One specific obstacle I have faced was having bad grades for not knowing English. For me, learning a new language has not been as simple as it seems and is harder because I do not have relatives around here who can help me practice to improve. Having entered into this country was a very good thing because there are many opportunities, but at the beginning I recognized that it is very difficult to adapt since the language and the customs are different. Learning a new language brought me many challenges; one of them were bad grades in school because I did know English. I remember that the first time I received a report of my grades by mail. I cried because I had an F, and I did not like that because I always had good grades. When the report came, I felt terrible because I had never had a bad grade in my life. That day, I was thinking how, before the challenge happened, my teachers that I had in Mexico congratulated me for my excellent grades. Also, when my dad dropped me off in high school the principal told him what was the reason for his decision since I was a great student in the PEZ (Preparatoria Emiliano Zapata). As I mentioned earlier, the obstacle that led me to have bad grades was the language. The challenge was presented only because in classes I did not understand anything that the teachers were explaining and because I really did not know how to complete my assignments. What also affected my grades were the exams for the simple reason of not understanding anything. Because of this, many areas in my life were negatively affected emotionally, physically and academically. Emotionally I was affected because I did not like being frustrated and considered as a "dumb." Physically it was a challenge because it was an imp...
... middle of paper ...
...ure. The areas I feel I benefited were my self-esteem, mastering self-management, and developing emotional intelligence. I think this were the areas that helped me the most because I feel more secure about myself. My self-esteem increase a lot because now I am more comfortable with myself. With mastering self-management, I am recording my time in a monthly calendar to do what I have to do on time. Developing Emotional Intelligence was the one that helped me more because now I can control my emotions better, and I enjoy more my life. My beliefs about myself change because now I see things in a positive ways and I know that everything in this life is possible with effort, but for that I do not have to give up.
Downing, skip. (2015). On Course: strategies for creating success in college and in life. Boston, MA. Cengage
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pro English as A Global Language At this very moment, you might be sitting and munching on something. I’m also guessing that you know how to read and speak the English language. So, what are your thoughts about the English language. Is it nice, easy, or simply boring. Are you forced to speak English. These are easily answered questions. Though, the real question is, how would you feel about English becoming a global language. Many people already know it, so might as well make it a global language.... [tags: English language, Second language]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, I walked in to English not knowing what to expect. English 111 was boring at times but in many ways helpful. College Composition I main objective is to teach students the fundamentals of academic writing and critical thinking. Aside from learning how to academically write, recognizing grammatical errors, tone, and different styles such as MLA, APA, and CMS, are some other things learned in the course. This essay will be evaluating the book as a whole, self-reflections, essays, my strengths and weaknesses and my professor.... [tags: English 101 Essays]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Many words in the English language have changed drastically over time. Some of those words have changed from meaning one thing to something similar. While other words have gone from meaning one thing to its complete opposite. The study of the history of words and their origin is referred to as etymology. It can be very insightful to learn the etymology of words. Many of the words that we use on a day to day basis have changed majorly from their original meaning. This paper focuses in on one word the word “awful.” The word “awful” has made a one hundred eighty-degree shift changing the meaning from its original meaning to the way we use it today.... [tags: Linguistics, English language, Meaning of life]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- English & immigrants Just imagine a family of immigrants rushing into the hospital. The father holding his wounded child, Panic showing in their faces not knowing what do or where to go because they are having trouble reading. A doctor asks them “what happen?” but they are stuck, can’t communicate and time is being wasted. Learning English isn 't only a great ideal immigration for a perfect experience, it ought to be a requirement. This is not to punish workers from going to the United States in the event that they haven 't had or can 't bear the cost of English lessons.... [tags: United States, English language, European Union]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- Internet is bad for Society Technology has advance so much since the old days. We see technology everywhere but one major thing that has change since back then into now has been the internet usage. Believe it or not internet is being used everywhere. First, it was used in desktops now is on laptops, cellphones, and tablets and even on TV and Video games. Internet, is very bad for society but three major reasons why is bad is due to many deaths, creating health issues, and bullying. First, the internet has put many lives in danger from kids, to adults.... [tags: Bullying, Internet, English-language films]
714 words (2 pages)
- Language is a part of culture and it’s the way we communicate with each other; this is a sacred thing that should be respected across cultures. The ban on bilingual education is inherently racist. People that are for proposition 227 can give many valid sounding reasons that this bill is a good idea, but it is not. When you dig deeper into the facts, there is literally no reason that bilingual education is a bad thing. People are afraid of change and they fear that as Spanish becomes more widely used, English will somehow fade away.... [tags: Spanish language, Culture, Language]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- The English Bulldog: Christopher Reeve, a famous actor who played a beloved superhero, once said, “ A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt or not always knowing the answer, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” This summarizes the life of Winston S. Churchill a prominent figure during World War One and World War Two. Despite having failed in the public’s eyes during the invasion of the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, Churchill joined the fight in the trenches on the front lines during World War One, and after the war he warned the British of the Nazi regime and became prime minister of England during World War Two.... [tags: World War II, Adolf Hitler, World War I]
1189 words (3.4 pages)
- The issue analyzed by this paper is whether people should move in together before marriage. For example my boyfriend and I have talked about moving in together even though we aren’t married yet. I wonder this because I would like to move in with my boyfriend before marriage, however in my family living with your significant other before marriage is not acceptable. Bentham argues his general theory about calculating happiness he writes “nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure” (Bentham 70) This means that his theory for calculating happiness is based on how much pleasure is given by a particular act.... [tags: Happiness, Utilitarianism, Categorical imperative]
1038 words (3 pages)
- This semester entering English 102 I thought of myself as a bad writer with a lot to say and no idea how to coordinate it or express it. A big reason why I took English stretch composition was to strengthen my writing skills. I feel like I have a better idea of where to put my ideas but I really need help with the technical writing and how to do research papers correctly. My concerns over the semester are not the same as they were at the beginning, they have changed. One of my concerns was that I wouldn’t know how to organize a college essay, but that concern is gone now.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Critical thinking, Thought]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- English Immersion Programs Imagine a world where there is only one language, and people are able to converse with no problems. You wouldn’t need to be a linguist in order to understand another’s language, or culture. Now, think again about what that language should be. Most people would agree that English should become the next “Mother Tongue”, the language that everyone knows and everyone converses in worldwide. When people choose to speak using there own languages is when division among cultures is created, resulting in superiority complexes.... [tags: Language Education School Essays]
1217 words (3.5 pages)