Healthy People 2020 was launched on December 2, 2010 by the government of the United States with a set of ambitious, yet achievable, 10-year agenda for improving the Nation’s health. Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations. It is a science-based, 10-year national objective for improving the health of all Americans. For 3 decades, Healthy People has established benchmarks and monitored progress over time in order to encourage collaborations across communities and sectors , empower individuals toward making informed health decisions and to measure the impact of prevention activities. The vision of healthy people 2020 is to have a society in which all people live long healthy lives. (healthy people.gov)
The mission of this program is to strive to identify nationwide health improvement priorities. To increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of health, disease, and disability and the opportunities for progress it also provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, State, and local levels. And also seeks to engages multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge. Healthy people 2020also engages in identifying critical research, evaluation, and data collection needs of our society to achieve the set goals (healthy people.gov)
The vision and mission of this program is to promote health and wellbeing to all Americans while reducing the health care cost and increasing the life expectancy of all individuals. The mission reaches far beyond just encouraging exercising for thirty minutes...
... middle of paper ...
...orking together the common goals set by their program will be achieved. Nurses will continue to play major roles in improving the lifestyle of society which will help the government to achieve these goals. The nurse can also help the government in having a positive attitude towards older adults, educating other nurses of the interesting field of geriatrics ad promoting the various opportunities that are associated with the rewarding yet challenging field of geriatrics.
Kydd, A., Touhy, T., Newman, D., Fagerberg, I., & Engstrom, G. (2014). Attitudes towards caring for older people in Scotland, Sweden and the United States. Nursing Older People,26(2),
WWW.healthypeople.gov Healthy People 2020
Retrieved on April 2,2014
Wold, G. (2012) Basic Geriatric Nursing St Louis Missouri Elsevier Mosby
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Healthy People 2020 is a program developed by the government that was launched November 2010. It was designed to improve peoples’ health nationwide, over the course of the next ten years. The three main goals of Healthy People 2020 are: for Americans to lead healthier lives, eliminate healthcare disparities, and to provide preventative health services to everybody. To successfully live healthier lives, individuals should be aware of personal existing diseases/illnesses, and treat health issues appropriately by medication, frequent lab work, and follow up appointments with doctors.... [tags: prevention, compliance, care]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- As Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) draws to the conclusion of its decade, one of the newest issues has been established based on the lack of Americans receiving adequate sleep, as well as causing a major disruption in their ability to function effectively. Unfortunately, about 25 percent report having problems either staying asleep or not getting adequate sleep to function properly the next day. A new target group has been brought into the forefront by HP2020 includes Early and Middle Childhood (EMC).... [tags: Sleep, Sleep deprivation, Sleep disorder]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 is a program for the promotion of health and the prevention of diseases, launched by the Department of Health and Human Services in December 2010. According to healthypeople.gov, this program has four overarching goals which are first to achieve healthy, longer lives free of preventable diseases, injuries, and premature deaths; to achieve health fairness, eliminate differences, and improve all groups’ health; also to produce social and physical environments that encourage good health; and last but not least to promote life’s quality, healthy development, and healthy behaviors through all life stages.... [tags: health, disease, fairness, longer, environment]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 and the Faith Communities The Healthy People 2020 (Healthy People 2020, 2014) is a nationwide program created by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to achieve objectives for promoting health and preventing diseases. Faith based communities may benefit tremendously in including these objectives in program planning. The main goal is for the American people to have long, healthy lives. The Healthy People 2020 program provides measurable objectives that can be applied down to the local level such as in faith based communities.... [tags: Health care, Health, Nursing, Medicine]
716 words (2 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 Healthy People 2020 was launched on December 2, 2010 by the government of the United States with a set of ambitious, yet achievable, 10-year agenda for improving the Nation’s health. Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations. It is a science-based, 10-year national objective for improving the health of all Americans. For 3 decades, Healthy People has established benchmarks and monitored progress over time in order to encourage collaborations across communities and sectors , empower individuals toward making informed health decisions and to measure the impact of prevention activities.... [tags: 10 year government agenda]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- Healthy People 2020 on Children and Adolescent Healthy People 2020 list of topics and indicators demonstrates the country’s commitment to address on an on-going basis the health of the nation. Even before a child is born, to the different stages of growth and development, the health promotion of all individuals remains the focus of the program since 2000. Thirteen new topics were added to the list of topics, two of which target Early/Middle childhood and Adolescent Health. During the early and middle childhood, the experiences of the child go beyond the confines of the home.... [tags: Adolescence, Childhood, Child, Human development]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- As part of the Healthy People 2020 initiative, a national goal has been set to improve the health and well-being of women, infants, children, and families. This is an important public health movement considering their well-being determines the health of the next generation and can help predict future public health challenges for families, communities, and the health care system. Since there are many social and physical determinants of maternal, infant, and child health, recent efforts have been focused on addressing disparities by employing a “life course” perspective to health promotion and disease prevention.... [tags: Obstetrics, Childbirth, Pregnancy, Infant]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- Access to Nursing and Health Care Services has been designated as one of the top twelve leading health indicators by Healthy People 2020. Healthy People 2020 is a set of objectives put forth by the Department of Health and Human Services with the goal of creating a society in which all people live long, healthy lives. The leading health indicators of Healthy People 2020 are considered the highest priority issues that need to be addressed in order to improve national health (“Healthy People 2020” 2010).... [tags: Health care, Obesity, Health care provider]
1762 words (5 pages)
- In 2004 like most expectant mothers, I was excited and nervous as to what the future held for my family. Would my baby girl healthy or would she be born like me with a congenital heart defect. As an adult living with such a chronic disease, I knew what that entailed; a lifetime faced with numerous hospital visits, surgeries and procedures. Thankfully she was healthy and strong, but many mothers are not as fortunate. Congenital heart defects or diseases (CHD) are defined as “conditions that are present at birth and can affect the structure of a baby’s heart and the way it works (“Mortality From,” 2011).” These defects range from mild to severe and impact the infant’s blood flow through hear... [tags: maternal, infant and child health ]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Having a relationship with a person of their interest, allows the couple to form a bond between them. When the bond between them is strong, they may come to the decision of taking their relationship to the next level, which is sex. During sex, the person and their partner engage is sexual behavior. In the heat of the moment, the two’s minds are in complete ecstasy, disregarding what is going on. During the mince of ecstasy, even the littlest things can be forgotten like a condom. After everything has toned down and ejaculation as occurred, not only has the person engaged in unprotected sex, they have also exposed themselves to sexually transmitted diseases.... [tags: STD prevention programs]
1942 words (5.5 pages)