Be sure to bring extra batteries in the event your primary batteries die. Remember that no matter how much you plan , how well you know the trail, or how closely you keep track of time sometimes you will become sidetracked or disoriented and night fall arrives. This happens when some of us are not paying attention or are unfamiliar with a trail.
While a flashlight is no excuse for staying out later than you should, but if a problem arises, you will be prepared to deal with the situation.
A candle is another light source that you could use to light your way, although not as bright as a flashlight, they can be useful for starting a fire and illuminating your trail. They are multi-useful.
First Aid Supplies
This is an important essential to bring with you on your hike.
In your first aid kit you should have your medication, a few band aids, some gauze pads, alcohol wipes, Neosporin, mosquito repellant, a needle, dental floss, and hand sanitizer. Prepackaged first aid kits are available at most retail stores like Walmart or Target. Double your effectiveness with knowledge: Take a basic first aid class with the American Red Cross or a Wilderness...
... middle of paper ...
...ng nuts choose almonds, peanuts, sesames, walnuts, hazelnuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, filberts, cashews, and mixes. All these nuts have healthy monounsaturated fats and pack a protein punch!
There is a popular hiking snack among hikers known as GORP. It stands for Good Ole Fashioned Raisins and Peanuts.
GORP is a high energy snack which is designed to be very convenient and portable, allowing people to carry it on hikes for extra nutrition and ready-to-eat calories. It can be made in different varieties that include nuts, dried fruits, M&M’s raisins, grains, seeds, dark chocolate, honey roasted pretzels, walnuts, hazelnuts, dried cranberries or anything you like. It is classically eaten straight out of hand as a snack food.
The ingredients for GORP is endless. The key is to add the items you and make sure it has a healthy balance of sweetness and saltiness.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Beginners Guide to Running for Fitness Setting fitness goals are one of the most common resolutions included in most people’s list. Unfortunately for many, this desire soon fizzled out in a week or two and this is because of lack of planning and setting unrealistic goals. Some tend to choose fitness activities that require a lot of time and planning, while others choose those that doesn’t need a lot of maintenance such as running and jogging. Running is probably one of the best form of exercise everyone can do; however, some people just run without realizing that they’re doing it the wrong way.... [tags: planning, goals, techniques]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- Beginners Guide to Becoming an Angler It is a cool summer morning; an angler trolls around a point on the ghostly lake. He is casting a buzz bait out on top of the calm water. He slowly reels in as the aluminum propeller buzzes through the fog. All of a sudden, through the fog a bass shoots out off the water snatching the bait. The angler experiences a rush. As the adrenaline kicks in, he pulls hard on the rod and hooks the scaly predator in the mouth. So begins the life and death struggle. The man reels and pulls, while the fish swims for dear life, hoping to snap the line as it is getting ever closer to the fisherman’s boat.... [tags: fishing, fish, casting, bait, sport]
2222 words (6.3 pages)
- One wonderful ability that people have always been able to do is walk thousands of miles through tough terrain to get where they want/need to go. The exercise known as hiking was practiced all over the world, including the famous Appalachian Trail, approximately 2,184 miles long. The A.T. was “Conceived in 1921, built by private citizens, and completed in 1937, today the trail is managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, numerous state agencies and thousands of volunteers”, as stated on the National Park Services website.... [tags: exercise known as hiking]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Sun Clothes. I buy most of my sun protection clothing from a company called Coolibar. I recommend Coolibar long sleeve UV shirts, pants and sunhats. They weave a 50 UV sun block material called Zinc into their clothing. The cost for the long sleeve shirts are $40.00. The sun hats can be bought from $30.00 to $50.00. They sometimes have sales going throughout the year. Sunblock. Any “UV 30 SPF” brand will protect your skin. Make sure it is 30 SPF or higher. The brands I use are Banana Boat and Coppertone since they offer excellent sun protection.... [tags: sun protection, footwear, knives]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Gas powered RC helicopters are some of the toughest and most exciting choppers to take to the sky in the RC world. These birds exhibit all of the power, torque, and top-notch flight performance of their full-scale cousins in a small package that is simply amazing. While these helicopters may look similar to their electric counterparts, they differ tremendously in the fact that gas powered RC helicopters are the most realistic thing you can fly short of sitting in the cockpit of a full-scale high-performance helicopter.... [tags: Designs, Cautionary Tips]
614 words (1.8 pages)
- Process of Hiking The Appalachian Trail The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, is a footpath in the eastern United States for outdoor enthusiasts, extending about about 2140 miles from Maine to Georgia, along the crest of the Appalachian Mountains. The trail passes through 14 states and is maintained by 34 different trail maintenance organizations. It is the longest marked, continuous footpath in the world, at some points reaching elevations of more than 6000 feet. Wooden signposts and white paint marks on rocks and trees are placed along the trail.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
1051 words (3 pages)
- The Guide Dog Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner Benny - He is one of the Alden children. He is six years old.. Jessie - She is one of the Alden children. She is twelve years old. Henry - He is one of the Alden children. He is 14 years old. Violet She is one of the Alden children. She is ten years old. Grandfather Alden He is the grandfather of the Alden children. They live with him. Jason Peters He is a trainer at the Greenfield Guide Dog School. Mrs. Carter She is the owner of the Greenfield Guide Dog School.... [tags: Gertrude Chandler Warner Guide God Mystery]
1483 words (4.2 pages)
- Student Survival Guide When starting a new course: The first resource I need to use is the course syllabus. The syllabus includes the course overview, and then the week by week assignments. Within in the weekly assignments are your materials needed for the week, and are usually in a word or pdf document. If you don't have the programs to read the downloads; you can download the programs to read the document's on you student web sight. My instructors contact information is also a valuable resource with in my course syllabus.... [tags: How To Guide]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- MIDI for beginners Background The acronym MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. A Musical Instrument is a machine that makes sounds which humans have decided to call music. Digital means information that is encoded in numerical form, i.e. numbers, while Interface means a machine which facilitates communication between two or more systems. In practical terms, MIDI is a standard way for all sorts of modern musical equipment to talk to each other. This equipment commonly consists of things like keyboards, computer sequencers, synthesisers, and samplers, but it also includes mixers, tape recorders, effects generators, guitars, drum kits, wind instruments etc.... [tags: Computer Science]
711 words (2 pages)
- The Coyote (canis latrans) . Sharp fangs, mean growl, shrill cry. You may think I am talking about a new werewolf movie, but I am really talking about the coyote. It is not as fierce as it may sound, They are quite unique animals. Their ability to adapt to almost any enviorment is astounding. The Name The name coyote is a Spanish alteration of the original Aztec name coyotl. The Latin name Canis latrans, meaning barking dog, was given to it by Thomas Say, who published a description of the species in 1833.... [tags: essays research papers]
1335 words (3.8 pages)