In the Swales document we looked at in class, a discourse community has a set of common goals (Discourse Community). In high school basketball, the goal is to win the state championship. Also, a discourse community uses a specific jargon (Discourse Community). We see this in the rules and how some players and coaches communicate. Finally, a discourse community has its new members learn from experienced members (Discourse Community). This is evident when we talk about learning the fundamentals from the coaches. High school basketball can be a very diverse discourse community because while every team has different ways of doing things, they all have the same end goal of being the state champions. Basketball has always been an interest to me from growing up playing the game to only being able to play pickup games and not competitively like in high school. I play basketball, not only because it gives me a source of exercise, but it also allows me to be engaged in a competitive atmosphere again. To play basketball, you start knowing little and learn from your coach a lot more. It is important to learn how the game works from the different techniques of the game to the rules, goals, and communication that come with the game of basketball.
Basketball is defined as a game where two teams of five play each on a rectangular court, usually indoors (Basketball/Sport). Basketball was invented by James Naismith on December 1, 1891 (Basketball/Sport). The object of basketball is to shoot the basketball through the opposing team’s basket and to out-score them by end of the regulation time limit. If the score is tied at this time, the game will go into overtime until one team wins. While reading about basketball, I found i...
... middle of paper ...
...g back we see that while basketball can be diverse in the way teams strategize, communicate and compete, but are similar at the same time. They are similar in the fact that they all learn they all have the same goal and that goal is to win. High school basketball can help instill values such as hard work, respect, team work, and good communication skills in kids. Values, all of which are applicable in real life situations and can be used in their adult lives as their working environments could demand the need for teamwork and application. As I was always told basketball is 20% talent and 80% strength of mind.
"Basketball | Sport." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica. Web. 25 Sept. 2015. .
Basketball Basics. Web. 25 Sept. 2015. .
"What Is a Discourse Community?" What Is a Discourse Community?: ENC1102-13Fall 0027. Web. 18 Sept. 2015.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Lamar Carter known to all as, Vince Carter, was born on January 26.1977 in Daytona Beach, FL. Carter became an extraordinary leader at a young age. Carter used his talent to gain fame and fortune so that he could give back to his community and the less fortunate. During his years at Campbell Middle School he was the only seventh grader to ever play on the Varsity Basketball team, not only was he on the team but he was a starter on the team. While at Mainland High school he was captain of the Volleyball Team, member of the Marching Band and is known to be the most gifted basketball player to grace their court.... [tags: Biography Basketball]
1674 words (4.8 pages)
- During my last 3 years of high school I volunteered with a basketball program called the Ottawa Shooting Stars which was the club I played for during my first 3 years playing competitive basketball. The program that the Shooting Stars are running is called Small Ball. It is program for developing skills but mostly for having some fun and introducing young players to the game of basketball. It manly focuses on Fundamentals such as dribbling, shooting, footwork and passing at the most basic level.... [tags: High school, Basketball, College]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Today’s society aims to keep kids off the streets and to get them into good environments. This goal is easily achievable with a 75 inch, symmetrical, orange globe—a basketball. The Federation of International Basketball Associations, or FIBA, states that over 450 million people in the world, from professionals to amateurs, play the game of basketball. The popularity of basketball is skyrocketing in the 605 with the help of two prosperous colleges in the city: The University of Sioux Falls and Augustana University.... [tags: Basketball, International Basketball Federation]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- High school is an interesting part in our life as it is. We spend the majority of the week surrounded with people that we dislike, tolerate, or some that we hopefully enjoy. We don 't have an option of whether we want to be there or not, it 's a requirement. A question for many people that have went to the same school their whole life may be is a large difference between going to a larger school or smaller school, and which is more enjoyable. I was fortunate enough to have experienced both, large and small schools.... [tags: High school, College, Graduation, Middle school]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- High school, in my opinion, has all four purposes of the American secondary schools have traditionally had elevated from the previous schooling experience for the students. To begin with intellectual aspect, it was very evident that high school emphasizes student’s development in intellectual property. The level of difficulty for each course intensifies as you advance to the next year. I remember taking a multiple number of standardized test while I was in school such as Standards of Learning (SOL) test and SAT test for college admission.... [tags: High school, College, Secondary education]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- Roma High School is located in Starr County in South Texas and it is located right on the Rio Grande River. When I say it is located on the Rio Grande, I mean that its city streets run east and west less than 100 yards from the river. The school has a population of 1753 students enrolled at this time and employs over 140 teachers. My observations were mostly done in March in April but I was able to do one in January and another in February.( put in your dates) Overall, I was quite satisfied with what I saw and was able to learn a few things through the observation process.... [tags: High school, Education, Rio Grande, Area]
1965 words (5.6 pages)
- An Effective but Exhausting Alternative to High-School Suspensions Systematic change among educational leaders includes the examination of effectiveness of many cogs in an organizations’ wheel. Improving all of these small pieces, which come together to make a whole organization, is imperative in improving effective teaching strategies and student learning and achievement in the education system. Educational leadership, school culture, mission, vision, discipline, appropriate professional development, and curriculum encompass just a few of these cogs necessary for appropriate and positive change.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, High school]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- Sports give influential learning experiences from practices and games that tend to stay with people for a very long time. Studies now show that people who have participated in high school sports and were on the varsity team spend more time giving back to the community and to charities. Research also shows that they often get better jobs and earn more money. When an athlete is interviewed for a job, more is expected out of him or her. Hiring managers expect to see more leadership skills and self-confidence.... [tags: High school, College, School, Academia]
2022 words (5.8 pages)
- High school basketball is not only a mental sport, but, also, a communication game. You must be able to communicate very well to play in Morgantown, West Virginia, especially at University High School. To make the team, you have to be basketball knowledgeable, talented, physically fit, and vocal. After four years of playing varsity basketball, the vocal part of the sport has helped me out in the long run. There are five positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center, but, the most important position is the point guard.... [tags: Sports Basketball]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Basketball was first introduced to Nova Scotia as early as 1895 but in the past thirty years the popularity of the sport has really taken off. The high concentration of universities in the province, the tradition and esteem of the high school programs, and the continued support from a large and knowledgeable basketball community have made the game a staple of Nova Scotia life, culminating with the capital city of Halifax becoming known as the basketball capital of Canada. When you talk about basketball in the Maritimes you can break it down into different levels of competition.... [tags: essays research papers]
2825 words (8.1 pages)