According to National Center on Sleep Disorders Research (NCSDR), an estimated 70 million Americans suffer from sleep problems, in which 60 percent are chronic disorders. The NCSDR also estimates $15.9 billion to the national health care bill are correlated to sleep disorders, sleep deprivation, and generalized sleepiness. Consequently, this has increased the cost of lost work production, accidents connected to lack of sleep, and/or contribute to other health problems (National Center on Sleep Disorders Research, 2016).
Currently, HP 2020 has one objective specifically for EMC-3 it aimed to “decrease the proportion of children who have poor quality of sleep (Healthy People, 2016).” During the early childhood years, it is important that functions of language, cognitive, and motor and emotional regulation to merge into the middle childhood years. Key components in this age group are the ability to adapt self-discipline, eating and sleep habits, health literacy, conflict neg...
... middle of paper ...
...e websites are currently funded by the Administration for Children and Families (ACF), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and continue to support the new recommendations and set guideline to promote well-being (New Hampshire Comprehensive Cancer Collaboration, 2015).
Finally, nurses must remain firm in upholding the HP 2020 objectives, creating a lasting sleep routine foundation, so that EMC have the ability to perform better in academics, recreational activities, opt for healthy food choices, and have better control over their own mental health when an event occurs. Ultimately, nightly sleep shortages create a profound and lasting cascade of events that are easily be prevented. An overwhelming amount of data was shown that forming healthy sleep hygiene habits renew EMC to function at their prime capacity and surpass the clutches of a sleep deprived society.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Having reviewed the Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators: Progress Update, the leading health indicator (LHI) elected is knowledge of serostatus among HIV-positive persons. Three key elements are contributing to the transmission of HIV. First, high-risk sexual behaviors (unsafe sex), next, persons at high risk are not getting tested, and finally, non-disclosure of HIV-positive status to sexual partners. The latter ties in with knowledge of serostatus among HIV-positive persons. Admittedly, knowing your status is vital, but to some degree that knowledge is self-serving when a person(s) abstains from sharing this information with sexual partners.... [tags: HIV, AIDS, Safe sex, HIV/AIDS]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 is a movement in America which was started in 1979 and provides 10 year national objectives based on science for promoting health and preventing diseases. It sets and monitors health objectives and tries to influence individuals to make informed health decisions. With such kind of objectives, smoking becomes a big health concern to Healthy People 2020. Smoking affects national health and causes health disparities. Smoking has been associated with a number of health complications such as cancer and heart diseases.... [tags: Health & Wellness, informative, expository]
1871 words (5.3 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 is a program for the promotion of health and the prevention of diseases, launched by the Department of Health and Human Services in December 2010. According to healthypeople.gov, this program has four overarching goals which are first to achieve healthy, longer lives free of preventable diseases, injuries, and premature deaths; to achieve health fairness, eliminate differences, and improve all groups’ health; also to produce social and physical environments that encourage good health; and last but not least to promote life’s quality, healthy development, and healthy behaviors through all life stages.... [tags: health, disease, fairness, longer, environment]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 and the Faith Communities The Healthy People 2020 (Healthy People 2020, 2014) is a nationwide program created by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to achieve objectives for promoting health and preventing diseases. Faith based communities may benefit tremendously in including these objectives in program planning. The main goal is for the American people to have long, healthy lives. The Healthy People 2020 program provides measurable objectives that can be applied down to the local level such as in faith based communities.... [tags: Health care, Health, Nursing, Medicine]
716 words (2 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 is a program developed by the government that was launched November 2010. It was designed to improve peoples’ health nationwide, over the course of the next ten years. The three main goals of Healthy People 2020 are: for Americans to lead healthier lives, eliminate healthcare disparities, and to provide preventative health services to everybody. To successfully live healthier lives, individuals should be aware of personal existing diseases/illnesses, and treat health issues appropriately by medication, frequent lab work, and follow up appointments with doctors.... [tags: prevention, compliance, care]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- Access to Nursing and Health Care Services has been designated as one of the top twelve leading health indicators by Healthy People 2020. Healthy People 2020 is a set of objectives put forth by the Department of Health and Human Services with the goal of creating a society in which all people live long, healthy lives. The leading health indicators of Healthy People 2020 are considered the highest priority issues that need to be addressed in order to improve national health (“Healthy People 2020” 2010).... [tags: Health care, Obesity, Health care provider]
1762 words (5 pages)
- As part of the Healthy People 2020 initiative, a national goal has been set to improve the health and well-being of women, infants, children, and families. This is an important public health movement considering their well-being determines the health of the next generation and can help predict future public health challenges for families, communities, and the health care system. Since there are many social and physical determinants of maternal, infant, and child health, recent efforts have been focused on addressing disparities by employing a “life course” perspective to health promotion and disease prevention.... [tags: Obstetrics, Childbirth, Pregnancy, Infant]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 Healthy People 2020 was launched on December 2, 2010 by the government of the United States with a set of ambitious, yet achievable, 10-year agenda for improving the Nation’s health. Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations. It is a science-based, 10-year national objective for improving the health of all Americans. For 3 decades, Healthy People has established benchmarks and monitored progress over time in order to encourage collaborations across communities and sectors , empower individuals toward making informed health decisions and to measure the impact of prevention activities.... [tags: 10 year government agenda]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- In 2004 like most expectant mothers, I was excited and nervous as to what the future held for my family. Would my baby girl healthy or would she be born like me with a congenital heart defect. As an adult living with such a chronic disease, I knew what that entailed; a lifetime faced with numerous hospital visits, surgeries and procedures. Thankfully she was healthy and strong, but many mothers are not as fortunate. Congenital heart defects or diseases (CHD) are defined as “conditions that are present at birth and can affect the structure of a baby’s heart and the way it works (“Mortality From,” 2011).” These defects range from mild to severe and impact the infant’s blood flow through hear... [tags: maternal, infant and child health ]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 on Children and Adolescent Healthy People 2020 list of topics and indicators demonstrates the country’s commitment to address on an on-going basis the health of the nation. Even before a child is born, to the different stages of growth and development, the health promotion of all individuals remains the focus of the program since 2000. Thirteen new topics were added to the list of topics, two of which target Early/Middle childhood and Adolescent Health. During the early and middle childhood, the experiences of the child go beyond the confines of the home.... [tags: Adolescence, Childhood, Child, Human development]
741 words (2.1 pages)