For this project, I decided to do something that helped to assist new (and experienced) guitar players learn new songs or concepts regarding the instrument. Originally, I wanted to create a program that was capable of recognizing guitar chords via a cable plugged into the microphone-in port of a computer as they were played in real time. After completing some preliminary research, I was only able to find one program that was similar to my initial idea. This particular program would take an MP3 then analyze the guitar playing and spit out which chords were being played in the song and when. I found that it worked marginal at best. Furthermore, upon researching how I would even start to program an application like this, I encountered some math that I was not very familiar with (like Fourier transforms).
I opted to scrap the chord recognition idea because there were simply too many unknowns involved in the project, including if it would be even possible at all without the need of special hardware. Still wanting to stick with the whole guitar theme, I chose to simply change what it was my program would do instead while staying with the global guitar theme. Instead of being able to detect a chord being played, Guitar Trainer will follow guitar tablature, showing the correct chord positioning and the correct strings that should be played throughout the entirety of the song.
In addition to this, the application will contain a search feature allowing the user to search YouTube for instructional videos regarding whichever song they are seeking assistance on. If an adequate video is found, the option will be given to watch the video inside the application so certain tricky sections, how to finger a pa...
... middle of paper ...
...om step 1
4. Opening an MP3 to play along with the tablature
5. Adding play, pause, stop, previous, and next buttons
6. Getting MIDI sounds to work during playback < 100%
7. Implementing YouTube video search and playback
8. Add a software tuner for the guitar via microphone input
9. Implementing lyrics lookup and display
In addition to learning a great deal about media controls and various web application APIs, I anticipate learning and practicing a lot with my guitar to test the functionality of the software. I look forward to gaining the knowledge to work with external sources, like YouTube, and bridge many aspects of Computer Science into one project, all while combining programming with another passion of mine: music. I anticipate it being a difficult but rewarding project and am eager to see the final design I come up with in the end.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Playing guitar can expand an individual’s possibilities. Whether the person is going into business or engineering it is always a good idea to have a back-up plan. The guitar can also serve as way to release stress. A standard guitar has up to six strings. Other guitars can have up to seven or twelve strings. Guitars with additional strings are commonly used in folk music. The most popular form of guitars is acoustic. Acoustic means that a guitar uses the air to create sound within its body, opposed to an electric guitar that uses electrical impulses like an amplifier.... [tags: Guitar, Electric guitar, Finger, Hand]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- Topic: The Guitar General purpose: To inform Specific purpose: To inform my audience about the history of guitars, the different style of guitars, and the different strings used on guitars. Thesis: The guitar has many I. Introduction A. Attention-getter: Imagine listening to your favorite genre of music. Whether it is either country, rock, or even hip hop, most likely, one of those songs will have a guitar in it. B. Reason to listen: The guitar is an instrument that can be heard in all types of music, it would be nice to know some information about the guitar.... [tags: Guitar, Electric guitar, Bass guitar]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- As many of you might have guessed, my chosen career is to be an Athletic Trainer. When I tell people I want to be an Athletic Trainer, they think I mean an actual trainer having to do with lifting weights, working out, and helping an athlete train. There are actually two types of Athletic Trainers. The first type is a personal trainer who is hired to help you train for an athletic event and get you in shape. That is not what I want to. I want to do something totally different than that. I want to be an actual Athletic Trainer who is on the sidelines of football and soccer games, or an other sport that needs one.... [tags: personal trainer, safety, injury]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- Many organizations, schools, and businesses hire an athletic trainer to help their employees and team members. Athletic training encompasses the prevention, diagnosis, and intervention of emergency, acute, and chronic medical conditions involving impairment, functional limitations, and disabilities(99). Athletic trainers can work in a large number of organizations. High schools hire them to help with their athletics and injuries that may occur. Colleges hire them for the same reason. Businesses hire them for their gyms in case there is an emergency.... [tags: High school, College, Athletic trainer]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- History and Influences of the Guitar My paper will be discussing the history, culture, and influences of guitar throughout the ages. This will be going back to the time of the lute and rebec as they were all early forms of string instruments related to the guitar family. This is going through the beginning of the instrument’s time, throughout the different time periods, elaborating on its significance in music. The guitar is a well-known instrument and staple in the music industry in all genres of music.... [tags: guitar like instruments]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- When i first picked up the guitar when i was younger i was very ambitious and wanted to learn all my favorite songs and master everything to know about it. I knew that if i kept focus and practiced everyday i would accomplish my goals. A very important part of playing any instrument is your hands and fingers and i would soon learn that without them it would be difficult if not impossible to play them. I was playing pick up basketball with my friends one day and i went for the ball and jammed my thumb into the ground.... [tags: guitar, musical instruments, education, ]
509 words (1.5 pages)
- Communication is an integral part of a client-trainer relationship. Successful fitness trainers not only help their clients achieve health and fitness goals, they are also supposed to possess great communication skills to be the person of trust and support most clients usually look for. There are a lot of fitness professionals who excel in exercise science and implementing training principles but lack skills that are essential in building great communication relationships with their clients. Although knowledge is power for all fitness trainers, establishing positive and productive relationships with the help of communication is crucial.... [tags: personal trainer, clients]
1064 words (3 pages)
- Shadowing a Certified Athletic Trainer For this project, the certified athletic trainer who I have shadowed for almost eight hours in just one day is Candace O'Bryan, currently the athletic trainer at Archbishop Hoban High School in Akron. Candace has worked at Hoban now entering her third year at the high school. She works alone as a trainer there but works along side one team doctor who is at every game, and the other one being a neurosurgeon but is just a parent helping out. Candace works through a clinic in downtown Akron next to the Spaghetti Warehouse.... [tags: Athletic Trainer Job Description]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- A guitar is an instrument made out of wood or other wood like materials. Many things could affect the instrument's qualities, such as the types of lacquer used or what kind of strings are used. The guitar amp is an instrument in itself just as a guitar, not all amps are created equally. An amplifier allows the guitarist to express his playing to the world. Some amplifiers are made using really simple vacuum tube circuits, and others are made from really complex solid state circuitry. Not any two similar guitars will sound alike, just as how any two similar people are not exactly identical.... [tags: physics guitar amplifier]
853 words (2.4 pages)
- The Guitar About five hundred years ago the guitar was invented. Since then, the guitar has played a crucial role in music. It serves as the heart for song, from Jazz, to Blues, to Heavy Metal. The guitar is perhaps the most important instrument in modern music. The two types of guitar most popular today, are the acoustic and electric guitar. The first guitar like instruments looked nothing like the guitars of today. These instruments were called lutes. Lutes later became vihuelas, which then evolved into the guitar in the fifteenth century.... [tags: Papers]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Elucidating the role of adhesion factors in circulating tumor cell clustering for breast cancer metastasis and venous thromboembolism
- Holocaust Survivor Testimonies: Time, Methodology and Memory
- Kia Soul Samba
- Literature For The Future
- Automatic Parallelization Approach Based on Java Virtual Machine
- Controlling the Mind - Doublethink