The products and services offered by Harley Davidson focus around the sales and support of their heavyweight motorcycles. Since 2009, Harley Davidson has made an effort to divest itself of product lines and other ventures which detract from their core competencies. The firm has made strides to differentiate itself as a custom solution for the avid motorcycle enthusiast.
The primary focus of Harley Davidson is comprised of cruiser and touring motorcycles. After the discontinuance of three 2011 models and the subsequent addition of two replacement models for 2012, Harley Davidson has 28 models of heavyweight motorcycles currently in production.
Touring motorcycles produced by Harley Davidson are larger motorcycles that are outfitted for longer driving excursions that typically possess some mode of cargo storage. Saddlebags, cargo compartments, windshields, and electronic accessories are commonly found accompaniments to this category of motorcycle. Specialized productions of this class of product are manufactured for emergency personnel and the Shrine. Three-wheeled motorcycles are included within this category, which possesses 9 models. Touring motorcycles, including the Road King and Electra Glide models, comprise 38.9% of 2010 sales which possess price points that range between $17,499 and $31,824 with a median price of $22,015. (Harley Davidson, Inc.)
Cruiser motorcycles are larger motorcycles that have a primary focus on customization by the owner. Harley Davidson currently produces 19 models of cruisers in the Sportster, Softail, Dyna, and V-Rod families. The addition of the Dark Custom line allows customers to further distinguish their selected cruiser from those in standar...
... middle of paper ...
...iscontinue Buell Sport Bikes." New York Times 15 October 2009.
Harley Davidson, Inc. 2012 New Harley Davidson Motorcyles. 2011. 15 September 2011
—. Complete Annual Report. 2010 Annual Report. Milwaukee: Harley Davidson, Inc., 2011.
—. Form 10-K. Form 10-K. Milwaukee: Harley Davidson, Inc., 2011.
Hoover's, Inc. "Harley Davidson, Inc. Profile." Company Profile. 2011.
Megafactories: Harley Davidson, Inc. National Geographic Channel. 2009.
MV Agusta, Inc. MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini. 2011. 17 September 2011
New York Times Company. Harley-Davidson, Inc. News. 2011. 22 September 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The strengths of the Harley Davidson company are many. Harley-Davidson owns one of the strongest brands in the world, which helps it attract and retain a loyal customer base. The company established a strong brand image with its motorcycles achieving iconic status and being ranked among the world’s most valuable brands. Harley-Davidson has been continuously ranked among the top 100 global brands in the world. The company holds 55.7% share in the US heavyweight market; and is ranked #1 or #2 in the heavyweight motorcycle market share in nine countries across Europe.... [tags: harley davidson, motorcycle market]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Harley-Davidson Inc. Celebrating their 100th anniversary next year, Harley-Davidson is a true American success story. From their modest beginnings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to one of the most recognized company names worldwide, they have been passionate about motorcycles. Harley offers an experience like none other with the one of a kind look, feel, and sound only available on a Harley. Besides their main business of building and selling motorcycles, they have began to offer financing and insurance through Harley-Davidson Financial Services, and they also offer a full line of accessories and apparel to make the Harley experience complete.... [tags: Business Management Harley Davidson Essays]
2888 words (8.3 pages)
- Harley Davidson Analysis We think it would be interesting to quote first Harley-Davidson's mission, in order to get a first approach of what is the purpose of the company from their point of view. The mission talks first about dreams, rather than motorcycles, which is what the public has in mind. This mission says: "We fulfill dreams through the experience of motorcycling, by providing to motorcyclists and to the general public an expanding line of motorcycles and branded products and services in selected market segments." We are going to see how their promotional strategy keeps the track of their mission statement, and how they try always to fulfill those dreams.... [tags: Business Analysis Harley Davidson]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- In 1903, William Harley (age 21), a draftsman, and his friend, Arthur R. Davidson, began Experimenting with ideas to design and build their own motorcycles. They were joined by Arthur's brothers, William, a machinist, and Walter, a skilled mechanic. The Harley- Davidson Motor Company started in a lOxl5-foot shed in the Davidson family's backyard in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This case was prepared by Professor Patricia A. Ryan of Colorado State. This case was edited for 5MBP and Cases in 5MBP-9th and 10th Edition.... [tags: Harley Davidson Motorcycle History]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Harley-Davidson Case Study Introduction of the Company In 1903 William Harley and Arthur Davidson produced the first Harley-Davidson motorcycle for sale to the public. The first year’s production was only three motorcycles with one dealer. In 1909, Harley-Davidson introduced the first. V-twin engine, which is still the company standard today. Harley-Davidson rapidly grew to the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world by early 1920s, with 2,000 dealers in 67 different countries. By the 1930s all of the American competition was gone.... [tags: essays research papers]
2992 words (8.5 pages)
- Harley Davidson This report examines the Harley-Davidson phenomenon. From near bankruptcy to double-digit growth every year, Harley-Davidson has something working for them. That something is called ”strategic planning and development.” With the growing global economy, companies are looking for ways to improve their market share. Many excellent firms have learned how to beat their competitors through the implementation of new management, marketing, and/or manufacturing techniques. Harley-Davidson is one of those excellent companies whom has challenged traditional ideas.... [tags: Business Management Essays]
4216 words (12 pages)
- 1. COMPANY OVERVIEW Harley Davidson Inc. was found in 1903 by William S. Harley and Davidson brothers- Walter and Arthur. Since then the company has produced the most recognized motorcycles in the world. The company has been named to Fortune’s list of “100 Best Companies to work for”. The company has also been ranked #3 in automotive quality behind Rolls-Royce and Mercedes Benz by Harris Interactive, a worldwide market research and consulting firm. Harley-Davidson, Inc. is the parent company for the group of companies namely Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Buell Motorcycle Company and Harley-Davidson Financial Services.... [tags: essays research papers]
2592 words (7.4 pages)
- Strategic Audit for Harley Davidson (1981) I. CURRENT SITUATION A. Current Performance Losing money, market share, and relevance in a changing industry with new foreign competitors. Stiff foreign competitors introducing new designs HD was too slow in development and unpredictable in reacting Outmoded technologies Poor quality and shoddy workmanship B. Strategic Posture I. Mission "We fulfill dreams through the experiences of motorcycling, by providing to motorcyclists and to the general public an expanding line of motorcycles and branded products and services in selected market segments (Harley-Davidson website, p.2)." 2.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
1972 words (5.6 pages)
- Information Technology The website of Harley Davidson gave us a new concept of Motorcycles. The extension of this website is exceptional. The virtual Customer Service in this website is notorious and extremely helpful. From other motorcycles websites this is one of the most professionals ones where the customer can get a flavor of the company from products up to their businesses profits and others...Harley Davidson publishes material related to all aspects of their motorcycles and provides to their own and the general public good information, expanding their products and other services with local information for countries around the world.... [tags: essays research papers]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Harley-Davidson is the largest market share holder of motorcycles over 750cc in the United States. After the expansion of our production and distribution capacity, we will be in the position to meet the increasing demand for our motorcycles and other products. Growth potential appears very good especially in the overseas market. Gaining a larger market share in these area may require a further increase in production and distribution capacities. We must plan for expansion now and continue to grow as a company.... [tags: essays research papers]
3147 words (9 pages)