Gun control and fewer guns in the right hands do not necessarily mean a safer country. Gun free zones have become magnets for mass shootings such as the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The Gun Free Zone Act of 1990 prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in certain institutions such as schools. It seems we have a fixation that no defense is a good defense and it simpl...
... middle of paper ...
Chastain, Mary. “15-Year old Boy Uses AR-15 To Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders.” Breitbart. N.p., 10 Jan 2013. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
DeMar, Gary. "England's Crime Rate Nearly Four Times Higher than United States." Political Outcast. N.p., 12 Jan. 2013. Web. 21 Nov.. 2013.
Edelman, Adam. "Georgia Mom Shoots Home Intruder in the Face Five times with a .38-caliber Revolver." NY Daily News. N.p., 7 Jan 2013. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
McLaughlin, Michael. "James Holmes Asked About Dysphoric Mania, Sent 'Bad News' Message Before Aurora Shooting." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 27 Aug. 2012. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.
Poe, Richard. The Seven Myths of Gun Control: Reclaiming the Truth about Guns, Crime, and the Second Amendment. Roseville, CA: Forum, 2001. Print.
Spitzer, Robert J. The Politics of Gun Control. Boulder [u.a.: Paradigm Publ., 2012. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gun control is a leading concern in America today. Recent shootings and murders today have people scared and pushing forward for gun control acts. In my opinion there should not be gun control acts on any guns besides automatic guns because, automatic guns should strictly be for military use only. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Many people push for gun control, but the effects of gun control are too severe. In this paper I claim to tell about the reasons why someone would push for gun control and the negative effects resulted by gun control.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Guns in America On April 20th 1999 in the small, suburban town of Littleton, Colorado, two high school seniors, Dylan Klebold, and Eric Harris, enacted an all out assault on Columbine High School during the middle of the day. The boys’ plan was to kill hundreds of their peers. With guns, knives and a multitude of bombs, the boys walked the hallways and killed. When the day was done twelve students, one teacher, and two murderers were dead-along with twenty-one more students injured. These boys used weapons that their parents had given the access to, an infamous TEC-9, a high-point carbine-and two sawed-off shotguns.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Columbine High School massacre]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- Its crazy how many people have different views on guns. One half of the world says that if we take away guns, it would solve all problems involving guns. The other half of the world says that if guns are taken away then we won’t have any protection. The real problem is that they are trying to take away guns from the innocent, knowing that criminals are criminals, they will still go against the law to get their hands on guns. The church and school shootings are a good example for this problem. Some people say that it’s not the guns that kill rather than the people who kill.... [tags: United States, Firearm]
1037 words (3 pages)
- ... When most of the time it is the people. In most of the big shootings the people behind them usually have some problem or have been psychologically damaged. One example is the Aurora movie theater shooting just a year ago. James Holmes, the shooter, showed signs before the shooting that he had problems. He was described as bipolar and a shy student. He showed signs that he was crazy in times before the shooting. In one incident he sent a text to a girl saying, “stay away from me because I’m bad news (Goode).” There were plenty of other incidents that should have hinted to people that this guy needs help.... [tags: gun legislation in the US, UK]
1393 words (4 pages)
- One of the principle things is that personal self-defense is the primary purpose of the Second Amendment. It Is very easy to say that guns make people crazy and also if one person has a gun it will provoke the person to kill people. But in fact many people believe that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”(Wayne LaPierre, 2012) Saying this, I want introduce The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution which protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms regardless of service in a militia.... [tags: rights, guns, violence]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- Guns, Good or Bad. Should guns be carried around by everyone. Maybe they should. I am not sure if I am with legalizing guns, but if I look at the situation in Chicago, it might be different. Chicago especially the west side is very dangerous and to be around that neighborhood has its risks. If you do need a gun to defend yourself, it’s less likely for you to get threatened. Not saying that you should kill people because you shouldn’t harm anyone, but to make sure that you are safe. Sometimes all you need is to show that you have the ability to defend yourself and other will leave you alone.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Cannon, Howitzer]
1384 words (4 pages)
- Guns, people say that guns are necessary. For example they say if for protection, for fun, or because they think having a gun is cool. But are they really necessary. Because according to the news and social media, people use guns for destruction, some good examples are shootings at schools, at public places and wars. And the worst of all is that students and common people that suffer from mental problems are the ones causing all those shootings, and they all get the guns from home or a store. It seems that now days it is easier to buy guns and ammo than buying alcohol, and that’s a fact 18 year olds can buy guns, but not alcohol.... [tags: Firearm, Crime, Gun politics]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Gun Control: Law Abiding Citizens Should be Permitted to Have Guns "Bleeding and weakened from the bullet wound in her chest, Susan Gonzalez aimed her husband's .22-caliber pistol, the one she hated, and emptied it into one of the robbers who had burst through the front door of her rural Jacksonville home"(Pinkham). This story shows that guns can be used to save lives. Americans have gun rights and privileges thanks to the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. It states, "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." The U.S.... [tags: Constituton Bill Rights Right To Bear Arms]
1268 words (3.6 pages)
- ... He did not speak for a minute ‘ tell them I’m very grateful.’ He said.” (pg. 114) We see how he had such an emotion change because of the trail. He knew more coming out of this, seeing much more of the truth and lies one might tell, I think he was hurt that people would do such thing we never saw this side of him before. This shows that being on to stand up for something that might be the right thing, isn’t just a piece of cake. Even though people where mean to Atticus, he still did what he thought was right.... [tags: truth, equality, racism, courage, barrier]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- People for Gun Control The recent events that has happened, such as the school shootings and all the violence seen on television, has without a doubt made many of us consider gun control as a possible solution to the violence that has spread across the nation. On the other hand there are other ways to reduce the violence besides using gun control to do that, which are teaching proper gun handling and making mandatory licensing to obtain a gun. With gun control laws the government is putting the average citizen in harms way by taking there gun away from them.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Example Essays]
1233 words (3.5 pages)