Essay PreviewMore ↓
Getting Rid of Spyware: A Guide to Spybot Search and Destroy
According to CloudEight Security Tips, Spyware and adware are the number one threat to computer users (“Say” 1). Computer users whose computer system or internet connection is slower than normal are a victim of this threat. According to Wikipedia, spyware is any piece of software that aids in gathering information about a person or organization without their knowledge (Spyware 1). They have also defined malware, a piece of software intended to do harm to a computer, as a classification of spyware. These types of software will unnecessarily load ads, websites you didn’t intend to visit, or collect information thus slowing down your computer system or internet connection. It’s time to search and destroy these little pieces of software off of your computer.
Spybot Search and Destroy (Spybot S&D) was created to disinfect an “infected” computer system. Spybot S&D software is a free software solution that detects spyware. It is simple to setup and features an easy to use interface that even the most inexperienced computer users will understand. Don’t be fooled by the simple interface however. Spybot S&D removes thousands trojan programs, cookies, adware, dialers, browser help objects, keyloggers. It can help you prevent spyware on your computer as well as download weekly updates so that you can keep up to date with the malicious users who are constantly releasing new threats.
This paper will guide you through the three major steps of using Spybot S&D. They are, getting started with the software, starting the scan, and interpreting the results and removing potential issues. Each step will be described in detail along with the necessary visual aids.
Getting Started: Downloading and Installing
Spybot S&D is able to support all three major browsers: Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and Opera. Spybot S& D works on the major windows operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows NT, and Windows 9.x. The license is totally free, no hidden fees either.
The procedure for downloading Spybot S&D is as follows:
1. Go to http://www.security.kolla.de www.security.kolla.de
2. Click Download under Home as shown in figure 1.
3. Click license to read the license. See figure 2.
4. Click on the first “download here” button as shown in figure 3. This will take you to a mirror selection page. In other words, a list of available download locations allows users to choose the web site from which they want to download Spybot S&D.
How to Cite this Page
"Guide to Spybot Search and Destroy." 123HelpMe.com. 22 Jan 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout this course many software packages have been discussed as far as their usefulness and application in a computer forensics environment. I have chosen to write about encryption, as well as anti-spyware software. Specifically I will discuss TrueCrypt and Spybot – Search and Destroy. TrueCrypt is a freely available disk encryption package. It is also open-source, which allows independent developers to legally change/modify and/or expand upon the software at their discretion, so long as all applicable terms and conditions of the TrueCrypt license are met.... [tags: Information Technology]
1247 words (3.6 pages)
- A Guide on Search Engines Hello and welcome. My name is Jane, and I'm reporting to you live from Hollywood. I am sporting a lovely plum-colored sequence dress compliments of Bergdorf, and the jewelry I am seen wearing are from Tiffany & Co. Well ladies and gentlemen, enough about my lovely attire. The moment we've all been waiting for has come. Finally, movie critics from around the United States have gathered to criticize or glorify the upcoming movie, Search Engines. With the success this movie is supposed to receive, sequels are already being talked about.... [tags: Technology Computers Internet Essays]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Student Survival Guide When starting a new course: The first resource I need to use is the course syllabus. The syllabus includes the course overview, and then the week by week assignments. Within in the weekly assignments are your materials needed for the week, and are usually in a word or pdf document. If you don't have the programs to read the downloads; you can download the programs to read the document's on you student web sight. My instructors contact information is also a valuable resource with in my course syllabus.... [tags: How To Guide]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- ... She discovers that the entire nation is struggling as gas prices skyrocket, and the country continues to dig for more oil and burn more coal adding to stress the earth is enduring. Meanwhile, summit leaders fail to reach an agreement on a plan to cut down greenhouse gasses and conserve energy. Despite all of this she continues to speak in a romantic literary style about life. She becomes an EMT to make a difference in the world around her. She tries to take charge of her life and attends a protest against the rising water prices in California, where she meets the man she will marry.... [tags: Oxygen, Earth, World, United States]
1403 words (4 pages)
- We live in a world that is fundamentally run by the internet. We use it every day, multiple times in a variety of ways. We use it to keep up to date with the latest news, to watch movies and shows, to listen to music, do research for our latest assignment and even to simply search the latest topic our mind is wandering off to. Google is there to help with all of that. Google is a search engine that was created in September of 1998 by two Ph.D. students at the University of Stanford (Google, 2014).... [tags: Google, Google search, Web search engine]
834 words (2.4 pages)
- Student Survival Guide for Distance Learning Education Introduction Learning can be a difficult task to anyone who wants to expand his or her knowledge. With the help of online schools, learning has stepped into a new environment that is growing rapidly. Secondary education is now possible for students who want to complete his or her degree online. This might not necessarily be the ideal education for some students but it is perfect for others. A student in an online school must learn to use his educational skills and tools to ensure that he or she receives the maximum benefits of college online.... [tags: Student Guide How To Distance Education]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- The Search I used to work for the F.B.I., in the Portland office. It was my childhood dream to be the one who gets the bad guy. My fiftieth birthday was in just three months. I had a wife and three children, still do, and the same job I'd had since my graduation from Quantico. We were living just outside Portland. My oldest son, John jr., was in his third year at Washington. The twins were high school seniors at this time and my pride and joy, daddy's little girls. Carolyn and I had celebrated our twenty- fifth anniversary, that's the silver one I think, the previous Thursday night.... [tags: Creative Writing Search and Rescue Essays]
4126 words (11.8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION: KEYWORD-BASED search has been the most popular search in today’s searching world. The result of Keyword based search is better than Google .On Google search engine user or searcher did not find relevant image result. This is because of two reasons. Queries are in general short and non-specific. Different users may have different intentions for the same query Searching for apple by a farmer has a different meaning from searching by a technical person .There is one solution to solve these problems is personalized search where user specific information is considered to distinguish between exact intentions of user queries and reranked the images.... [tags: google, non-personalized, search]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- A GUIDE TO NETWORK ANALYSIS Introduction The core technique available to Project Managers for planning and controlling their projects is Network Analysis. This short guide will provide a basic understanding of networking principles before applying them to the computer. Network Analysis or Critical Path Analysis (CPA) or the American ¡§Program, Evaluation and Review Technique¡¨ (PERT) is one of the classic methods of planning and controlling the progress of projects. Tasks or Activities Effective planning of projects requires careful thought and the application of logic.... [tags: Step by Step Guide Network Analysis How To]
1753 words (5 pages)
- Search Engines are specialized programs that facilitate the retrieval of data from the Internet, on a business related network or on a personal computer system. They allow users to ask for contents meeting certain criteria usually involving a certain word or phrase, then gives a list of articles that matches those words or phrases. There are number of different engines that can be used for different types of searches and can be narrowed for optimal results. Before the 1990¡¦s Search Engines were non existent.... [tags: Internet Google Search History Web]
1815 words (5.2 pages)
5. Click on download now link to begin the download. See figure 4.
6. Select save to disk and click ok. This dialog box allows you to specify where you want the file saved on your computer. See figure 5.
1. Double click on the Spybotsd13 icon to run the file. The installation of the Spybot S&D is easy. All the user has to do is run the file after it is downloaded in the desired location on the computer’s hard drive. Most of the time, the file will be named Spybotsd13.exe. See figure 6.
2. Choose English as the language and select ok. This dialog box (figure 7) allows the user to customize the installation and program based on the language the user feels most comfortable in. This guide however will continue to be in English.
3. Click next to continue. The installer will bring up the box labeled figure 8 in this document. It is just welcoming you to the wizard to install Spybot Search and Destroy. The license agreement will be the next window to show up as shown in figure 9.
4. Click “I accept the license agreement”. Then Click next to proceed. You will be prompted to select a location for the installation. If you want to change the location you may. Once the location you have selected is sufficient, click next to continue.
5. Choose a location to install the file. Click next to continue. In the next dialog box (figure 11) you can select whether you want a full or custom installation. Custom installation is only recommended for advanced users.
6. Choose full installation.
7. Click next to continue. The installation file will install the necessary files to your computer. After it has completed proceed to the next step.
8. Make sure that Run spybotSD.exe is checked in the next window (see figure 12).
9. Click next to run Spybot S&D. Spybot will now start and display the Spybot Wizard.
10. Fill in the checkbox that says “Do not show this message again” and click ok as displayed in figure 13 on the next page. This is some legal information telling you that Spybot will remove some programs that will it consider spyware but you might find useful. We will discuss how to choose what to remove and what not to remove later.
11. Click the create registry backup button (figure 14 on the next page). This allows Spybot to create a backup of critical computer files before it attempts to modify them. In case something goes wrong it is always good to have a backup. Once the backup has completed you may proceed
12. Click the next button.
13. Click the search for updates button (figure 15 on the next page). Once you click on search for updates, Spybot will contact the program creator’s server in order to download any updates to the spyware recognition rules or to the program. Once that has completed you may proceed.
14. Click on download all available updates(see figure 16 for an example). Spybot will now download all available updates. Once it has finished you have completed the wizard.
You have successfully downloaded and installed Spybot S & D. The next step will be to start the scan.
Starting the Scan
Now that you have completed the wizard, it is time to start scanning your computer.
1. Click on Search and Destroy button (figure 17) on the left toolbar to make sure you are at the main screen for Spybot S&D.
2. Click on the “Check for Problems” button (figure18). Scanning of your computer will now begin.
3. Verify that Spybot is searching your computer for spyware by looking at the bottom of the window. There will be a green bar there that will fill as the search continues. It will be completely filled when the search has completed
Nice job! You have now learned how to start a new scan. Once the scan has completed proceed to the “Interpreting the results” portion of this guide.
Interpreting the Results
Once the scan has completed you will see in the bottom left corner something similar to figure 19. This shows how many problems were found on your computer.
Above the number of problems found, you will see an actual list of spyware on your computer. The list will be similar to the one shown in figure 20.
Results in red are spyware (Tutorial 3). They will be harmless for you to delete. Results in green are tracking cookies(Tutorial 3). Some cookies are good and some are bad. An example of a good cookie would be one that keeps your shopping cart list at amazon.com active will you continue to shop through their site. Another example would be one that allows you to login to your email account automatically. An example of a bad cookie is one that is placed there by advertisement companies. They then track your movement on the internet by looking at which sites you have visited with their advertisements.
If you are in doubt about a certain file you can click on it and read the description. You are now ready to remove the files.
Removal of Spyware
1. Verify that the checkbox next to the problems you want removed is checked. If you don’t want something removed just remove the check mark. See figure 20 for an example.
2. Click on the “Fix selected problems” button (see figure 21) to remove the spyware you selected. The next dialog box (figure 22) will ask you to confirm that you want the selected problems removed.
3. Click “OK” to proceed. Spybot S&D will now remove the problems that you selected. Once it has removed the selected problems it will display another dialog box (Figure 23) informing you of the results. You will also notice that the problems you selected to be removed now have green checkmarks next to them as shown in figure 24.
4. If the dialog box informing you of how many problems the program has fixed is displayed then just click the “OK” button.
5. Occasionally if Spybot cannot delete a file it will ask that the program will be run upon startup. Make sure you save any open documents and click ok so that you computer can be restarted.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed, run, interpreted and removed any spyware that you have on your machine. Below are some helpful tips that you should keep in mind when running Spybot Search and Destroy.
1. Always update the recognition rules before you start a scan. The first time you ran the scan Spybot S & D did it for you. If you want to do it yourself just click on the update button on the left hand tool bar.
2. Read the description of a particular spyware file if you are unsure about removal.
3. Once you are done running the program, restart your computer and run it again so that you can verify that all spyware has been removed from you computer.
“Say No to Spyware”. CloudEight Security Tips. 10 December 2004
Spyware. Wikipedia. 10 December 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
Tutorial. Spybot Search and Destroy. 10 December 2004.