High schools frequently have problems with tardy and absent students. Starting school bells contrast with adolescents sleep patterns and needs. One fact that has been noticed through research is that later-starting schools have a higher increase in student attendance (Lamberg). Biologists have even been able to prove that it is a natural tendency for teenagers to stay up later at night and wake up later in the morning (Tonn, 2). For teena...
... middle of paper ...
...generally advocates of the time change. Even though later start times would be a hamper to after school activities, lengthening the day would help close the achievement gap between students who attend early-starting schools and later-starting schools. Later school start times can demonstrate some positive long-term effects.
Lamberg, Lynne. "High Schools Find Later Start Time Helps Students' Health And
Performance." JAMA: Journal Of The American Medical Association 301.21 (2009):
2200-2201. Academic Search Complete. Web. 11 Mar. 2014.
Tonn, Jessica L. “Later High School Start Times A Reaction To Research.” Education Week
25.28 (2006): 5-17. Academic Search Complete. Web. 11 Mar. 2014.
Wahlstrom, Kyla. “Later High-School Start Times Still Working.” Education Digest 68.6
(2003): 49. Academic Search Complete. Web. 11 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- High school graduation is the most significant event of my life because it gave me a sense of completion, it has proved that hard work pays off, and it gave me a greater appreciation for my opportunities. My graduation was held on May 18th, 2015 at South Florida Fairgrounds. The morning of my graduation, my mother made me my favorite breakfast, and we later headed out to my make-up appointment. The end result of my make-up appointment was stunning, and as a bonus, I got it done for free. When I got home, I saw a bouquet of orchids with a note attached, from my dad.... [tags: High school, Graduation, High school diploma]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- In the case of Mountain School District, there is a clear hierarchical structure in place. Curriculum and reporting guidelines are established externally through the Ministry of Education. However, it is up to local school districts to develop a program that meets both these guidelines and the needs of the community. The school district operates schools under its umbrella and works with parent stakeholders to receive feedback. At the school level, School A has an administrator who manages daily operations including the teaching staff.... [tags: High school, Teacher, Staff, School district]
1953 words (5.6 pages)
- The Integration of Central High School Little Rock, Arkansas The desegregation of public facilities began with the decision of Brown vs Board of Education in 1954, where the Supreme Court of the United States deemed segregation unlawful and unconstitutional. The country was told that desegregation was to take place "with all deliberate speed". This angered the white community. Violent retaliation was the means used to prevent the integration of blacks into various public facilities. In fact, the Autherine Lucy case demonstrated to the entire country that violent mobs could halt integration demanded by a federal court order.... [tags: Papers]
697 words (2 pages)
- The overriding rationale for education vouchers is the simple fact that private schools are better than public schools and public schools are a disaster, creating an illusion. There is a wide assumption that private schools somehow increase educational equity, with the interpretation that all low-income children and minorities can take advantage of private education. What is not known about education vouchers is the way it uses private school as a scapegoat in order to avoid the real issues surrounding the problems of public schools.... [tags: Private Schools]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. “Man, is it really 5:30 already?” It’s Monday morning, and you’re having trouble getting up, you’re not the only one. Waking up in the morning for school is one of the hardest things to do, especially when you feel like you haven’t slept in a week. Why can’t students just go to bed earlier, then they’ll have their 8 hours of sleep. Studies have shown “that teenagers’ body clocks are set to a schedule that is different from that of younger children or adults. This prevents adolescents from dropping off until around 11 p.m., when they produce the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin, and waking up much before 8 A.m.” (Nancy Kalish).... [tags: high school, sleep deprivation]
653 words (1.9 pages)
- Later School Start Times Everyone has always hated getting up super early to go to school. As children get older they move to different schools, from elementary to middle to high school, and the start times get earlier. In elementary school it was never a problem getting up but getting older, it always got harder to get up and the days were always longer. Schools start so early in the morning that it is hard to focus and students tend to miss more of their earlier classes and attend all of their later classes.... [tags: high school, adolescents, getting up]
1404 words (4 pages)
- For my senior service learning project, I volunteered at Helfrich Park STEM Academy and worked with several of their after school groups and attended the annual LBL trip. After completing the speech season, Land Between the Lakes, and a few extra hours earned from academic team, my partner and I had approximately 73 hours. I earned about 15 of my hours from volunteering with Helfrich’s speech team; during these hours I would work with members either on their own or in pairs. However, a majority of my hours originated from LBL as the trip began early on a Friday morning and continued on until noon of the following Sunday; overall that trip constitutes for around 54 hours.... [tags: High school, College, Middle school]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- 1. My General Reflections and Impressions Going into the observation at the high school level, I was intending for a very boring time, due to the fact that I plan on teaching at the elementary level. However, throughout my time observing this Life Skills class I actually fell in love with it. So much so, that if I taught at the high school level I would definitely want to teach this class. At this high school there are two Life Skills classes and they do almost everything together. Through observing these two classes I felt an amazing sense of community and family.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, High school]
1688 words (4.8 pages)
- On Monday, October 17, 2016, I, Officer B. Moshier #133 was dispatched to Danny Jones Middle School located at 4500 E. Broad Street in Mansfield, Texas in reference to a fight in progress involving two adult males. Dispatch advised the fight was taking place near the football field at the rear of the school. Dispatch further advised that Mansfield Police Department was also enroute to the fight. Prior to any officers arriving on scene, dispatch advised that one of the males involved had left the scene.... [tags: High school, Profanity]
1835 words (5.2 pages)
- School Should Start Later Virtually everyday high school students are waking up around six o’clock in the morning to get ready for school, some even earlier than that. Just about every morning students are waking up without adequate sleep. If sleep is one of the most essential needs of the body in order to grow and develop, shouldn’t we be more aware of how much it affects students everyday performance. The ways in which students are affected by sleep-deprivation is precisely why school needs to start later.... [tags: High school, Sleep, Sleep deprivation]
1014 words (2.9 pages)