The subject of Hell is a subject that turns many people off to organized religion today. After all, who wants to spend their Sunday mornings listening to a preacher rant and rave about the “Hell fire and brimstone” of Hell or “burning in Hell” or if you don’t change your ways you will spend eternity in Hell. Most want to be entertained and walk out of church feeling all warm and fuzzy. Therefore, clergy mostly ignore the subject or gloss over it even though they believe Hell exists because of their extensive study of God’s word. After all, it is pretty horrible to think of someone being sent to Hell for eternity, but Hell is given more time in the Scriptures than Heaven. Hell is as difficult to describe as Heaven since none of us have been there or know anyone that has been there.
In our society, most of us don’t want to think about Hell. We want to believe that God is a loving God that forgives and shows mercy on sinners and saves them from an eternity in Hell. But in reality, Hell is real. None of us are exempt unless we have come to the Father through baptism and accepted Him as our Savior while agreeing to follow the path He has made for us and stay true to His word.
If you study the Bible, you will find that Hell is actually pretty complex but the study of Hell can be pretty fascinating. Most of the references from the Bible describe Hell as a pretty grim and miserable place that none of us would want to visit, let alone spend eternity in. All of us have our own preconceived notion as to what Hell may be like, but from Sunday School to modern day movies, we probably all think it is HOT….fiery….and pretty awful.
When I think of Hell I visualize it as a dark and fiery place. A place wher...
... middle of paper ...
...s allow us to think about things in different ways.
I find it fascinating that Hell is described as such a complex place with so many levels, circles, chambers and such. After researching the subject it is enough to make me reflect on my life and that in reality, Hell is a place of complete, unending separation from God. 2 Thessalonians 1:9. That is enough for me to strive harder to follow God’s word for my life. While we may not understand what Heaven is like, and we don’t know for sure what Hell is like, I’d rather take my chances with Heaven.
1.) Anderberg, Bengt Niklas. Dantes Inferno. Göteborg: Zinderman, 1961. Print
2.) Guys Life Application Study Bible: New Living Translation. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Pub., 2007. Print.
3.) "Hell Bible Versus." Bible Study Tools. Salem Web Network, n.d. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Chapter 4 - Blinders – Hell’s Comfort Zone SO . . . you think you know who God is. Well – most of us are DEAD wrong. Please prepare yourself to receive this disturbing but necessary material . . . So we can seek, knock, and find TRUTH. First of all Dear Brothers and Sisters of Earth – please dawn your healthy SKEPTICALS and lose that lovely, comfortable pair of Rose Colored Glasses of preconditioning and COGNITIVE DISSONANCE that shield you from truth. The system we live in has been specifically designed to condition us to work, think, and believe in certain ways that detract us from the absolute TRUTH.... [tags: Personality disorder]
1813 words (5.2 pages)
- You always hear people talking about whether Heaven and Hell is actually real. I’m sure everyone has their own opinion about the subject which they usually do. There are more reasons not to believe in heaven and hell than there are to actually believe in it, but I want to prove to everyone that they are misunderstanding heaven and hell. So to prove my point here are some resources that agree with me and have proof to back it up. According to Matthew Miller, Heaven is more of spiritual place rather than a physical one, but the nevertheless as real as the person standing next to you.... [tags: Matthew Miller, spiritual place, physical]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- The women walked into their grandmother’s cozy living room which seemed considerably smaller than it had been when she’d left it earlier. One huge man with long dark hair and a warm smile on his lush mouth, eyes which glowed with passion as he saw his love enter the room. Over beyond the fireplace another enormous man was deep in a conversation with her seanmhair. She noticed his broad shoulders and short dark hair, this man had his back to her as he continued talking. “Duncan, let me introduce you to my sister Adaira.” Adaira raised her head to face the man as he turned towards her and she looked into his deep sapphire-blue eyes.... [tags: Family, Sibling]
1308 words (3.7 pages)
- Would it ever end. The boys were horrified when Miss Hartick brought Shelly back into the locker room. She heard a few moans and whines from the boys. Shelly loved it. Each moan and groan reminded her that they belonged to her. They weren’t boys; they were just toys, toys waiting to be stripped naked. She had been there six times already, but they hated it as much as they hated it the first time. They just weren’t as surprised as before. Shelly grinned at them. If even one boy had smiled back as if he didn’t care, then it might have ruined her whole day.... [tags: 2007 singles, Debut albums, Figure It Out, Boy]
2116 words (6 pages)
- Why the Hell Are We Here Why the hell are we here. What an impossible question to answer, seeing as it is open to an extremely extensive magnitude of answers depending on who you ask. An individual’s sex, race, religion, and even their sexual orientation can issue their stance on what exactly their meaning of life is. Is it essentialism, a belief that things have a set of characteristics that make them what they are and are predetermined before your existence, or is it existentialism, a belief that there is no objective or absolute meaning to life, and that the meaning of a person’s life must be invented or chosen by said person in full awareness.... [tags: Meaning of life, Existentialism]
1889 words (5.4 pages)
- What was hell. Hell was a fiery pit of loneliness—never ending torment and pain. I never really believed that there was a better place after your heart stopped beating. There was no magical force that was going to make everything better in the world. All there was was now. The present. You can't believe in darkness without believing in light so I also never believed that there was an evil force to punish you for all eternity—that seemed a little steep. The only person that was going to hold you accountable for what you have done is yourself—your conchence.... [tags: personal narrative]
2029 words (5.8 pages)
- Suicide Will Condemn One to Hell Suicide is the only simple act that gives man absolute control of his life. Everyone from an early age contemplates and fantasizes with the idea of being able to end their life. Throughout time, this act has become more accepted, and easier to accomplish. Many people today believe there are reasons to justifiably end one’s own life. Though, through Christianity, it is found that not only is suicide wrong, but is the only simple act that will condemn one to hell.... [tags: essays research papers]
613 words (1.8 pages)
- Divorce - From Heaven to Hell According to recent statistics, there are more divorces now than ever before. At the rate things are going, the divorce rate may soon surpass the marriage rate. There are many reasons for such a high divorce rate, but one of the main ones is that people do not realize what they are getting themselves into when they marry. Couples do not realize that marriage is a job that must be worked at continuously in order for it to go well. Because many couples marry for the wrong reasons, a breakdown in communication results, which leads to a couple's growing apart.... [tags: Expository Cause Effect Essays]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- My birthday fell on the 21st of July, but it was only the 18th. My parents were out of town, so this had to be the weekend I threw a huge birthday bash. I made up flyers, 50 of them, and my neighbors didn’t seem to mind too much, so things seemed to be set. I took the 16th and 17th off of work so I could get anything of value safely locked away in secured rooms. I hoped that things would work out well and nothing would go wrong. I made sure that the flyers were only handed out to the people that I actually wanted there, in efforts to keep away the “trouble makers”.... [tags: essays research papers]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- Creative Writing: Inn From Hell It all started on a dark a stormy night just outside of the Paris city limits at about 11:00 P.M. when Doctor Bleed and his assistant checked into the old run down inn. You see the weather was so bad that they could not even make it all the way over to Spain so they had to stop. They walked in with thier clothes soaked from the rainfall, when they first walked in they realized that there was nobody at the desk to wait on them so they just took it upon themselves to get a room for the night.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
1073 words (3.1 pages)