Instagram was founded in 2010 by Kevin Systrom. Kevin was born on December 30, 1983 in Holliston Massachusetts. As a child, he was introduced to a game called Doom 2, which spark an interest in computer programming. Systrom attended Stanford University and in 2006, received a bachelor’s degree in management science and engineering. After graduating, he joined Google as an associate product marketing manager. Kevin spent two years at Google before leaving to join Nextstop. During his time at Nextstop, he developed a prototype called Burbn and pitched it to Baseline Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz. They loved the idea, and as a result; he received $500,000 to build Burbn. During the development of the program, he identified that Burbn contained too many features and decided to focus on one specific feature, photo sharing. After recognizing the need for a photo –sharing app, he would team up with Mike Krieger, a Brazilian entrepreneur, and together they would create Instagram.
Instagram is a mobile app that allows users to share their photos and videos. In addition, the app offers users an ability to customize the image using filters. The purpose of the filters is to turn a mobile photo into an artistic-looking image. The name was derived from the combination of “instant camera” and telegram. According to an article published by Mikaela Rakos, Instagram started with “one million monthly users” (Rakos 2014). In April of 2012, the company reached 30 million users. As a result, Facebook noticed the growth and bought the app for one billion dollars (on April 9, 2012). From that point on, the usage of Instagram has gone up exponentially, reaching 150 million users in 2013. Instagram’s growth...
... middle of paper ...
... in the app; instead treat it as a way of sharing your experiences through photos. This is far more interesting than posting selfies of you.
The second problem deals with the photo sizing. As mentioned above, the formatting for photos on Instagram are square 612x612 pixels. Many times, the image looks small. However, there are ways to work around this. Other apps, like InstaFrame, offer a way to frame photos and share them on Instagram. This allows users to show the full image on Instagram (instead of cropping it and losing some of the image). In addition, the app offers a wide variety of frames, giving the smartphone photographers another way to be creative.
Overall, Instagram is fairly simple to learn, offers an effective privacy option, provides a variety of filters and is used by millions of users. This makes the app a must for consumers and businesses alike.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For quite some time, a considerable discussion and debate has been going on whether or not there is compatibility between democracy and Islam. After the birth of Islam, the extensive spread of the Muslim population make this monotheistic, Abrahamic religion is the second largest in the world with over a billion followers. Throughout the passage of time, many have come to opinionate that liberal democracy can exist in the Muslim world as it has all the necessary elements that a modern democratic state and society requires.... [tags: islam, muslim, religion, democracy]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Literature and Conceptual Framework Unfortunately, there is a lack of research on termination specifically in the correctional setting; however, other research can be consulted to draw parallels. At first, the researcher will review the literature on the topic of termination, its history, and the issue of forced termination. Then the researcher will explore why therapy in the correctional setting is important. Historical Overview of Therapy Termination All psychotherapeutic work has to end because it is the most fundamental goal of therapy to make itself obsolete.... [tags: psychotherapy, freud, anxiety, anger]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- Fire Island, A Historical Overview “Rhythmic waves, high dunes, ancient maritime forests, historic landmarks and glimpses of wildlife—Fire Island has been a special place for diverse plants, animals and people for centuries” The origin of Fire Island's name is not quite clear; there are many stories as to where the Island got its name. It is thought that its Native American name was Sictem Hackey, which translated means “Land of the Secatogues”, an Indian tribe in Bay Shore, New York. It was also part of what was called the "Seal Islands."Some historians have also suggested that the name Fire derived from a misinterpretation of the Dutch word "vijf" ("five") or in another version "vier" (... [tags: Geography]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Historical Accuracy of Shakespeare’s Works A heart felt tragedy and a whimsical comedy looking past the fictional of fairies and extreme use of over melodramatic language, both works are held by a factual anchor. Both Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream take place during the Renaissance era, written by William Shakespeare. His writings have also been known to reflect the culture of the time era. Both Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream are historically accurate to a large extent because of the settings, the allusions to history, and the realistic characters that Shakespeare incorporates into his plays.... [tags: historical analysis, British playwrights]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- THE LOUISIANA WEEKLY: AN HISTORICAL OVERVIEW The Founding: The Twenties The Louisiana Weekly is among the oldest newspapers that African Americans publish in the United States. The weekly paper published in New Orleans for 80 years, as of 2005, has chronicled the ups and downs of black people, particularly before the mid-1960s when mainstream newspapers began the slow climb toward progressive reporting of the affairs of blacks. Constant Charles Dejoie, Sr., president of the Unity Industrial Life Insurance Company in New Orleans, invested approximately $2,000 and founded The Louisiana Weekly, the first issue of which was dated September 19, 1925.... [tags: American History]
4012 words (11.5 pages)
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)
- A Historical Overview of Women's Suffrage Movement in US and Arizona 1. An Overview Of Women's Suffrage Movement In The United States The women’s suffrage movement achieved victory with the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution in 1920. For the first time in more than 110 years, women were given the right to vote. However, nine states at this time already guaranteed the women’s vote. At this time, all nine states lay west of the Mississippi, (Rothschild, p.8).... [tags: Essays Papers]
2286 words (6.5 pages)
- A Historical Overview of the Geography, Politics, and Culture of Montserrat Montserrat is a small Caribbean island with an interesting geographical, economic, political, and cultural history. Montserrat was inhabited by a succession of Amerindian groups before being discovered by Spanish explorers in the 1400s. In the seventeenth century, Montserrat was claimed by Great Britain, and settled by an English ruling class, and their Irish indentured servants and African slaves. These new inhabitants created a plantation economy in order to grow sugar cane, thereby significantly changing the landscape.... [tags: Essays on Politics]
6350 words (18.1 pages)
- Historical Overview Of The Peloponnesian War (431 - 404 BC) Introduction The Peloponnesian War is widely known as the second war between the Athenian and Spartan coalitions. In Thucydides'narratives on the war, he described that the war took place during a period when the Greek world was divided into two great alignments each led by either Athens or Sparta, with both sides at the height of their powers. Two Diametric Powerful Greek City-States At the start of the war, Athens wielded great political and economic power in the Greek world.... [tags: World History War]
1192 words (3.4 pages)