1) Continetti’s article was published in September of 2014. His article discusses Hamas’s control over their media coverage, which is still a current issue today. The reason why there is so much coverage over the IDF attacking Palestinians, but scarce broadcastings when Hamas attacks Israel, is simply because Hamas will not allow it.
2) Matthew Continetti currently works as the editor in chief of the Washington Free Beacon. Prior to this, he was the opinion editor of the Weekly Standard. Continetti still holds a position at the weekly standard as contributing editor.
3) Continetti describes the image of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that is being portrayed to the world. The media outlets are constantly producing accounts of Israelis attacking Palestinian civilians, and all the publicized pictures of Gaza contain suffering Palestinians. Continetti explains that the reasoning behind this is Hamas controls the flow of information going in and out of its territory. The media is presenting the Israeli-Palestinian conflict without the correct context. Hamas was designated a terrorist group in 1997, and Israel is expected to treat them as equals. Continetti makes an excellent comparison, stating that if Israel must treat Hamas as equals, than certainly the United States must treat Iraq as an equal.
Continetti’s article thoroughly explains how the media allows the world to view Israel and Hamas as equals, while forgetting that Hamas is an actual terrorist group, whose goal is not peace, rather Hamas aims to annihilate the Jewish people.
Gross, Tom. “Dead Jews Aren’t News.” Spectator 22 Oct. 2005: 20. Academic OneF...
... middle of paper ...
... realistic goal, what makes a report objective, and illustrates the standards of ethical journalism. I found this area of his article to be helpful, because he is not baselessly attacking the media for producing dishonest reports against Israel. Rather, Lasson explains what ethical journalism is supposed to be, and how the media has not been following the aforementioned guidelines when reporting about Israel.
Lasson moves on to discuss the three main ways in which the media is biased when reporting events in Israel. When examining these three main categories of biased media, Lasson includes several factual examples of when the media acted biased towards Israel. Providing these examples, again, show that Lasson is not creating false accusation. The examples provided actually took place, and Lasson demonstrates how the media did not properly respond to these events.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us today.” ~ Professor Bruce Thornton, Cal State Fresno I seldom watch TV anymore, other than sporting events; I have no use for a woeful medium that so willfully damaged our beloved America and continues to do so with amoral programming and station to station disinformation called the network news.... [tags: Politics]
790 words (2.3 pages)
- The terror group Hamas which is located in the Gaza strip and has been terrorizing the country of Israel for years. The terror group has grown tired of the blockade that Israel has put on Gaza and they use that as a means to terrorize the country. In the summer of 2014 the conflict between Hamas and Israel intensified to a war in the Gaza strip. The first big headline between the two was early this summer when three Israeli teens were kidnapped and later killed by Hamas. Hamas then launched an attack directly on Israel by firing rockets into the country.... [tags: Israel, Terrorism, Hamas, Peace]
1756 words (5 pages)
- Terrorism in the Middle East has brought the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to the attention of the world. These terrorist groups use murder, bombs, threats, and other violent acts to get their way politically. Hamas, the organization that has replaced Fatah as the representative of the Palestinians, is a leading sponsor of terrorism. The Hamas are the leading reason there is not peace in the middle east as they strongly embrace terrorism. This group was created in 1978 and continues to expand its power today.... [tags: hamas, terrorism, middle east,]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Generation of Idiots It has been documented that Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” It is my assertion that technology does not make for a less intelligent people. Rather the use of technology allows people to obtain knowledge faster, be more efficient and better able to multi-task. In fact, technology is simply a tool that allows people to perform a variety of tasks and accomplish goals ranging from paying bills to designing and constructing an earthquake resistant buildings.... [tags: Technology, 21st century, Intelligence]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- HAMAS, an Arabic acronym meaning “Islamic Resistance Movement”, is the name of the socio-political organization currently in power over the Gaza Strip. For decades Jews & Muslims and Israelis & Palestinians, often one in the same, have fought for control over the region. Each have killed thousands of the other, destroyed infrastructures and used underhanded tactics to gain an advantage. Nations such as Japan, the European Union, the United States and (of course) Israel classify the group as terrorists, while nations such as Turkey, Russia and Switzerland do not.... [tags: Terrorism ]
1483 words (4.2 pages)
- The idea of one day achieving “peace in the middle east” has entertained the minds of world leaders for at least as long as the State of Israel has existed. However, as we transitioned into the 21st century, following the failures of U.S.-backed peace talks in the 1990s, the idea has become increasingly more far-fetched. The multi-sided conflict has seen all parties, to a degree, move further apart from their once relatively tame views, as the prejudices and perspectives that have plagued the region for decades are becoming gradually more entrenched.... [tags: Israel, West Bank, Gaza Strip, Second Intifada]
1474 words (4.2 pages)
- Does the starting point of becoming successful depends only on how wealthy you are and how your family supports you financially. Does the American Dream only accessible to people from upper class. The majority of people tends to believe that most of the time, successful people came from an upper class whose parents have a good educational background and stable income. Although this is agreeable, the truth is that lower income classes are more determined and hardworking when it comes to being successful and they too, can achieve the American Dream.... [tags: Social class, Working class, Social mobility]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Imagine what technology will do to relationships and social skills in just twenty years; if just now when you see families, friends and couple texting, on social media and talking on their phones and out of nowhere their phones run out of battery they make it seem like the world has just come to an end and they seem not to function properly like if there mind would only work when their phone is working. Now how frightening is that like when Albert Einstein said “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction the world will have a generation of idiots”.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Instant messaging]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Financial Planning and Management Summary ▲ Financial planning links the goals a business wants to achieve in the future and the resources it will need to achieve these goals. It is also concerned with evaluating the financial resource of a business. Strategic financial management is about setting the goals throughout the business and deciding what resources will be needed to achieve these goals. The main objective of financial management is to properly account for the income and expenditure of a business in order to maximise the value of that business to it’s owners.... [tags: Economic Financial Planning Strategy Summary]
1819 words (5.2 pages)
- News Summary and Reaction ASTRONOMY “A New Black Hole” “Scientific American Evidence that the heavens house a previously unknown type of black hole was reported by scientists yesterday. Data from NASA’s Chandra X-Ray Observatory revealed a hole was some 600 light-years from the center of the starburst galaxy M82. The brightness of the x-ray source indicates that this moon-size hole has the mass of at least 500 suns, making it intermediate between stellar black holes and the supermassive black holes found at the centers of galaxies.... [tags: Summary and Response]
568 words (1.6 pages)