History of Microsoft Windows
There are over one billion computers in the world running the Windows operating system. The company responsible for this enormous feat has been ever growing since its creation on April 4, 1975 by the brilliant minds of Paul Alan and Bill Gates. This company is of course, the one and only, Microsoft.
It all started with the Atari 8000, and Bill and Alan’s quest to acquire a contract with the manufactures, MITS, to incorporate the programming language, BASIC. Through the rest of the last seventies and early eighties, Microsoft’s products were mainly based around BASIC, but for the other competitors in the computing world, such as the Commodore 64 and the Apple II.
UNIX, an operating system developed in 1969 by AT&T, has licensed out variants of its original works over the years, the most commonly known is the still licensed, Mac OSX, and the various forms of the open source OS, Linux. But this too is where Microsoft began its venture into the OS market in 1980 when a variant was obtained and dubbed, Xenix. Xenix became the first the rum the immensely successful word processing program, Multi-Tool Word, now Microsoft Word. In 1980 Microsoft was approached by the big time company, IBM, with the task of developing a new OS. In response, MS-DOS, short for Microsoft – Disk Operating System, was developed. This severely changed the way computing was done, with the introduction of the “C:” Language, descendants of which are still used today. But while this was extremely effective for professionals, this was not the kind of system the everyday person could use due mostly to its solely text based interface, and thusly the need for a graphically based interface began. The first v...
... middle of paper ...
...over a decade, while still keeping it available through a button on the taskbar, the main interface is comprised of blocks that make the programs more like the apps you would find on mobile devices rather than on a typical computer.
• Bailey, David. "Opening up Microsoft." UNIX Review June 1997: 23+. Computer Database. Web. 22 Feb. 2013.
• Bellis, Mary. "The Unusual History of Microsoft Windows." About.com Inventors. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Feb. 2013.
• Honan, Mat. "Microsoft." Wired May 2013: 110. Computer Database. Web. 22 Feb. 2013.
• Leonhard, Woody. "Microsoft's 13 worst missteps of all time; DOS 4.0, Zune, and Windows 8 are but a few of the landmarks among 25 years of failures Redmond-style." InfoWorld.com 14 Jan. 2013. Computer Database. Web. 04 Mar. 2013.
• Todea, Lucian. "Soft32.com News." Soft32com News. N.p., 16 June 2006. Web. 04 March. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- History of Computers: Microsoft Windows Every time I turn on my Dell computer the screen pops up that says loading Windows XP software. My roommate turns on her computer and it says the same thing, as with most people on my floor. Today this seems to be the trend with most computers no matter what brand of hardware. This was not always the case though, Windows software is actually a fairly new technology that has grown much over the years and continues to develop and change even today.... [tags: Computers Software Technology Essays]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- An Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista, Operating system]
2315 words (6.6 pages)
- The Microsoft corporations is the largest software and hardware company in the world. It is famous for Windows, office and Xbox. Microsoft mission statement: Accessibility make it easier for everyone to see, hear, and use technology, and to personalize their computers to meet their own needs and preferences. For many people with impairments, accessibility is what makes computer use possible. Microsoft products: • Windows • Xbox • Microsoft health • Windows phone • Internet explorer • Microsoft office • Visual Studio Microsoft is a Public Company, that Microsoft has its headquarters ____________________ USA Microsoft Strengths: the brand itself is huge.... [tags: windows, computers, technology]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- Operating System Concepts Research Paper Windows or Linux for Small Company By: Muhammad H Khan Table of Contents • Introduction • History of Windows • History of Linux • Availability of Software • Minimum Requirements to run the OS • Security • User friendly Introduction Linux and windows operating systems are software with programs and information needed to run and monitor the computer programs. An operating system is one of the most important computer programs which a computer cannot run without them.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
1209 words (3.5 pages)
- Privacy Issues with Microsoft Windows 10 Windows 10 is a computer operating system that was made and introduced by the Microsoft Corporation (McGrath & Price, 2016). Windows 10 is one of the Windows NT operating systems. The operating software was introduced to the globe on September 2014. The release of the software to the users later followed on July 2015. The Microsoft Corporation made sure that the software was released for free to the various users of candid copies of Windows 7 and 8.1. Upon release, the software received global praise for the various embedded applications that were more efficient when compared to the old versions.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- Windows XP / Linux Operating Systems The Linux system has an interesting history as it was originated by a college student as a hobby. According to the web site linux.org (“What is Linux,”2007) Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by a young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in Finland. Linus had an interest in Minix, a small UNIX system, and decided to develop a system that exceeded the Minix standards”.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, File system]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- Technology has been something that over the years has steadily evolved, become obsolete, and discovered ever since the beginning of time. In 1975, technology would be introduced to a pair of college dropouts looking to make a difference. These two individuals were Bill Gates and Paul Allen the founders of Microsoft. Bill Gates and Paul Allen founded the company Microsoft with a massive vision for the time, and that was the in the future there would be a personal computer on every desktop and home ("A History of Windows" n.d.) .... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Operating system, Computer]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- ... A firewall is essential to protecting your computer from breaches and intrusions, as it limits access to your computer while connected to the Internet or a network. For most users, default firewall setting should suffice at keeping your PC 's hard drive and data free from prying eyes. If your anti-virus application does not include a firewall, Windows has a built-in one that is relatively strong and reliable - as long as it 's active. To ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled, go to Control Panel System and Security Check Firewall Status Ensure that both the "Private Networks" and "Guest or Public Networks" sections display in green and show the work "Connected" next to them.... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Microsoft has always sought to carve its own path, predicting a future where everyone will have access to the Internet and handheld devices and computers throughout the home. Their talent has been, and they hope will continue to be, to lead the way in developing innovative products that exceed customers' expectations. From the beginning, Microsoft has forged joint ventures with other companies also at the head of computer innovation. Microsoft's first joint venture was with Apple in 1982 to develop the Macintosh prototype.... [tags: Information Technology]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- A computer file system described most simply is a process for organizing and storing computer data files. The file system, at the very least, must ensure that files are stored safely and are readily available for retrieval. At a minimum a file system must allow the operating system to write new files of data to the storage disk while at the same time protecting files previously stored, ensuring they do not get over written. And finally, a file system must make the stored files easy to find and quick to retrieve.... [tags: Software Microsoft ]
1352 words (3.9 pages)