to build 10 homes in just 5 days.... [tags: Community Service, Service Learning]
405 words (1.2 pages)
- A Student's Comments on Habitat for Humanity Websites While sitting in my dorm room watching a DVD, I looked around and suddenly realized how lucky I was. I lived in a decent sized room with lighting and air conditioning that I could adjust to make myself comfortable. Then I thought how even more lucky I was to be able to go home too yet a nicer living facility at my own house that I have to share with nobody but my immediate family. It made me begin to wonder how many people there are that do not possess this luxury.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Habitat for Humanity: Helping the Homeless Homelessness is not something that I could ever imagine completely. I, like everyone else, have a simple idea of what it would be like to be homeless. There is so much more to being homeless than most believe. My exposure to Habitat for Humanity is showing me some about the idea of living in a lower income family. This exposure is an experience that all high school and college students should have. One reason for my ignorance on homelessness is my modest exposure to homeless people.... [tags: Volunteer]
403 words (1.2 pages)