At the onset of the twentieth century singing was still the fundamental activity in schools, and sc...
... middle of paper ...
...A: MENC: The National Association for Music Education.
Moore, J.E. (1968). The national school band contests from 1926 to 1931. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Michigan, 1968). Retrieved March 1, 2007, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text database. (Publication No. AAT 3250254).
Payne, B. (1997). A review of research on band competition. Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, 33(1), 1-21.
Yarberry, G.A. (1979). An overview of the past, present and future of the band movementin America. Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, 14(2), 1-9.
Whitehill, C.D. (1969). Sociological conditions which contributed to the growth of theschool band movement in the United States. Journal of Research in Music Education, 17(2), 179-192.
Zorn, J (1989, Nov.). The changing role of instrumental music. Music Educators Journal. 76(3), 21-24.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Woodstock was a three day music festival famously known for “peace and music” it happened August 15 to August 18, 1969 It was held at a 600 acre farm Bethel, New York in the Catskill Mountains. The festival created massive traffic jams and extreme shortages of food, water, and medical and sanitary facilities, it is still known today to be one of the biggest concerts in history. Woodstock drew 400,000 young people including a man named TJ Eck who was 28 at the time and had a thrive for music, Woodstock was the perfect place for him.... [tags: bethel new york, traffic, commuters]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- National Cherry Blossom Festival The festival I have picked to do is the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. I thought this festival was interesting because it is not just an average festival with delicious food, live music and countless family and friend activities, but a festival to celebrate and honor a friendship between two countries. I think that this is a festival everyone should go and see at least once in their life. The atmosphere of the people there and the color of the blossoms is just breathtaking, it is not something you can just look at from a photo, for a photo cannot capture the true beauty of it.... [tags: Festival, Washington DC, Festival Paper]
913 words (2.6 pages)
- The Los Angeles County Museum of Art has a website that announces its programs. Anyone can easily find and choose a concert. I chose a concert for Sunday July 25, 2010. This concert was emerging artists from Ipalpiti Festibal 2010. It included the four pieces of music that are described below. One of these was Fantasiestucke, Opus 88, both Romanze and Duet were preformed. This concerto was performed by pianist Luiza Borac, violinist Vladimir Dyo, and cellist Yves Dharamraj. The second piece was Ahnung, a new discovery piece from Kinderszenen.... [tags: Concert]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- The event itself was a musical performance, showcasing the talents of Ondatrópica, a band originating from Columbia performing at the Festival International Nuits D’Afrique. An experience I will not soon forget, it was an impressive display of skilled musicianship and cultural pride, which could be described as a “Columbian block party” indoors. The music, filled with uplifting, jubilant Latin American sounds and rhythms, provided attendees with a spectacular concert experience. As such, the Ondatrópica concert is an example of how “festival” (MacAloon 246) can bring together individuals for a time of celebration, joy and social connection, while also providing a sense of “re-enchantment” (P... [tags: Performance, Music, Festival, Audience]
1357 words (3.9 pages)
- The influential value system in Thailand which I decided to choose as the main topic of this report is, one of the most well-known Thai traditional festival, Songkran festival or Water Splashing festival. The reason why I chose this problem is that, despite Songkran festival is considered to be one of the main enjoyable Thai traditional custom promoting events which not only attract Thai people, but also foreign tourists to join. However, undeniably, it has the ethics-related issues in some perspectives which are quite questionable and need to be seriously concerned as well e.g.... [tags: influential value system in Thailand]
1761 words (5 pages)
- The History and the Symbolism of the Festival of Pesach Around 3000 years ago, the Israelites who lived in Egypt were blamed for all of the troubles of the country. They were enslaved by the Pharaoh and forced to labour constantly under the whip to build palaces and buildings for him. This continued for years until one day, when King Herod threw all the Israelite babies into the river, for fear of being overthrown, one baby survived. He floated in a wicker basket down the Nile to the palace of the Pharaoh himself.... [tags: Papers]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- Twenty Years of Calle Ocho Over the years, the Calle Ocho festival has brought hundreds of smiles to thousands of people. Behind the smiles, the laughter, and the dances, there is a serious side to the festivities. In the beginning, Willy Bermello just wanted a little backyard get-together that would bring neighbors closer, but the festival turned into something much, much bigger. With the festival's growth and inevitable commercialization, Bermello increasingly felt that its importance was being forgotten.... [tags: Little Havana Culture]
456 words (1.3 pages)
- Saint Louis 1904 - Festival Hall In 1901 Cass Gilbert (1859-1934) designed the elaborate hall for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, held in Saint Louis in 1904. This short-lived structure deserves attention, as it was a main focus of the fair and an important benchmark in its designer's career. Born in Ohio, Cass Gilbert studied at MIT and in Europe he subsequently set up practice in St. Paul with a former classmate, James Knox Taylor. After a ten-year partnership they split and Gilbert moved on to New York City.... [tags: Architecture History]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- A Brief History of Rock and Roll and The Woodstock Music Festival of 1969 Throughout history, major social transformations have taken place that has changed how people perceive themselves and the world around them. With each social reformation, cultural forms and institutions also change as well as their meanings. For Example, the development of recording and electronic communication within United States capitalism spurred the unique coming together of music traditions in twentieth century United States society.... [tags: Music History]
1385 words (4 pages)
- CONCERT REPORT #2 Beatles Z320 For my second concert report I thought that I would write about my only experience hearing songs of the Beatles live. The Rib America Festival was hosted by The Beatles Live Repertoire. The group dressed exactly like the Beatles, even had the same names, John, Paul, George, and Ringo. I had never heard any Beatles songs live before, so that was enough to get me off my butt. Not to mention, it was free entertainment, not a bad time at all. So the show starts, and I’m not sure what to expect.... [tags: essays research papers]
1085 words (3.1 pages)