"Bill" Gates was born on October 28, 1955 in Seattle Washington. His father, William H. Gates, was a prominent lawyer and his mother, Mary Maxwell Gates, served on the board of directors for First Interstate Bancsystem and the United Way. When he was younger his family strongly encouraged competition and one visitor noted that regardless of what the game or sport was there was always a reward for winning and a penalty for loosing, which could have developed "Bill" Gates all or nothing attitude. Bill was a voracious reader as a child, spending many hours poring over reference books such as the encyclopedia. Around the age of 11 or 12, Bill's parents began to have concerns about his behaviour. He was doing well in school, but he seemed bored and withdrawn at times. His parents worried he might become a loner.
At the age of 13 his parents enrolled him in the Lakeside School which was a highly exclusive and expensive private school. This was partially because Bills parents were worried about his social habits. A year later ,after his enrolment, when he was in the eig...
... middle of paper ...
Jones,Q. (2010). Bill Gates Family. Available: http://www.billgatesfamily.com/. Last accessed 20/2/14.
Yogita Limaye. (4/2/14). Gates's replacement. Available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25973762. Last accessed 6/2/14.http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Fridson, Martin (2001), How to Be a Billionaire: Proven Strategies from the Titans of Wealth, John Wiley & Sons.
Gates, Bill (1996), The Road Ahead, Penguin Books,
Lesinski, Jeanne M. (2006), Bill Gates (biography), A&E Television Networks,
Manes, Stephen (1994), Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry and Made Himself The Richest Man in America.
Wallace, James (1993), Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire, New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
Patricia Brennan Demuth (2007). Who Is Bill Gates? (Who Was...?). Arizona,USA: Arizona Publishing. 1-170.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Joel Dinerstein, a professor at Tulane University, along with Frank Goodyear, a photographer scholar, shaped the “American Cool” exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery in the nation’s capital. They selected 100 coolest Americans based on original artistic vision, cultural rebellion, iconic power, and a recognized cultural legacy. However, they seem to have forgotten the founder of Microsoft. William Henry Gates III is widely known not only for his influence in the modern world as one of the founders of Microsoft, but also for his iconic contributions towards philanthropic causes, and for his legacy on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- William Henry Gates III ( October 28, 1955 , Seattle , Washington) is an American businessman , co-founder of Microsoft software , producing Windows , the operating system for personal computers most used in the world. He is married to Melinda French, and both can hold the leadership of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, dedicated to rebalancing opportunities in health and education globally, especially in disadvantaged regions , why have recently been awarded the Prize Prince Asturias International Cooperation 2006.... [tags: microsoft software, computers]
572 words (1.6 pages)
- The American dream to many is the social climb of classes and accumulation of wealth. For some it is just maybe getting their dream job or getting into their number one college. Everyone has dreams of what they want to be or do when they are older. Many have no clue if they are making the right decision, but some are so determined that nothing could get into their way. Some people just have dreams of doing something they enjoy but never really imagine it going that far. All major companies started off as ideas that someone had and decided to make it into a reality.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1683 words (4.8 pages)
- Bill Gates People, nowadays, spend many of their time with technology, working or having fun. One of those people who has contributed to technology is Steve Jobs, who created Apple Inc. which revolutionized the computer and mainly tablet industry with its amazing features. As equal as important as Steve Jobs, Marc Andreessen lead the creation of NCSA Mosaic, the web browser that transformed how we think about the World Wide Web. Additional to that, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web, which changed the way people communicate, work, study, and play.... [tags: microsoft, bill gates, ibm]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction William Henry Gates III was born on October 28th, 1955 in Seattle, Washington (Gates, 2016). This man grew up to be one of the richest men alive, and he is known as Bill Gates. In it says that he grew up in the upper middle class with two sisters, Kristianne and Libby, one older and one younger than him, respectively. His mother, Mary Maxwell, was a student at the University of Washington, and his father, William H. Gates Sr., was a law student. Bill Gates’ mother was involved with charities and civic affairs while she devoted her time raising her children after a brief career as a teacher.... [tags: Bill Gates, Microsoft]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- Whenever and wherever human beings are gathered together in large numbers, they need leadership. A leader is someone who many people look to for direction, guidance, and inspiration, so it is important for our leaders to have the aptitude to make difficult decisions and to know and do what is right for the people. Leadership is a quality hidden in the personality of a human being. Our society depends on the abilities of our leaders and how well they can do their jobs. In today’s day in age a leader is a lot more than just someone who is in charge of a group of people but someone who conforms the people around him to be better as a whole.... [tags: software production, microsoft corporation]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- How Bill Gates Has Changed the World Bill Gates born as William Henry Gates III on October 28, 1995. He was born and raised in Seattle, Washington. Gates’s father was William H. Gates Sr, a legal scholar. His mother, Mary Maxwell Gates who was a school teacher. Gates has two sisters. His older sister is Kristianne and younger sister is Libby. Gates grew up in a strict household and his family was very close and loving. They were all very close and loved each other. Gates showed early signs of competitiveness when he was young and always wanted to be the best in whatever he did as he got older this helped him in life.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- Bill Gates Leader Report My favorite leader is William Henry Gates III, or Bill Gates to most people. Bill Gates is a computer engineer and world-class entrepreneur. He founded Microsoft Corporation in 1975 with a high school friend named Paul Allen. The leadership role that he serves is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation. Up until 1998, Gates was CEO of the company, but he relieved himself of those duties, and currently is only a software architect and serves on the Microsoft committee.... [tags: Bill Gates]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Craig Williams' “Enemy at the Gates” Craig Williams was born in Concord Massachusetts. He wrote the book “Enemy at the Gates” in 1973. The point of this book was to show both the extreme importance of this battle in the course of World War II and the courage of both the German and Russian troops during this horrific battle. This book did an excellent job portraying the hardships the soldiers faced and the gruesome scope of the battle for this important city. However, it did so with a pro-axis slant.... [tags: War WWII Two World Wiliams Gates Essays]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- Bill Gates William Henry Gates, also known as “Bill”, has established himself as the richest man in the world. He is the youngest self made billionaire, and perhaps the best businessman in the world. As you read along, you will learn what Bill Gates’ accomplishments were, what his beliefs were, and why this topic is so important. Bill Gates is important because not only did he change the computer technology in America, he also became the biggest, strongest, richest and the most powerful company in the world.... [tags: Biography Biographies Gates Essays]
857 words (2.4 pages)