Video game playing is believed to have negative effects on health among young adults and has become an increasing interest among researchers. Behaviors such as aggression, obesity, delinquency and poor school performance have been associated with video game playing . Many effects of video game playing remain stable into adulthood. One survey reported that many video game players (about twenty-five percent) have sacrificed a hobby or interest and about twenty percent claimed it has taken away from socialization with friends, family or a spouse and also sleep! Research thus far is informative but fails to show any sort of connection between physical and/or mental health and video games.
In short the objective of this study was to differentiate between adult video game players and non-players based on personal and environmental factors. It was hypothesized that adults who play video games would portray poorer perceptions of health, higher body mass index, and that the results would vary by gender as well. In the study the video game players and the non-video game players as well as male and female players and non-players were the independent variable manipulated by the researcher. The determinants such as depression, psychoticism or body mass index are the dependent variable or what was observed and measured after the administration of the independent variable.
The study was a survey with 562 participates aged 19-90. They were asked to answer questions based on their game usage and views. The results of the study show that video game players report more depression, and greater psychoticism than the non-players and have higher body mass index and lower health statu...
... middle of paper ...
...he study found that female players reported greater depression and lower health status than female non-players. The study also claims that females play video games for “self medication,” therefore, its more believable that the females who reported depression were playing video games to “self medicate” rather than video games being the cause of their depression.
The study provided it’s purpose in giving researchers more insight on the topic and giving them probable cause to move on to more in depth studies on the issue. The study only proved a correlation between video game players and health problems, though, the MSNBC article took this as a direct cause. Video game playing and health problems could possibly be associated, not because video games cause health problems, but because health problems, such as social anxiety disorder, cause people to play video games.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the 20th century, one of the leading services today is the mass media and specially appearing of the internet. The advent of the internet has had a strong influence on the life and spirit of student learning in dynamic environments and busy life today. Using the internet to meet the learning needs and research are indispensable for today's students. However, apart from the surface to meet the practical needs for academic life and work, many students came to the purpose of entertainment from the internet and abuse it almost all of the time.... [tags: mass media, online players, internet]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- Obesity is a condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to an extent that may have a negative effect on health. Obesity increases the likelihood of severe diseases which includes type2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, Dyslipidemia (diseases caused by increased amount of cholesterol and fat in the blood), Health failure, coronary heart diseases, Osteoarthritis, cancers and many others . Obesity has become endemic and critical health problem worldwide in both adults and children. According to WHO report in 2008, the fifth leading risk of global deaths are overweight and obesity.... [tags: obesity, sports medicine,diabetes]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- Video games are probably the most asked for present when a child sits on Santa Claus’ lap at Christmas time. They are, in all probability, what kids ask for when they make a wish while blowing out the candles on their birthday cake. The latest installment in the Call of Duty video game franchise, Modern Warfare 3, reached record sales of $775,000,000 in five days (Tito). At sixty dollars each, that means that this game is present in approximately 12,750,000 homes worldwide. Although the gaming industry is a lucrative one, it can also have adverse effects on children and adolescents.... [tags: Gaming ]
1692 words (4.8 pages)
- In the United States as in other developed nations, the level of obesity goes up every year. Obesity is a great issue as it affects individuals, society, and the government itself. In every kind of people, the number of obese increases everyday which increase the risks of getting obesity related diseases. Based on research done by Elissa and Steele, the number of young obese people has doubled in past two decades. (12) This is not surprising because as the United States industry food aggressively markets high-fat, high-sugar, super-sized food.... [tags: body, fat accumulation, weight]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- My issue over the concern of athletes have been struggling with the usage of steroids has widely spread among athletes and others; not only do steroids give an athlete a hard times but it’s also an unfair advantage to the other athletes and what they’ve accomplish. “Besides making muscles bigger, anabolic steroids may help athletes recover from a hard workout more quickly by reducing the amount of muscle damage during the session” (“Steroids in Sports”,2005). Now a days steroids are everywhere as an athlete.... [tags: Performance-enhancing Drugs]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- Violent video games are a source of entertainment for young people today. However, some people view violent video games as a dangerous influence in society. Violent video games are not all bad and should be embraced, because of holistic benefits and shaping the world of tomorrow as well as understanding why young people play. Playing video games may actually improve one’s health. Anxiety is a fear that can affect a player’s state of wellness. According to The American Pain Society, In 2010, video games with emphasis on virtual reality have been effective in lowering anxiety or pain caused by medical procedures or incurable sickness ( Guerini).... [tags: Pro Video Game Violence]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Alcohol; it’s something Americans enjoy, whether it is at a party, before meals, during the football game, with our buddies, so on and so forth. Alcohol has been a part of human civilization for hundreds of thousands of years and is linked but not limited to, pleasure, and sociability in many people’s minds. Up until 1984 the legal age for people to drink was eighteen, that age was then raised up to twenty-one in order to reduce the death rate of many teenagers who were dying because of alcohol related problems.... [tags: Alcohol ]
2632 words (7.5 pages)
- Introduction The playing of video games is often reported as a cause of negative behavior in children and young adults. When these video games are violent, the discussion of their negative impact becomes more serious. On the contrary, reports also exist that connect video game playing to positive achievement and worthwhile social skills. Studies of the connection between playing video games and their effects indicate a relationship between game play and “social interaction, achievement, immersion, emotional instability, and aggression” (Kneer).... [tags: sociological/behavioral analysis]
1808 words (5.2 pages)
- The Effects of Video Games on Children Technology today has progressed rapidly from generation to generation. Children and young adults are both into video games and the latest gadgets out there. Video games have been available to customers for the last 30 years. They are a unique way to entertain individuals because they encourage players to become a part of the game's script. Victor Strasburger an author of “Children, Adolescents, and the media” stated “The rising popularity of video games has instigated a debate among parents, re searchers, video game producers, and policymakers concerning potential harmful effects of video games on children.” Currently, in The Bahamas you can normally se... [tags: game, learn, attention, violence, development]
1299 words (3.7 pages)
- Electronic Arts and the Global Video Game Industry Demographic trends Gaming has become an important part of growing up for people who were born in the last 25 years. Approximately 3.9 - 4.7% of total world population (250 to 300 million people) is ¡§very active¡¨ or a ¡§frequent¡¨ player of video games or at least owns the necessary equipment. This target group spends five or more hours a week playing video games. The United States is the largest video game market in the world with about 50% of the US population (145 Million people) spending 6.5 hours a week on computers and video games.... [tags: Video Games Computer Gaming Essays]
2078 words (5.9 pages)