While Gregory Maguire grew up under unconventional circumstances, his life led him to many experiences that influence the writing of his greatest work. His mother had died in childbirth and, overcome with grief, his father sent Maguire and his 3 siblings to live with relatives. After only six months, Maguire’s aunt sent him to St. Catherine’s Infant Home, where they named him Gregory. Two years later, Maguire’s father remarried to Maguire’s mother’s best friend. It was just after this that the family reunited and, eventually, grew (Witchel). It is not truly known as to why Maguire chose to write children’s fantas...
... middle of paper ...
...05 May 2014.
"Gregory Maguire." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2014.
"Gregory Maguire â€” Harper Collins Publishers." Gregory Maguire â€” Harper Collins Publishers. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 May 2014.
Maguire, Gregory. Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the West : a novel. New York: ReganBooks, 1995. Print.
Macfarquhar, Neil. "Saddam Hussein, Defiant Dictator Who Ruled Iraq With Violence and Fear." The New York Times. The New York Times, 29 Dec. 2006. Web. 6 May 2014.
Witchel, Alex. "Mr. Wicked." The New York Times. The New York Times, 10 Mar. 2007. Web. 30 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the East is a fantasy book by Gregory Maguire. It follows the life of the Wicked Witch, the character from the Wizard of Oz, from her birth to her death, or her pseudo-death. It also explores the question the nature of good and evil. The main character is, of course, the Wicked Witch, Elphaba. She is born green, with really sharp teeth, and afraid of water. When she gets near water, she just gets really scared, and when she cries or a couple drops of water get on her it burns her.... [tags: Wicked, Gregory Maguire]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- In most fairytales, there is a character that stands out as a visionary; the one who defends happiness, and leads the way allowing others to find their destiny. This person usually has the will power to influence not only them self, but also has the ability to influence the person who seems to be the least likely to accept another’s view of the world, especially if they’re living in a world that is detached from everyone else's. In Gregory Maguire’s book, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, the visionary to see beyond her own sanity and look into the depths of another person’s chaos is Iris.... [tags: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- American society has many binaries, which it currently uses to subjugate people into standard categories like, for example, gender and sex. Even though, society might classify someone, as a man or woman, it does not necessarily mean that how that person’s appearance looks like on the outside, is the same as their inside genetic make-up. Sex is the biological composition of either a male or female. For example, females have XX chromosomes in their DNA; their reproduction system consists of an egg and a vagina, and they also have functional breasts.... [tags: Binaries, Western Society]
1168 words (3.3 pages)
- The classic children's stories have never been as nice and friendly as they have become. American novelist Gregory Maguire (born June 9, 1954) has taken several of the classic stories known today and re-imagined them with similar twists as the originals. Some of the twists seen in a couple of his novels come from the time he spent in London in the late 1990s during the Gulf War. During this time several London students kidnapped and killed a toddler. With this Maguire became interested in the nature of evil and whether someone can be born evil or if they are taught to be that way.... [tags: fantasy genre, racial injustice]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- In Gregory Maguire's novel, Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West happen before the novel by L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. In Baum’s novel of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, portrays the role of the Wicked Witch of the West being wicked. We have no background or personal preference to understand her life of the Wicked Witch of the West (as known as Elphaba). But in Maguire’s novel, Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, shows how Elphaba traits of a monster are similar to a typical monster that portrays in people's eye.... [tags: gregory maguire]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- In the last decade, water is one of the most mentioned topics in the world. Water is a limited source but the human water needs are unlimited. Clean water, in fact, decreases sharply year by year but people still use it unconsciously. How to use water efficiently in order to satisfy human water requirements is a difficult question to all of us. Faced with the problem, some people believe that industrial wastewater should be reused many times meanwhile other people doubt the safety of sewage recycling in production.... [tags: recycling, pollution, sewage]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Cameron Crowe's Film Jerry Maguire In his movie Jerry Maguire, director Cameron Crowe illustrates how failures and successes are all part of life and if you have love and are happy with your life then you will surely succeed. It is part of life to experience failure which propels one forward to take risks and make changes to find the answers on how to succeed in lives little games. Jerry Maguire is an inspiring movie based on this theme, demonstrating success and failure with business endeavors, love relationships, friendships and self realization.... [tags: Crowe Movie Film Jerry Maguire Essays]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- The past, the present and the future. Can they exists at the same time. Today I was driving one of my best friends to the airport, she stayed for one week in Miami; while I was crying saying goodbye at the airport, I remembered the good time we had in the last week and how fast it passed. Now we are in the present, saying goodbye. This is how we start seeing we don 't have three separated times. In our minds time is always mixed with: past, present and future. Like professor Phillip Zimbardo said on the psychology of time video: we can be oriented at the time we choose, some people tend to worry excessively about the future and all they do is work for it; some can be past oriented either in... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Allegorizations of the Active and Contemplative Lives in Philo, Origen, Augustine, and Gregory This paper examines the allegorical interpretations given to several Scriptural pairs as they relate to the idea of the active and contemplative lives in Philo, Origen, Augustine, and Gregory. As will be shown, Augustine combines elements found in the two previous writers to form his allegory of the two wives of Jacob as representative of the active and contemplative lives. In Philo, most of the essential elements of later Christian thought on the active and contemplative lives are already present.... [tags: Philo Origen Augustine Gregory]
2777 words (7.9 pages)
- Gregory of Tours’ Clovis' Conversion to Orthodox Christianity In The History of the Franks, Gregory of Tours portrayed Clovis as a leader who, although his conversion to Christianity appeared to be genuine, nonetheless, used his conversion to realize his political aspirations. By converting to Christianity, Clovis, according to Gregory of Tours’ narrative, was able to garner the support of Christian leaders such as Saint Remigius and, consequently, gain powerful political allies. Moreover, as a result of his conversion, Clovis became a king who was more attractive to orthodox Christians.... [tags: History Franks clovis Gregory Tours Essays]
2541 words (7.3 pages)