Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.
From family dogs to strays, you never know what dogs will turn up in shelters. Going into a shelter to volunteer you have to be fast acting, strong and firm. Walking dogs who have never been on a leash can be hazardous when walking them by dog aggressive dogs. Dog fights through cages can be dangerous to both dogs. Do not let that scare you away, the rewards of knowing you are helping that animal pay off in the end. New dogs constantly come into the shelters as others get adopted. Every time you volunteer, whether it is everyday or on the weekends, you will see new faces of people who have the same passion for animals. You make friends along the way four legged or two they still are happy to see your face getting involved.
Lending a helping hand to other volunteers can be just as rewarding as playing with the animals at the shelter. “You 'll make the jobs of everyone working for animals a little easier by lending a hand and spreading the message of responsible pet ownership and animal protection” (Top Reasons to Volunteer). Most of the time the new volunteers do not have the experience that the older volunteers have. If there is something that needs to be done and one of the v...
... middle of paper ...
...using discomfort and sometimes results in the nail getting imbedded in the pads. Also, baths help check for fleas and ticks or any hot spots. Cleaning them will help with mats, and tangles. If the mat gets too close to the skin it causes irritation. Brushing teeth is also a procedure they need when grooming. Many small dogs have teeth that are too close together and collect tartar.
Volunteering at shelters can have positive effects for both the animals and the volunteers. It helps the animals relax and socialize while you are gaining experience. You help out your community and it looks great on resumes! Volunteering can help make the dogs more adoptable and helps them realize you are not going to hurt them. They will begin to trust and love again. While you volunteer you might find your best friend! Lend a helping hand, volunteer and adopt from your local shelters.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There is a big difference between giving a hand up, rather than a handout. In today’s society there are many people that need help all around the world. With this, comes many people that think they need help but really they just don’t want to help themselves. For the people that truly need help, many of these people would like to provide for themselves and their family but don’t get the opportunity to do so. Since most of these people would like to provide for themselves, why do we have organizations and individuals giving a hand out instead of a hand up.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1483 words (4.2 pages)
- The speaker I saw was Veronika Scott, BFA, and also the CEO of the Empowerment Plan based in Detroit, Michigan. Scott 's purpose of the speech was to inform, more specifically, to bring light to the obstacles homeless people face on a daily basis. She told her firsthand accounts of seeing homelessness from an outside perspective and how she was inspired to help change these people 's lives. She designed a coat for the homeless that doubles as a sleeping bag. This speech was put on by the University Speaker Series but people from outside UW Oshkosh came to see her speak.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- A Man's Best Friend For many of us, the animals in our lives are our faithful pals who make us laugh, that keep us company and love us no matter what. But a man’s best friend doesn’t necessarily have to be a dog; I believe that any animal can be considered to be a man’s best friend. On the other hand they are many animals who don’t have the same luck as other animals do. For those animals life is hard for them on the streets .Most animals on the streets often suffer from hunger, illness, tumors, skin infections and open sores.... [tags: Animals, Animal Shelter]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Pet, The Animals]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Helping The Homeless One subject that simply can not be ignored no matter where you find yourself in Anaheim. The homeless population in Anaheim is rapidly growing and there seems to be no end to this conundrum. Sadly, these poor individuals can be found anywhere some small amount of shelter is. Thus, you can constantly find them lingering around parks or on the sides of freeways waiting to beg the next passerby for enough money to make it through the day. In Anaheim they can usually found at the various parks we have around the city.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- Homelessness is everywhere, it is not a new trend and is a growing problem. Many people ask themselves should I help the homeless or not; it is easier to just ignore the problem than to give a helping hand. Every person needs help at one point or another in their life and homeless people should be no different. Assisting the homeless with healthcare, housing, and childcare are ways people are able to and should help the homeless. Many homeless people do not have access to healthcare and they go many years without seeing a doctor.... [tags: asisting with healthcare, housing and childcare]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- For several years, researchers group together to find the right direction in analyzing how homeless people can acquire a better framework in a direction of regaining their dignity and integrity. Researchers were able to create an assessment tools that eventually produce a meaningful result. This paper will discuss the different tools that can assess the homeless people in developing the necessary guide to overcome their present difficulties, mentally and physically. Assessment tools in different model but the tools selected for the homeless people are descriptive and appropriate.... [tags: research, homeless]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- A HELPING HAND FOR THE NEEDY An organisation that make movement of Catholic social justice work is Caritas. Caritas in Aotearoa, New Zealand is an organisation formed by the Catholic Bishops agency for three things which are justice, peace and development. They are apart of Caritas Internationalis. As a consequence of community growth, public support, education and emergence relief Caritas works for a world where poverty and justice does not exist. Caritas Aotearoa have taken social action by helping victims of the Cyclone Winston from Fiji and Tonga.... [tags: Pope John Paul II, Catholic Church]
1541 words (4.4 pages)
- Lending a Helping Hand There have always been organizations that provide help for the needy. Now the economy is going through a downward spiral giving these institutions a greater importance in helping the lives of those who need it. Miami County residents have seen firsthand that some people who live in this area really need the help. The statistical evidence shows that Miami County, Indiana is being affected by the economy. The average salary of a resident in Peru, Indiana ends up being $28,487.... [tags: Social Work ]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- A Helping Hand for College Approximately 60% of all students enrolled in higher education receive some type of financial assistance. Financial aid is provided to students for many reasons. The primary reason is to increase the accessibility for families that are unable to afford the full cost of higher education. Scholarships, loans, and federal work studies are categories of financial aid given to help students further their education. A scholarship is a financial award given to students in recognition of achievement, such as academics or athletics.... [tags: Expository Classification Essays]
500 words (1.4 pages)