Essay PreviewMore ↓
Offices require lots of different equipment, like computers, printers, routers, switches, and cables. You also need software to get your tasks done everyday, like productivity, communication, time management, and the specific type of software for the type of office. You need all these things to make your office run more smoothly and get your work done.
Computer hardware for an office consist of routers, switches, computers, servers and cables. Routers help computers share the internet line and depending on how many computers you have, depends on how many ports you will need (McKay, 2011). When you have lots of computers it might be a good idea to get more than one router to make sure all the computers work at its best (McKay, 2011)).
Another hardware you need is switches. You need these so you can “connect peripheral devices to computers on the network” according to McKay (2011). This is helpful so computers can use the same copier, printer, fax or scanner (McKay, 2011).
When you are getting hardware for your office you must have plenty of computers and also have a main computer server (McKay, 2011). “A server is the primary computer in the network, stores and transfers data to and from connected computers, and acts as a “clearing house” for all internet data traveling to and from the network” according to McKay (2011). It depends on how big the network is, if you need more than one server (McKay, 2011).
Another piece of equipment that you need for an office is cables. You need cables to connect all your equipment together (McKay, 2011). If you want your cables to last a long time then get the best cables (McKay, 2011).
There are many different types of software you need for an office. Software helps manage the office. The different software I’ll be talking about is productivity, communication, and time control softwares.
Productivity software is used to get tasks done at work and make work better(Fuller & Larson, 2011, p. 208). One of the types of productivity software is Word processing software, it is used to make different documents (Full & Larson, 2011, p. 208). Another type of productivity software is spreadsheet software. This software helps the officer stay organized and helps with any numerical information (Fuller & Larson, 2011, p. 214). “Database management systems create and manage a computerized database and produce reports from stored data” according to Fuller and Larson (2011, p.
How to Cite this Page
"The Hardware and Software of an Office." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As mentioned previously, it may be financially prudent to keep legacy systems in place, especially in ancillary departments. These applications are typically setup in an ASP format and are fashioned after a best-of-breed model. Typically specialized software vendors can offer more customization of the program, but integration costs will need to be assessed. Epic does facilitate this type of setup by means of their Bridges Interface Toolkit (Epic, 2015). Utilization of legacy systems will decrease the integration that is inherent in the Epic product, but will cost $5,000 to $25,000 to build, implement, and test an interface engine (CIO Consortium, 2011).... [tags: Electronic medical record, Medicine, Hospital]
1037 words (3 pages)
- New software – Microsoft Office 2016 Microsoft Office 2016 is a version of the Microsoft Office which success Office 2013. It includes the apps we are used to, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. New features in the Windows release include the ability to create, open, edit and save files in the cloud straight from the desktop. Microsoft Office 2016 is available on both Windows and MAC which remains the main attraction. There is a new search tool for commands available in word, PowerPoint, excel and Outlook called “Tell me”, more “Send As” options in Word and PowerPoint.... [tags: Microsoft, Operating system, Windows Vista]
2278 words (6.5 pages)
- Hardware and Software Angela and David need to buy a computer. They plan to use it to produce letters and newsletters, to create a website, to keep the club accounts, to record members of the club, and to detail stockists of tandems in their area. They have never bought a computer before and have around £1800 to spend on both hardware and software. Hardware Main Processing Unit The work they will be doing on the computer is not the most demanding for a computer, so the specification of it will not need to extremely high.... [tags: Papers]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- Bill, first I would like to take the time to tell you how very excited I am to have the opportunity to assist you with your business start up plan and providing you with the tools to help you achieve your business goals. I know we have a long way to go to get you where you want to be but I am looking forward to the journey we have together. Based on the criteria and outline you provided me with, I have come up with a plan and a budget destined for success. First off, we want to start with your hardware.... [tags: Microsoft Office, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Richard Stallman states that the freedom of the public in general is the primary argument to give away open software. He is convinced that a program is license free when users can run it as their wish, when users are free to improve it and to adapt it to their needs, and when users can distribute copies at will to benefit the entire community. Stallman signs over all his rights to the people. I think that Stallman’s approach should be adopted because the good for society should prevail over the benefit of only one entity.... [tags: Computer Software]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- 1. Computer hardware is the physical pieces of a computer. It’s the equipment that makes up the computer. 2. A piece of computer hardware is a mouse. A mouse is a pointer for your screen. Clicking the left button, right button, or scrolling with the wheel performs different actions on your screen/with your software. 3. The CPU is the central processing part of your computer; the processor performs the instructions given from programs. 4. The system unit is the outside case of your computer. It holds the CPU and other circuitry/components that run your computer.... [tags: Computer program, Computer, Computer software]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Paperless Law Offices The paperless law office is fast becoming the new normal. While it is almost paperless, it is probably the most secure, on a legal basis, of what a paperless law office can be. Paperless is different from a virtual office as there is still a brick and mortar place to work. However, it does help to cut down on the space and personnel needed and increase efficiency. Using the newest technology for a paperless office to store data or documents and communicating on a regular basis with clients, courts, and businesses is much easier.... [tags: Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, Law, Backup]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- A help desk is a resource that a majority of companies use today. Help desks are designed to provide users with information and assistance for technical support of hardware or software. Many help desks involve a support person working to assist customers to solve a problem directly or forward the problem to someone else. Often, services are provided by call centers or over the Internet. This paper will review three help desk software packages: Aegis Service Desk, which is local software, CRMdesk, which is remotely hosted, and, ReadyDesk which is completely web based. Local help desk software is software that requires local in... [tags: Technology Software]
1393 words (4 pages)
- Free Software - the Definition Free in Free Software is referring to freedom, not price. Having been used in this meaning since the 80s, the first documented complete definition appears to be the GNU's Bulletin, vol. 1 no. 6 , published January 1989. In particular, four freedoms define Free Software:  The freedom to run the program, for any purpose. Placing restrictions on the use of Free Software, such as time (``30 days trial period', ``license expires January 1st, 2004'), purpose (``permission granted for research and non-commercial use') or an arbitrary limitation of geographic area (``must not be used in country X') makes a program non-free.... [tags: Definition Free Software Essays]
2677 words (7.6 pages)
- SOFTWARE A set of instructions that directs a computer's hardware to perform a task is called a program, or software program. Software comprises the entire set of programs, procedures, and routines associated with the operation of a computer system. The two main types of software are system software and application software. System software controls a computer's internal functioning, chiefly through an operating system , and also controls such peripherals as monitors, printers, and storage devices.... [tags: Computer Technology Software]
1664 words (4.8 pages)
Communications Software is another type of software used in the office. E-mail is a popular way to communicate between people. With e-mail you can send and receive messages much faster and less costly (Fuller & Larson, 2011, p. 235). Another way to communicate is Instant messaging software. You can send messages right at that moment (Fuller & Larson, 2011).
Another type of software that is good to have at an office is attendance software. The reason it is good to have this type of software is so you don’t have to spend so much time figuring out all the hours (Easy Clocking Time and Attendance Advanced Software, 2013). Another good reason to have this software is so you don’t overpay your employees (Easy Clocking Time and Attendance Advanced Software, 2013). Having this type of software will make it less stressful for the person dealing with payroll.
Scheduling software is useful in offices to keep appointments in order. Things can get out of control in an office and it is better to schedule everybody to keep peace in the office. Even though there is a lot of overlap because patients or clients ask a lot of questions sometimes, it still is helpful to try to keep some order.
There are lots of equipment that you need to run an office and lots of different software that you can get for an office. Offices need all this equipment and software to make the work day go better. I couldn’t image an office without any of this equipment.
McKay, Matt. (February 8, 2011).What is Needed to Setup a Small Business Network? Received from http://www.ehow.com/info_7901139_needed-setup-small-business-network.html
Fuller, F., & Larson, B. (2011). Application Software. In Ch. Hurney & D. Mears (Eds.), Computers Understanding Technology (pp. 201-251). St. Paul, MN: Paradigm Publishing, Inc.
(2013). Easy Clocking Time & Attendance Advanced Software [computer software]. Received from http://www.easyclocking.com/software.html