With a focus on music production, I must protect, justify, and enlighten myself on all things music, as well as others, and edify all within reasonable distance on the correlation of fractions and music, and just how a fraction, also known as a time signature when written on a music staff, has been responsible for the swing and groove of music, and the creation of an evolution of soulful dance music.
You may ask yourself, or someone who was actually alive in that era, what could you possibly love about disco?! Well, maybe because the term disco is used so very loosely, you’re internalizing a skewed interpretation of disco, as it has been introduced to you, but we’ll get to that later. First, lets find out “where we’re coming from.”
Fractions have been a around long enough for me to understand that I do not like them, but they play a significant part in simplifying, for some, division of goods or time. There is no one person who can be credited with the invention of fractions, but their use has been traced back as early as 1000 BC, in Egypt--using the formula to trade tangibles, currency, and build pyramids.
Egyptians, or more accurately, Pharaohs, did not write fractions in the formula that we are accustomed to seeing and using, today. The hieroglyphs, as explained on page 20, chapter three of, Mathematics in the Time of the Pharaohs, were not as efficient, then, because it did not allow for certa...
... middle of paper ...
...scover these bonus sources below--music with message, featuring Mr. Earl Young, and then we can truly say, we “know where we’re going.”:
The O’Jays, “I love Music.” Credited as the first disco song:
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Love I Lost (Lead by Teddy Pendergrass):
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Bad Luck (Lead by Teddy Pendergrass):
Earl Young’s demonstration of disco:
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- S. Gudder once wisely stated, “The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple.” Many people have different views of mathematics and the role it plays in their life. There are some students who believe that learning mathematics is useless and is not a necessity for their major, and there are others who find math, arithmetic, and numbers easier to process. I find Gudder’s thoughts to be true based on my upbringings and recent experience in my Math 110 course.... [tags: Mathematics, Algebra, Pythagorean theorem]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Abstract—Music is the art of combining sounds to produce a composition having rhythm, melody, or harmony. Mathematics is the scientific study of numerical patterns, quantity, and space. By the definitions of music and mathematics one tends to separate the two fields into separate categories. However, music and mathematics have more in common than one may think. From reading musical notes to the wavelengths of sounds, mathematics is always a part of music. This paper will focus on the connections between mathematics and music.... [tags: Music, Sound, Musical notation, Fourier series]
2429 words (6.9 pages)
- Many educators would agree that music has the ability to unlock doors for young children to learn the various aspects of mathematics. The relationship of the two subjects can be traced back to the early stages of ancient history where they were taught together, unlike a majority of America’s public schools. Fortunately, there are public schools beginning to recognize this close relationship once again and have developed lesson plans that teach mathematics, science and music in a much more conjunctive nature.... [tags: essays research papers]
1401 words (4 pages)
- ... Around 1950BC, The Moscow papyrus was written, which gave details of Egyptian geometry. Around 1800BC, the Babylonians start using the multiplication tables. The Babylonians also solve the linear and quadratic equations and pulls together the tables of square and cube roots. Around 1400BC, the decimal number system with no zeroes started to be used in China. Around 127BC, Hipparchus figured out the equinoxes and calculated the length of the year to about 6.5 minutes of the correct value, started the understanding of trigonometry (A Mathematical Chronology,2014).... [tags: geometry, fractions, numbers]
641 words (1.8 pages)
- Mastin (2010) suggests it is almost certain that the history and learning of Mathematics is nearly as old as humanity itself. To this day it is seen as a core subject in the United Kingdom (DfE, 2013), Australia (ACARA, 2015) and across the world’s education systems. As a leader in school, of Mathematics teaching, it is not only a national requirement to ensure goals for Mathematics education are achieved (DfE, 2013). There is strong evidence from Matthews (2009) that suggests to drive school improvement and pupil learning, good leaders have a clear vision and inspire staff and pupils passion for the subject.... [tags: Education, Leadership, Mathematics, New Math]
1943 words (5.6 pages)
- Most people have been introduced to the idea that music has a positive impact on the field of education, especially in mathematics. This has been a back-and-forth battle between advocates for music and the arts in schools and those looking for ways to deal with budget cuts. Logically thinking, music is based on math in that it deals with patterns and ratios (Vaughn, 2000). Research has shown that music, both music education and simply listening to music, can benefit students. The purpose of this study is to look at how music can affect test scores in the subject of mathematics in grades kindergarten through sixth grade.... [tags: connection between music and education]
2310 words (6.6 pages)
- Throughout Pittsburgh history, the area has produced many acclaimed musicians and music organizations that have created music that has been enjoyed across America. Pittsburgh is a city of music with a history in Jazz, Classical, Pop, Doo-Wop, Rock, and most currently Rap. Many of Pittsburgh’s old musicians are award winning performers and song writers who have sold millions of records. Their music can now be heard on movies, TV, and even Broadway shows. These famous artists would be nothing without their teachers, producers, music promoters, managers, and radio personalities.... [tags: Music History ]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- The History of Babylonian Mathematics The history of ancient Babylonia is really long, but this essay is a short and to the point summery of the entire history. The history of Babylonia started near the end of the year 2000 BC, when invaders were attacking the Sumer kingdom. Sumer was a powerful kingdom in the western part of Asia, and it some what occupied what would become Babylonia. After the kingdom of Sumer was destroyed the city-states of Larsa and Isin came into settle on the land once occupied by Sumer.... [tags: Babylonia Mathematics Education Essays]
1575 words (4.5 pages)
- History of Folk Music in America "Hillbilly" music grew out of the rich tradition of British folk ballads, songs and hymns brought to North America by British settlers and then adapted to the peculiar circumstances, e.g., biographical names, place names, frontier concerns, of the North American wilderness. It is important to remember that all of the colonies were British, from Maine to Georgia. The exact ethnic origins of the south are difficult to determine and not well documented.... [tags: Music History Research papers]
2148 words (6.1 pages)
- The Egyptians are one of the earliest known and most well documented people to inhabit the Earth. They were one of the first people to respond to practical needs within agriculture, business, and industry. Moreover, archaeological and historical artifacts suggest that the Egyptians were among the first to develop the study of mathematics. This paper will discuss the development of mathematics in ancient Egypt, focusing on the use of hieroglyphs, the decimal system, and hieratic writing and numerals to demonstrate that the Egyptians made notable contributions to modern day understandings of mathematics.... [tags: Mathematics]
656 words (1.9 pages)