Annavaram Temple is situated in Annavaram, a village situated on the banks of the Pampa River in the East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. The main feature of Annavaram is the shrine of Lord Veera Venkata Satyanarayana Swamy situated on the Ratnagiri hills. This temple stands second only to Tirupati in terms of holy visitors in Andhra Pradesh.
HISTORY OF THE TEMPLE
A tale goes behind the origin of the hill and how the Lord came to exist in that place. Meruvu, the Lord of the hills, with his consort Menaka did a great penance and as a result, were gifted two sons by the grace of Lord Vishnu. One was named Bhadra and the other Ratnakara. Bhadra pleased Lord Vishnu with his great devotion and was blessed to become a hill known as Bhadragiri on which Lord Vishnu resided permanently in form of Lord Rama. This place is now well known as Bhadrachalam. To emulate his brother, Ratnakara also started praying Lord Vishnu. Pleased with his penance, Lord Vishnu appeared in the form of Sri Veera Venkata Satyanarayana Swamy and blessed him to turn into hill known as Ratnagiri. Since then the Lord resides on the hill of Ratnagiri, named after Ratnakara.
There is also a myth related to the place as how the idol was discovered. It is said that the Lord Vishnu himself came into the dreams of a villager named Earanki Prakasam and told him that his Vigraha (idol) was lying on the Ratnagiri hill, under a tree, unattended and abandoned. He told him to trace it and sanctify it again. That villager informed this very fact to Sri Raja I.V.Ramanarayanam, the then landlord of Gorsa and Kirlampudi estates. The landlord with the help of villagers acted accordingly and found the idol underneath a tree on the hill. They performed th...
... middle of paper ...
...lic between 6AM to 12:30PM and 1PM to 9PM every day.
For more details about the temple, visit www.annavaramdevasthanam.nic.in .
Rajahmundry Airport is the nearest one, which is 80 km away from the temple and is well connected to Hyderabad. Visakhapatnam Airport (115 km) is the other airport which is stuated close to Annavaram and is connected to major cities of India and abroad.
Annavaram has its own railway station. It falls on the Chennai-Howrah route. Most of the express trains halt here. It is just 3 km away from the temple.
APSRTC and private travels operate regular bus services to Annavaram from major cities of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Devasthanam at Annavaram is also running buses from Downhill to Uphill. The best way to reach temple is by your own means of transport like car or private taxis.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Evolution of the Temple-Palaces in Mesopotamia The constructions of the temple-palace had large scale implications for the Mesopotamian landscape. It served as a symbolic entity for the city and towns that it was located in due to the tremendous height of these buildings that served as beacons that loomed over villages. These temples were perceived by many individuals who resided in these villages as homes for the deities. A wide cross section of villagers from various social backgrounds belonged to a particular temple in which they would worship.... [tags: archiologists, temple, dynasty]
2263 words (6.5 pages)
- Throughout the history of Judaism, Jewish people have faced ongoing persecution and discrimination. Despite these conflicts, the faith remains alive, strong, and continuously growing. Like many religions faced with adversity, Judaism has had to assimilate its faith to survive in an ever-changing world. One significant moment of change in the Jewish history, the fall of the Second Temple, had the opportunity to destroy Judaism, but the Jewish people bonded together and reformulated their religion in order to save their faith.... [tags: Religious History ]
1960 words (5.6 pages)
- Autism, it is considered a death sentence when one is diagnosed with it. However, one woman overcame all odds and changed the world. Despite her autism, Temple Grandin became a well-known and well-loved book writer, helping thousands of people with autism. Temple Grandin was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Her mother's name was Eustacia, but her father is rarely ever mentioned. Eustacia noticed that Temple was a different kind of child. She had said nothing, she did not like being hugged or touched, and she did not play like other kids played.... [tags: temple gardin, autism, autisitc people]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- I was born into a family with set beliefs on Catholicism. I attended mass from a young age, was baptized in the Catholic Church and was taught the many beliefs of Catholicism. Some of the few beliefs I was taught include The Holy Trinity, teachings of the bible, and the Ten Commandments. For the Site Field Visit assignment, the class was instructed to visit a temple, church, or worship facility that must be outside of our religious background. For my Site Field Visit assignment, I decided to visit the Wat Buddharangsi Buddhist Temple located in Miami.... [tags: religion, buddhiste temple, siddharta]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- Many modern day Christian beliefs and practices were taken from early pagan practices. In fact, the sacred Greek Temple Of Apollo, Didyma (modern day Turkey) and the Christian Old Saint Peter’s Basilica on Vatican Hill, Rome were similar in history, religion, and intended function as a place of worship. The structural aspects of the two have few similarities, however, that is not to say that the pagan influence on the church building was nonexistent. The Temple of Apollo at Didyma was designed by two Greek architects, Paionios of Ephesos, and Dafhnis of Miletos.... [tags: Temple of Apollo at Didyma, religion, Old Saint Pe]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- ... CONSTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE Pata Narasimha Swamy Temple has two main entrances or Simha Dwarams. Out of the two, Pedda Gopuram is the main entrance of temple complex. There is also an image of Lord Yama at the entrance of the temple to the right. This temple has its own Prakaara or compound in the temple complex. Inside the Prakaara, there is also an idol of Bhakta Anjaneya (Lord Hanuman). Seven more idols of Anjaneya are also framed on the other seven sides of the temple. Inside the Prakaara and before Mukha Mantapam, there is a four pillared pavilion known as the Kalyana Mandapam.... [tags: history, visit, transportation]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- Although the exact age of the Jewish faith is debatable, one thing is certain, it is a faith with an extensive, and at times tumultuous, history. Throughout the history of Judaism, Jewish people have faced ongoing persecution and discrimination. Despite these conflicts, the faith is alive, strong, and growing. Like many religions faced with adversity, Judaism has had to accommodate the ever-changing world to maintain their faith. One significant moment of change, the falling of the Second Temple, had the opportunity to destroy Judaism for good, but the Jewish people came together and reformulated their religion in order to save their faith.... [tags: Judaism ]
1366 words (3.9 pages)
- ... The Peoples Temple included a variety of Lee 3 ages and races because of Jones powerful public speaking abilities that convinced people that he was the truth. Deborah Layton who was a former member of The Peoples Temple and author of “Seductive Poison” which is a book about Jonestown was quoted in the film Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple: “Every single person felt they had a purpose there and they were exceptionally special and that’s how he brought so many young college kids in, so many older black women in, so many from diverse backgrounds who realized that there was something bigger than themselves they needed to be involved in and Jim Jones offered that.” Statistics... [tags: African American civil rights movements]
1576 words (4.5 pages)
- The past history have a huge impact on the future. From the ancient art history until current years it is safe to say that the art changed drastically, it shows that people nowadays have different values, styles and priorities in life. The past teaches people about the future and helps to avoid mistakes. In the Paleolithic period, where folks were focusing on hunting and gathering, where everyday life was dynamic, meaning they were moving from one place to another in search of better resources (Upper Paleolithic, 28) to Mesopotamian period where things were more certain and people liked to stay in one place.... [tags: Neolothic, ziggurats, temple]
647 words (1.8 pages)
- Shirley Temple: Origins of the Optimistic Image Shirley Temple. When the name is uttered an image of the dimpled faced, curly haired, tap dancing four year old from the 1930s automatically appears in everyone's mind. She was the child actress of the depression era, winning over the hearts and pocket books of many. Films, dolls and even a drink named after her, her face and name were ones that couldn't be missed. She was Fox's gem and saviour. She was an escape from the hard life. She was a star.... [tags: Shirley Temple Image Essays]
3132 words (8.9 pages)