Here we will introduce a little bit about what is operating system, basic function on operating system and some popular example of operating system. When you turn on your computer, it is feel nice that you have control. It is feels easy like a director in front of the screen. Actually there are a lot of things inside and the real man behind who handles those things is called operating system (abbreviate as OS). OS is a software program enables computer hardware and software to communicate with each other, control and manage computer memory and processes.
General purpose for an OS is to run program. It also can perform basic task such as received input, display output, keep and delete files, multitasking in nowadays and control peripheral such as mouse and keyboard. Without OS, a computer is useless because it allow us to communicate with computer without knowing computer “language”. The most popular operating system at this time are Microsoft Windows like Windows 8 (released in 2012), Windows 7 (2009), Windows Vista (2007) and *Windows XP (Microsoft stop supporting at 8 April 2014), Apple’s Mac OS and Linux.
While Microsoft Windows and Linux can be installed on standard personal computer but Mac OS only can run on Macintosh computer. Operating system can also...
... middle of paper ...
...eated as to improve upon the code and share within the community.
Is a computer software that given licensed and given the right to use the software. It is restrictful from other users to modify, share, study and redistribute. Source codes are not available.
User Everyone Everyone
Manufacturer Developed by community. Source codes are available. Created by Microsoft but they allowed other to distribute thei own computers with Windows pre-installed.
Cost Free Need to buy
Example Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat Linux, Desbian, Mandrake, Centos, Mandriva, Novell, Oracle Enterprise, SUSE Linux, Turbolinux. MS-DOS, Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, Windows 95, 98, 2000, Windows ME, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1
Developer Linus Torvalds Microsoft
Languages Multilingual Multilingual
Update Method Either provided by Linux or community who modify the code.
At Windows update
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Windows XP / Linux Operating Systems The Linux system has an interesting history as it was originated by a college student as a hobby. According to the web site linux.org (“What is Linux,”2007) Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by a young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in Finland. Linus had an interest in Minix, a small UNIX system, and decided to develop a system that exceeded the Minix standards”.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, File system]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Practically, there was a program manager and a print manager, furthering the viability of their use in the home setting; this was the first version in which Microsoft released a software development kit, to more easily allow developers to create to programs, which undoubtedly only furthered their popularity. In 1995, the newest installment in the Windows franchise, cleverly named, Windows 95, was the first to feature the iconic start button that allows quick access too many functions on the computer.... [tags: operating systems, bill gates]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- This paper focuses on latest operating system launched by Microsoft in the year 2012, named Windows 8. The lukewarm response of the market coupled with partners’ and integrators’ reluctance to engage with enthusiasm with the product and its resultant impact on the financials of the company would be discussed and analyzed. The intent of the paper is to glean learnings from a product, market, and industry perspectives so that we as future leaders can better appreciate the complexities of ambiguous nature of strategic decision making.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- ... The OS/360 MFT (Multiple Programming with a Fixed Number of Tasks) which could run several programs but only after partitioning the memory. The OS/360 MVT (Multiple Programming with a Variable Number of Tasks) which allowed memory divisions to be re-created as needed. This allowed customers to pick what would work for them in their environment. (Hosch, 2014) With IBM’s 360 machine came the Solid State Technology, Memory Power, Application versatility, and Communications capabilities that we had not seen.... [tags: technology, computer history]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- INTRODUCTION An operating system is a collection of programs written in low level languages that control the resources of a computer. It manages the computer's memory, processes, and all of its software and hardware. Operating system acts as an interface between the users and the hardware which allows the user to communicate with the computer without a language barrier. Booting is the process that occurs when users press the power button to turn the computer on. During this process, the computer runs tests to make sure everything is working correctly, checks for new hardware and then starts up the operating system by loading it into the main memory.... [tags: interface, users, computer]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- What is Operating Systems. An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia). That is what you would find on Wikipedia in my words it is what runs your computer really. Every computer has one at the bank they have one, big businesses have them so do burger king. There are many types of operating systems out there. Such as real-time operating system, multi-user, multi-tasking and single-tasking.... [tags: software, program, system]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- 1.0 Introduction An operating system (OS) is a software program that manages the hardware and software resources of a computer. The operating system is an essential component of the system software in a computer system. The operating system programs make system resources available to user(s), the user’s application programs and to other application programs running on the computer. (From Silberschatz and Gagne et al., 2010) Some operating systems are designed to be convenient, others to be efficient and some combination of the two (From Silberschatz and Gagne et al., 2010).... [tags: Hardware, Software, Computer, Operating Systems]
2389 words (6.8 pages)
- An operating system is defined by Wikipedia as: a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. The most common operating system worldwide is Microsoft. On November 20th 1985 Microsoft introduced windows. Microsoft came to quickly overcome other operating systems like MAC operating systems by dominating the world's personal computer market with over 90% market share. Even though MAC had been around longer, it had been introduced in 1984.... [tags: technology, computer, phones]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Defining Microsoft Windows Vista The intent of this paper is to provide a background of the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system development, including when it was developed, how the development process was management, what needs this specific operating systems was developed to respond to in the Information Technologies market. This paper will also analyze the correlation of Information Technologies and Microsoft's Windows Vista position. Background of Windows Vista Development Originally announced as Longhorn by Microsoft (et.al.) on July 22, 2005 to journalists and analysts it was released to public distribution use by hardware OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and the general p... [tags: Operating Systems]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- UNIX - An Inroduction What is an operating system. · Kernel - provides a well-defined interface between programs and the hardware. It is a resource manager where the resources include memory, CPU access, input/output ports, etc. · Shell - interacts with the user, accepting commands and starting user programs. · Utilities - include programs required to make the system useful, such as programs to copy files, or simple text editors. · Windowing system - a collection of programs that implement a graphical user interface.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2888 words (8.3 pages)