When the time comes and you realize you need to hire in-home help, you will need to be skillful at hiring the person that will match the needs of the person you are providing care. If you do decide to hire an unlicensed worker, the first thing you will need to know is that there is a cottage industry of home care workers who might take on three or four people in a community. This is a point you should know early in the hiring process.
The following are sample questions and issues to consider:
1. How much caregiving experience does the person have?
2. Have they worked with Alzheimer’s or dementia patients?
3. Have you worked with someone with diabetes?
4. How do you feel about intimacy issues related to incontinence and diaper changing?
5. Do they have any religious freedom issues?
6. How do they feel about working with LGBT seniors?
7. Have they worked with persons with AIDS/HIV?
8. Have they worked with persons with Hepatitis C?
9. What is their level of formal training?
10. Do they drive or have their own transportation, or use public transportation, o...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One day, we all may end up in a nursing home. Many do not think of what can happen once you turn 60. Suppose you live with your parents and work all day you get a call that your father, who is 65, has fallen. You may not think of what happened, but just thinking about if his ok and hopping it is not a big deal. Just wanting for your father get well a soon as possible. Not thinking a fall to an elderly person can do major damage. Then it hits you, your father will have to go into a nursing home for therapy.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing home, Geriatrics, Home care]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Absenteeism Absenteeism occurs due to employee sickness, and low rates of absenteeism correlates with employees who have been in long-term care for a longer period (Singh, 2010, p. 426). The longer the employee has been working at the facility or residence, the less likely it is that they will be absent from work. It is important to manage absenteeism so that employees will take their absent days more seriously and prevent them from taking sick or personal days. According to Singh (2010, p. 426), management regulates absenteeism with written policies for an excused and unexcused absence; in addition, procedural consequences are listed for each additional absence.... [tags: Employment, Nursing Home Care]
1065 words (3 pages)
- One of the fastest growing fields in America is that of the physician assistant profession. Physician assistants are medical professionals who provide diagnostic and preventative health care services under the supervision of doctors. Forbes magazine recently listed physician assistants as the fourth fastest growing profession in the United States. Although the profession is currently getting a wealth of attention, the idea of physician assistants has been around for centuries. More recently due to the shortage of physicians, there has been an increased need for physician assistants.... [tags: Healthcare]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- In long term care facilities the number of patients over the age of 65 is expected to increase with in the next decade. Providing care to the elderly population will become a challenge and possibly strain on an already sensitive work force. Therefore forcing them to find ways to help staff reduce stress and increase staff productivity and staff morale then in turn will lead to patient satisfaction. Nursing homes in the future will have to deal with the cuts in healthcare funding when they are struggling to stay above water.... [tags: Nursing, Employment, Nursing home]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- I’ve chosen to compare management styles between two countries, my home country of the USA and Switzerland. The USA is the wealthiest nation when GDP is considered, but ranks third per capita for wealth. It only ranks 13th in happiness despite an enviable rank for wealth. Because happiness is so valuable, I’ve searched for a happy nation that also has wealth in order to consider adopting management practices of that nation. Switzerland is the wealthiest nation per capita, and is the 2nd happiest nation in the world.... [tags: Management, United States, Switzerland]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- term was defined. In the article by the American Nurses Association (2012), “Position statement: Care coordination and registered nurses’ essential role”, teamwork was defined as a partnership with health care providers, patients, and families to provide health care needs. An example would be, when an elderly patient presents to the emergency room with confusion, the health care team will do what is necessary to diagnosis this patient. The Certified Nurse Assistant may take the patients vital signs, the Registered Nurse will obtain the urine specimen to assess for a urinary tract infection (UTI), and the physician will determine if it is an UTI, what antibiotic, and treatment will be neede... [tags: Nursing, Nursing home, Home care]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- In the past several weeks the Home Company has gone through a large turnover in employees and the company is looking to write new policies and get the company on the right track. The Home Company President has requested that we hire an Executive Assistant for him. This is a new position and it is very important that we understand his expectations of this position so we are able to hire the right person for this job. After determining the core job functions of the Executive Assistant it is important to be specific on the essential functions of this position.... [tags: Business Analysis ]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- Is the doctor in. Rural health care is a real challenge in the United States. Imagine needing emergency services and a doctor is not available. Imagine living in a remote area where specialized medical services are miles away. In rural areas these situations are a reality not imaginary. Physician assistants have the ability to impact and influence the solution to the growing healthcare crisis. So, what is a physician assistant and why am I interested in becoming one. The role of the physician assistant is growing because of the ageing population and the decline in medical care practitioners.... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Health]
717 words (2 pages)
- Racial Disparities in Health Care and Home care Even though the health care industry equally provides services for every people, the racial disparities still exist today. Nursing homes and other healthcare facilities in United States practice inadequately service to minority patients. This paper will explore how current minority people experience inferior quality of care and poor resources from medical facilities. Furthermore, how the facilities in poor conditions can not facilitate patients resulting in low quality healthcare service and some go back home without getting the treatment that they need.... [tags: Health care, Nursing home, Healthcare]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- There are over two million elderly people living in nursing homes today (Franklin, 2013). No one ever expects to live out his or her later years in life in a nursing home. When people are young they may not realize the obstacles in life that may cause them not to have a place or person to spend their older years in life with. Regrettably, many of the elderly are not treated with the care and respect they deserve. “Poor quality of care is endemic in many nursing homes” (Fernandez, 2011). It is the responsibility of the younger generation to make sure that the elderly are taken care of and that neglect does not happen.... [tags: Geriatrics, Elderly care, Nursing home, Healthcare]
820 words (2.3 pages)