Right from the get go Svejk begins by telling Mrs. Muller two stories after hearing that the Archduke Ferdinand had been assassinated. In his stories Svejk tells of a man who failed to pay his bar bill, had to be taken away in a drunks’ cart to sober up and eventually hangs himself in jail. In his second story is from when Svejk was in the army and a fellow infantryman shot his captain and destroyed an ink bottle which messed up several important documents. From these stories alone you can begin to see how Svejk stories will comment on what has happened in the actual story of Svejk. Svejk stories of the man who was drunk and the man who shot his captain provides comedic relief to the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand, and lessens the severity and intensity of what has happened. Svejk, being your standard Czech citizen, acts as if the death of Ferdinand is nothing, basically saying so what I have been through and seen far worse than one man just being shot. Svejk furthers this notion of “so what” by stating that he would have “bought a Browning for a job like that.” Of course ...
... middle of paper ...
...es, e.g., the death of a baby be thawed out dog, using a browning to kill many archdukes, and the way he was treated in solitary confinement during his tenure in the army. These stories as we have seen provide more than comedic relief; they are the voice of Hasek and his beliefs. All of Svejk’s stories highlight some actions or beliefs by humans, in which Hasek feels is either a downfall of those who govern or a way to protect one’s self from the governmental tyranny. Ultimately, The Good Soldier Svejk is not just a story of an imbecile named Svejk who tells completely absurd and hilarious stories, but rather a look into what Hasek truly believes. The Good Soldier Svejk is truly Hasek’s way of saying anarchy does not hate the government, but rather understands the problems with humans and how you can defend your rights against idiocracy we call governments.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Larry Kane, the author of Lennon Revealed, went on tour with the Beatles in thier early days and knew John Lennon until the day he died. Kane has had an Emmy Award-winning career and is the only American journalist to have traveled with the Beatles during their tour of North America in 1964 and 1965. He interviewed many of John’s closest friends and relatives to incorporate a variety of views. This biography is a bestseller because it provides first-hand accounts that really show the reader who John Lennon was.... [tags: Larry Kane Lennon Revealed]
960 words (2.7 pages)
- Soldier Field is an attraction for thousands throughout the state of Illinois. Soldier Field was first built in 1924 as a multipurpose sport arena dedicated to war veterans. At the time it was known as Municipal Grant Park Stadium. Municipal Grant Park Stadium was home to many events before the Chicago Bears came to play in 1971. A controversial renovation was proposed in 1986. The cost would be over 660 million dollars. If renovated, Soldier Field would be stripped of its National Landmark Status.... [tags: Soldier Field, Chicago, Bears, historic,]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- The adjustment from years on the frontlines of World War I to the mundane everyday life of a small Oklahoma town can be difficult. Ernest Hemingway’s character Harold Krebs, has a harder time adjusting to home life than most soldiers that had returned home. Krebs returned years after the war was over and was expected to conform back into societies expectations with little time to adapt back to a life not surrounded by war. Women take a prominent role in Krebs’s life and have strong influences on him.... [tags: war, ernest hemingway, soldier's home]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- I watch in horror as the soldier starts to drag the little boy towards the fire. I scream out to him, and he cries for me, his little hands reaching out. The fire engulfs the open doorway, and I see nothing but flames. Father screams at me, his voice roaring in my ear. “There’s nothing we can do. Ari. We have to leave!” He screams. “No. No!” I scream, watching the flames grow until the building collapses in a mix of fire and smoke. I rush up to the soldier and grab Pasco’s tunic. The man laughs, and I feel a sudden release as he lets go of the boy.... [tags: Soldier, English-language films, Walk This Way]
1782 words (5.1 pages)
- The novel is also used to emphasize the effects of the redeployment theme as it relates to soldier and civilian relations. Klay’s goal is to address the disconnect between civilians and military personnel and how war affects the interactions that soldiers have with civilians once they come home. While deployed war hardens soldiers ,this can be seen in the first short story “ Redeployment” the soldier discusses his disgust about having done horrendous things during war such as “shooting dogs” and seeing “the body parts in the locker and the retarded guy in the cage” while in the torture room (Klay 2).... [tags: Army, Soldier, Vietnam War, Vietnam veteran]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Not every Soldier is a Hero. Where are the heroes of today. If you watch the news or TV, surf current events on the web, or listen to the radio you are bombarded by opinion editorials, news stories and even advertising saying the one place you can surely find heroes, or be one yourself, is in the United States Military. These messages intensify every Veterans Day, Memorial Day or 4th of July as politicians, news agencies, businesses, magazines and television go on and on about our military heroes.... [tags: United States Army, Military, Army, Soldier]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- What is a soldier. What makes a good soldier. Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary defines a soldier as one who “engages in military service”, a “skilled warrior”, and a “militant leader or follower”. The characteristics of a soldier vary in the different military branches but ultimately a soldier is loyal to his or her country, willing to fight and die. In an article by B.R. Burg, the author states “The complete officer must be the complete man, they believed, and to measure up each had to possess an amalgam of qualities that included patriotism, courage, honor, loyalty, absolute honesty, and elevated standards of morality” (439).... [tags: Soldier in Vietnam War]
2585 words (7.4 pages)
- Downtown Los Angeles is one of the busiest commercial centers in the United States. However, the city holds two groups of people in different economic level-the homeless and the working class. Hector Tobar frequently includes the landscape of the setting in downtown Los Angeles in The Tattooed Soldier. The novel is about two immigrants from Guatemala who have moved to Los Angeles. The protagonist, Antonio, takes a revenge on the antagonist, Longoria because he murdered Antonio's wife and son when he was a Guatemalan soldier.... [tags: The Tattooed Soldier Essays]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- Theme Hemingway's “Soldier’s Home” As a young man coming back from the war, Krebs expected things to be the same when he got home and they were, except one. Sure the town looked older and all the girls had matured into beautiful women, Krebs had never expected that he would be the one to change. The horrific experiences of the first World War had alienated and removed those he had cared about, including his family, who stood naïve to the realities and consequences only those who live it first hand would comprehend.... [tags: Hemingway Soldier Home Essays]
570 words (1.6 pages)
- The United States has long been known for having a military presence that few would dare to challenge. The catalyst has not been in having billions in defense funds, it has not been in having huge weapons of mass destruction, it is the heart and spirit of the soldier. I am very proud to be a part of this long and proud tradition of upholding the ideals set forth in the U.S. Constitution. It is something that I would recommend to all willing and able college students. It instills a sense of pride and satisfaction that is matched by no other.... [tags: I Am Happy To Be A Soldier]
740 words (2.1 pages)