First of all, my dad displays bravery in every aspect of his life. My dad has to be brave in his line of work. He has worked as a Deputy Sheriff in Meade County for over fifteen years. Just as Targan’s father in True Grit acts, my dad never acts afraid when it comes to his job. My dad has never been afraid to go work calls such as deaths, car accidents, shootings, or domestic fights. He works these calls with ease, even when he does not look forward to them, he jumps into them without a second thought. Recently, my family has worried about my dad working in the law enforcement industry because of the media attention his profession has received. My dad however, acts brave as he leaves to work his shifts. I know that sometimes he has told us that he fears losing his life, but he continues to do his job, never quitting. Just like Targan, I do not know if my dad is a physically brave man, but he sure shows bravery mentally. Besides showing bravery in his job, my dad also displays bravery in crowds. I have always thought that my dad has an extremely rare gift of public speaking. He has spoken at several conferences over the years about drunk driving. I have never heard him rehearse for any of these speeches, but he always nails them. Dad has never been afraid of talking to strangers, either. On several occasions, he has stopped to ask directions at a gas station with no second ...
... middle of paper ...
...avagant. Whenever a chore needs done around the house, my dad is usually the first person to volunteer to help. I can remember several times where he cleaned our house last minute to save us all from disaster. Just like Targan’s father, my dad never expected glory from his selfless acts. My dad shows incredible selflessness when it comes to his work, his friends, and his family.
A hero can include someone who overcomes adversity, someone who displays bravery, or even just someone who makes the best out of every moment. I believe that a hero can not be defined in just a dictionary. Depending on who you ask, a hero can be defined in many different words. My father is just one hero out of thousands in the world. He happens to be an ordinary person that displays bravery,strength, and selflessness throughout countless measures, and I truly admire those qualities in him.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- We all have someone in our lives who we consider a hero. This hero may be an athlete, an actor, a friend, or a historical figure; but just like Targan in True Grit, my hero is who I think of as a hero. Karl Harris, my father, displays heroic qualities such as bravery, strength, and selflessness. I am honored to have such a heroic father who leads by example. First of all, my dad displays bravery in every aspect of his life. My dad has to be brave in his line of work. He has worked as a Deputy Sheriff in Meade County for over fifteen years.... [tags: Family, Hero, Mother, Sheriff]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Nora who lost her husband a few months prior and wasn’t celebrating Christmas and my mom brought her to the house and made her a delicious dinner and even gave her a present that was for my mother, but she gave it to her because she had no one to be with her in this time where family should be together. This act my mom didn’t have do, but she wanted to because she couldn’t bare to see someone be alone on a holiday like Christmas. Another example of her selflessness is she is a doctor and I remember one year she had planned to take a vacation with the family to Panama Beach and we all were really excited to see the beach again and visit some of our family that lived in Florida, but she go... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Hero, Yule]
1065 words (3 pages)
- The word hero has many different meanings and can be found in every culture around the world. Nowadays, hero’s have been made out to be something super when all they are ordinary people. Hero, as a word, has a dictionary definition like all words, however the true definition of the word has to come to each and every person around the world. Everyone is different so logically that should mean different people develop their own definitions for some words, such as hero. While a hero may be known today as someone with super-powers to a small child, that does not mean that is the deffinition for everyone else.... [tags: Hero, Character, Family, Fiction]
1396 words (4 pages)
- Like Aristotle had once said about tragedy, it is “the imitation of an action that is serious and also, as having magnitude, complete in itself; in appropriate and pleasurable language; … in a dramatic rather than narrative form; with incidents arousing pity and fear, where with to accomplish a catharsis of these emotions. A tragedy, therefore, is a kind of lie (“imitation”) that tells a certain truth about human nature and the self. Classical tragic heroes possess hamartia or a tragic flaw, such as hubris, that often lead to the character’s own downfall; and according to Aristotle, "A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his own downfall." The protagonist must not only poss... [tags: Tragic hero, Tragedy, Poetics]
1295 words (3.7 pages)
- People questioned if Beowulf acts of heroism can really be called heroic. He may have done it just to gain fame, or made it sound unrealistic so that people would see him as a god. A hero is someone who is isn’t afraid to dance with death if it means doing what is right, or protecting someone. Beowulf has shown to have this characteristic by his tales of adventures. For example “I drove five great giants into chains, chased All of that race from the earth. In the darkness of the night hunting monsters Out of the ocean, and killing them one By one” (154-158).... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Grendel, Grendel's mother]
1667 words (4.8 pages)
- The Hero’s Journey Or The Monomyth In every culture, there are stories that get past down from generation to generation (Campbell 1). Tales of knights who slay dragons and princesses who kissed frogs are a part of every culture. All over the world, stories share comment characteristic. Joseph Campbell introduces a theory based on this idea called the monomyth, the idea that stories all share the same narrative pattern, in the book The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Overall, this theory shows the same narrative pattern in stories throughout the world, which symbolically reveals all humans must tackle difficulties and overcome them many times throughout life (5).... [tags: Monomyth, Hero, The Hero with a Thousand Faces]
1403 words (4 pages)
- ... But this motivation is what will keep them going. The hero Beowulf undergoes many trials, each determining a new motivation and a new milestone in his lifetime. In the slaying of the first monster, Grendel, Beowulf was motivated by a need to display his strength and heroism to his own kingdom as well as Hrothgar. When Beowulf arrives it is very apparent that he is not simply there to assist the land of the Danes. Rather, he sees the monster as a grandiose opportunity to prove himself to all of those around him.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Courage, Heorot]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- When the hero was first struggling to be defined, there were many different observations and opinions readily available to be thrown into the melting pot of the definition. Because there was no television, the heroes in the beginnings of British Literature were spoken of and read about then passed down through generations. Reading these stories in this day and age is interesting to look at because we can trace the difference in the heroes throughout Beowlf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Faerie Queene and therefore literally throughout time.... [tags: Definition of Hero]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- What is a Hero. In today's modern times we hear the word hero all of the time. The news media throws the term around as if it is an everyday word. What exactly is a hero. Who, or what, can be classified as heroic. The correct definition of the word hero is: One invested with heroic qualities in the opinions of others. That is a fine definition for books and intellectual minds. To the average person, however, a hero is much more. To better understand what a heroic quality is it may be easier to describe what a hero is not.... [tags: Hero Heroes Definition Essays Papers]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- My Hero What is a hero. In my view a hero is someone that you admire. You may admirer them for their achievements, outlooks in life or maybe just because they are famous. In this case I admire my hero for his courage and his determination all through his personal life and his career. This story begins in Bellshill near Glasgow 24th September 1962 where a Glaswegian boy was born. His parents Alexander and May called their miracle Alistair Murdoch McCoist. If only his parents had known the difference this baby boy would make to Scottish football in years to come.... [tags: Hero Heroes Personal Essays]
1441 words (4.1 pages)