How are kids suppose to learn the most valuable lessons in life if their parents don’t allow it? Overprotective parenting causes kids to miss out on lessons that best prepare them for their futures. Most lessons are best learned when someone fails, or does something wrong. Failure helps teach and guide people how to overcome their tasks so they can eventually become successful. People learn from their failures, which will later on help them in one way or another in their futures. Although overprotective parents think they are helping their children avoid harm, or getting hurt, it is causing their kids to miss out on experiences that can help guide them throughout their lives. Not only do kids miss out on life lessons, they can also possibly miss out on the joys of life. Having overprotective parents can cause children or teens to miss out on great experiences that you only get the chance to do as a kid.
Throughout high school, most people create and experience many different friendships with people. Depending how close you become with this friend, usually you meet their parents. I witnessed many different levels of parenting, ranging from not caring at all, to parents that are way too overprotective. I just happened to be best friends with a girl that had the most overprotective parents. My friend Sierra wasn 't allowed to do most things that teenagers do. For example, she couldn 't date till she was 16, rarely got to go out and eat, and wasn 't allowed to go to anyone 's house unless their parents called hers. Well this only created her to become sneaky and lie to her parents all the time. In the Side Effects of Overprotective Parenting Doug Hewitt mentions, “Teens often test the boundaries of their overpr...
... middle of paper ...
...he same experiences of her peers and I because her parents wouldn 't allow it. I felt bad for my friend Sierra; it really made me realize the affects of strict parents on kids. It held her back from experiences that everyone should experience and take with them throughout their lives.
Although overprotective parents are just doing what they do because they love their kids, they need to step back and really think about the involvement their kids can be missing out on. Not only do they miss out on important experiences, it can cause them to have bad relationships and communication levels with their parents, which they could possibly carry with them throughout their lives. I am not saying parents shouldn 't care and let their kids do whatever they want, but they need to find a way to keep their kids safe without holding them back from life lessons and experiences.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Some teenagers today seem to be heading into colleges and universities without a care in the world while thinking that the next step in their life will be a breeze and just like high school too, but with alcohol. Honestly though, I think they are sorely mistaken. All these fallacies they obtain are completely derived from high school. Right from the beginning of it even, and in my opinion is taught from peers and some teachers alike. I would say some friendly tips are in order to try and help new high school students from being blinded from reality right out of the gate.... [tags: High school, College, Education, Teacher]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- High school has been a very irreplaceable experience for me. It has been a very hilly road with many ups and downs. I look back to freshman year and it is hard to believe that in only a couple months I will have reached my first destination out of many more. I feel like my high school experience has very well prepared me for college and facing the real outside world as a whole. Overall, I feel like I have been equipped for not only college, but also life as a whole. I have learned how to how with others and express what I think appropriately.... [tags: High school, College, Secondary school]
1407 words (4 pages)
- High school has been an irreplaceable experience for me. It has been a very hilly road with many ups and downs. I look back to freshman year and it is hard to believe that in only a couple months I will have reached my first destination out of many more. I feel like my high school experience has prepared me very well for college. Overall, I feel like I have been equipped for not only college, but also life as a whole. I have learned how to work with others and express what I think in a respectful manner.... [tags: High school, College, Academic term]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- In Wayne County there is a wide variety of characters. From doctors, to working class heroes, to flat out low lives. What do all these people have in common. They begin their path to whatever may lay ahead at Wayne County High School. The birthplace of all that is Wayne County. As I have watched and experienced over the years, the journey starts freshmen year. Walking up the hill on the sidewalk, dew still on the grass, through those doors into the biggest building on the whole campus, your judgement day can seem a little intimidating, but one soon learns that Wayne County High is not as scary as it seems.... [tags: High school, High School Musical, School]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Have you ever wondered why high school students are not successful in school. What makes students so unmotivated to do well in school. Adolescents face many challenges in regards to staying focused and motivated. These challenges are largely due to the lack of explanation, understanding, and work effort put into teaching the student. Motivation allows high school student to have an early advantage in student comprehension, involvement, and engagement. Motivating high school student teacher should teach in a way students are able to understand and comprehend.... [tags: Education, High school, Teacher, School]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- The essay. With the exception of a few budding writers, the majority of the high school population can be found groaning and complaining over this assignment. These students may not be aware of how beneficial an assignment such as this will be, if they decide to put the necessary effort in. Many essays written at a professional level have had a great influence on society and are still remembered. Strong writing is a skill intelligent and well rounded students possess; mastering this skill shows the ability to communicate and formulate thoughts into coherent sentences.... [tags: High school, Writing, Essay, High school diploma]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- Have we been lied to as students the last four years at high school. To a degree, I believe high school didn’t prepare us students for college, but I don’t believe that the teachers that make up the classes, are out to get us students for no reason. High school is a place that improves the overall development of a students’ intellect, and is a time where students can figure out what they want to do in life. High school however does not prepare students in a number of ways. High school is obviously easier than what the college standard is set at.... [tags: Education, University, School, High school]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- The Bifurcation of Education From where I lived before college, a fifteen minute walk would take me to the school I attended, Piedmont High School. Its student demographics: seventy percent White, less than two percent African American. A twenty minute walk in the opposite direction would lead to Oakland Technical High School. Its student demographics: thirty-four percent African American, twenty-two percent White. Despite the ruling of Brown v. Board of Education, segregation in schools is painfully apparent today.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, High school]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- Life hasn’t always been a smooth course for me. There have been some very derailing moments of my middle school as well as my high school life. As a diligent and hardworking student who kept my parents cheeks puffed up, I always did my best to maintain a high academic standing in school. Irrespective of my efforts, I had a few primary hindrances which could have retarded my maximum output at certain courses of my educational life. These heart breaking events published in sequels and series. I would like to take this opportunity, touching the surfaces of their genesis, highlighting salient points and finally driving to conclusion how I was able to pull through these inhibitory factions of my... [tags: High school, Middle school, College]
708 words (2 pages)
- The wise Malcom X once said, “A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.” The number of high school drop outs is highly increasing due to the diverse obstacles students come cross every day. Many people believe that school is not made for everyone, yet this statement is false. In fact, school is made for everyone since there are numerous programs and institutions around the world to help young adults strive for their dreams. The number of high school drop outs needs to start decreasing since young adults will receive a high paying job if they would receive a degree at a university, will not end up in jail, and be able to start a family with little to no struggles.... [tags: High school, Dropout, High school diploma]
736 words (2.1 pages)