The Giant Squid is, as the name describes, a massive squid, of the genus architeuthis, which can grow up to 43 feet long, and weigh more than half a ton. Some have even reported squids that are 60 or more feet long, although squids this size have yet to be confirmed by science. Like other squids, it has ten arms, eight of which are used to swim, and two of which are used to gather food, and are generally considerably longer than the ones used to swim. As well, it has the largest eyes in the animal kingdom. It moves by both using its arms to swim and a funnel to channel and pump water to move swiftly through the ocean water. It uses a sharp beak to devour its prey, which consists of mainly “deep-sea fishes, such as orange ruffie, and hokie” .
The Giant Squid has been well-known throughout myth and legend, supposedly gobbling up people, and even sinking ships. The term for “Giant Squid” then was “Kracken”, and these creatures would hunt down unsuspecting ships and destroy them with its massive limbs. However, this has not been recorded to ever happen in the scientific world. In fact, these creatures rarely come to the surface unless they are injured or dying. Although they have been seen fighting with sperm whales, they wouldn’t have the strength or ability to take down a decent sized ship.
The first official sighting o...
... middle of paper ...
...ours them. But science has proven only a gentle giant; a natural abnormality that wanders the depths of the ocean. Science has never recorded the Giant Squid attacking a boat full of people (although it has had some battles with sperm whales).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ames have been played before we began to record time. Almost 50 years ago, games changed into a new form. Magnavox Odyssey can be debated to be the first game console. Throughout 50 years ago and now, video games have become essential to every living room and a pastime to every young child. Companies have risen from this new industry, to produce games to young investors and dominate the game world. With new technology, graphics, and software: gaming franchises run mostly by public support. Each decade that passes, games are changed by America’s public these games change based on how the public perceives them.... [tags: technology, Atari, Magnavox Odyssey]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- Alexander the Great is a great example to this new title change, he was known as a legend, a hero and even the Messiah. Alexander was born on the summer of 356 BC and died in the month of Daisios (June) 323 BC. His parents are Olympias and Philip, Olympias was the princess of the Molossia in Epirus, which was named after Andromache and Neoptolemus son. Neoptolemus is the same man who slain King Priam, and is also the son of Achilles. So it is said that Alexander was a descendant of the “flawed hero of the Illiad”.... [tags: Alexander The Great, Legend, Hero, History]
1150 words (3.3 pages)
- The characters Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones in Washington Irving’s “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” are an example of two American types, brains and brawn. The brainy American type is intelligent, book smart, and usually thin and tall. The brawny type is characteristically strong, muscular, and street smart, but not necessarily book smart. These descriptions epitomize Irving’s characters Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones. Ichabod Crane is an example of the American type, brains. He is a school teacher, or as Irving describes him, “a pioneer of the mind.” (535) He reads books about witchcraft and believes in the supernatural.... [tags: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod Crane]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- ... This causes most of what they eat to become waste, and many nutrients are lost. To overcome this obstacle panda’s must eat 20-40 pounds of bamboo a day. Since so much bamboo is needed they spend 10-16 hours a day looking for and eating bamboo. The rest of their time is spent digesting and resting. As pandas eat they pick up bamboo seed and as they get rid of waste the seeds of bamboo are planted. They eat a lot of bamboo but they spread bamboo as they go. Sadly deforestation is the a serious cause of pandas lower population.... [tags: Giant Panda, Bamboo, Endangered species]
1415 words (4 pages)
- The Legend of Big Liz During the Civil War there was a slave girl named Elizabeth...who worked on a plantation in Dorchester County. Her owner was a very wealthy man who was extremely paranoid that he would lose his assets if the war reached his home and the North won. As things began turning out poorly for the Confederates, the owner decided to hide his treasures in the Greenbriar Swamp. He took Elizabeth, who he called Liz, deep into the swamp and had her dig a hole to bury the treasure in. After the hole was dug and the treasure placed in it, the owner knocked Liz over the head and into the hole with his shovel.... [tags: Ghost Story Urban Legend]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- I do not know about you, but I like my reads to have content of all things that I love. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow contains just that. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow will have you sleeping with your night light on, in awe of male ego battling for ones true love, and giving you a piece of history as well. Washington Irving being influenced by a neighborhood friend by the name of “Bugbee” of fairy tales was only the beginning of what filled his imagination. “when I was very young, I had irrepressible flow of spirits that often went beyond my strength.... [tags: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod Crane]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Many evenings during the winter, Ichabod spent with the old Dutch wives. They would tell ghost stories as well as other super natural beings and demons while sitting by the fire. There was a certain story that was never left out, the legendary Headless Horseman, or sometimes known as the Hessian of the Hollow. The story went on that there was a soldier who with a cannon ball had gotten his head shot off and since roamed through Sleepy Hollow looking for his lost head while on his horse. The Headless Horseman has a jack-o-lantern that sits in replacement of his head.... [tags: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod Crane]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- ... This allows the panda to be able to climb great heights in avoidance of predators or environmental floods. In terms of a giant pandas behavior when interacting with other organisms, they are considered to be extremely territorial animals, especially towards other bears. In order to claim their own territory as well as avoid entering another panda’s area, these animals will use scent markers as indicators (Kelly, 2016). Outside of their own species, giant pandas form various relationships with other species.... [tags: Giant Panda, Bamboo, Bear, Endangered species]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- The Changing of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow "Once upon a time" is the predictable beginning of a fairy tale and "happily ever after" is the ending. "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving is a classical myth that defies the conventional standards of a fairy tale. Set in a valley in New England, It's a gothic tale of mystery and suspense that bears no definite ending surrounding the myth of the "Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow" (Heath 1355). The original text created by Irving was intended for the mature reader, a reader who could understand a sense of irony, had knowledge of history, and taste.... [tags: Legend Sleepy Hollow]
2577 words (7.4 pages)
- Dracula Reconsidered Background: The legend of Dracula is a renowned tale told all over the world. Created by Irish writer, Bram Stoker, the story was inspired by the Romanian ruler, Vlad Dracul. The story teller was a Caucasian 49-year-old male. He was born and raised in Bucharest, Romania and was quite familiar with the past history of and current events in the country. He identified with the Romanian orthodox religion. The Story: “Everyone knows the story of Dracula. [Walks around the table, moves his hands as he speaks.] He has been depicted in novels, movies, and paintings.... [tags: Legends]
1705 words (4.9 pages)