Some people will argue that in joining a sorority you are simply buying friendships, but that could not be more incorrect. Dues pay for insurance, badges or pins, ritual necessities, chapter operations, public relations, foundation, and other events. There are also fees for our national headquarters and NPC. NPC, or National Panhellenic Conference, is a collaborative organization of 26 international sororities. Nowhere in the billing statement is friendship listed. The friendships founded in my sorority are true and sincere. We have had sisters drive out in the rain at 2 am to bring a sister gas for her car, one sister drove a fellow new member all the way home to Maryland when her grandfather passed away and she was an emotional wreck, and we have had sisters drop everything and run to take a sister to the hospital because she had just had surgery on her knee and it gave out. These are not things one would do unless they cared. These friendships are ones that will last a lifetime. For example, I was sitting at Dina’s one day and a wom...
... middle of paper ...
... with any stereotype this is not accurate. My sorority is not anywhere near a “typical” sorority. We go out and have fun, but we are much more than that. Building strong friendships, developing women of character, and engaging in community service are areas in which my sorority excels and stands out as more than just parties and good times.
“Greek Facts.” Fraternity and Sorority Life. Copyright 2010. University of Connecticut. 1, April.
“Robbie Page Memorial.” Sigma; To Give Much is to Receive Much. Updated 2009. Winthrop University. 1, April. < http://www.birdnest.org/deltapi/philanthropy.html>
“Tri Sigma Today.” Sigma Sigma Sigma; Ever Forward. Updated 2008. Sigma Sigma Sigma National Headquarters. 31, March.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The Insider” is a brilliant suspenseful thriller that drives head deep in the issue associated with real life power struggle and corruption in both media and government. Al Pacino plays the cunning and loyal Lowell Bergman, the star producer of “60 MINUTES”, as he puts everything on the line for, not only the story of the century, but for the man that risked it all to give it, Jeffrey Wigand. The critically acclaimed film paints the realities of decision making in this country as issues boil down to the things that big shots care about most: money, power, and fame.... [tags: The Insider, Brown & Williamson, 60 Minutes]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- People make numerous decisions in a day, and each decision is an outcome of a selection made among multiple choice. In the process of making a decision, people will frequently question themselves: who am I and which identity would I consider best as a representation of myself. Ways people viewed themselves are the key factors that could affect their final decisions. The Insider, a critically acclaimed drama film, is based upon a true story, and provides examples to express the concepts for right-verse-right dilemma.... [tags: The Insider, 60 Minutes, Lowell Bergman, Choice]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- The story of Prometheus is I think one of the best stories in Greek mythology, I think Prometheus showed a lot of loyalty to man when he defied Zeus to bring fire to mankind. Without fire mankind, who had been enduring great hardships, such as freezing and starving, would not have survived much longer as the story goes. I think that when Prometheus decided to go against Zeus’ wish to not help mankind he must have known it would make Zeus mad and that he would be punished, this is why I think it is one of the most incredible things I have seen in Greek myth.... [tags: Greek mythology, Prometheus, Zeus, Hermes]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- The Insider, an award winning film directed by Michael Mann and starring Al Pacino and Russell Crowe, tells a story about a "whistle blower" that works for tobacco giant Brown & Williamson (B&H) teaming up with a CBS 60 Minutes producer/journalist. Working together they bring to light the fraud and health risks that the Tobacco industry knowingly commits on the general public. Based on a true story, Jeffrey Wigand, a senior scientist originally employed at B&H (played by Russell Crowe), and Lowell Bergman, a respected CBS 60 Minutes producer (played by Al Pacino), take on enormous personal and professional risks fighting their respective corporate employers to bring the truth to the world... [tags: The Insider, 60 Minutes, Tobacco, Lowell Bergman]
2075 words (5.9 pages)
- Critique of Movie The Insider A dramatization of 1995 events in which the tobacco industry allegedly covered up proof that nicotine is addictive and harmful. When Brown and Williamson executive Jeffrey Wigand (Crowe) tries to expose the industry's cover-up, he is threatened into silence. He eventually gets his story to 60 Minutes producer Lowell Bergman (AL Pacino), but CBS decides against airing it due to political and economic pressures, and the threat of lawsuit from Brown and Williamson. Before we start, I think it's important that you know a little thing about me, and where I'm coming from.... [tags: Tobacco Nicotine Insider Film Essays]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- The Insider (1999) is a film rife with ethical dilemmas, suspense and controversy. It is based on a true story related to a 1994 episode of the CBS news show 60 Minutes that never aired. The plot puts Dr. Jeffrey Wigand (Russell Crowe) at odds with Brown & Williamson, the third largest tobacco companies in the country. Wigand was fired from his position as Vice President of Research and Development, at which he was instructed to hide information related to the addictive nature of nicotine. The plot takes off when Lowell Bergman (Al Pacino), producer for 60 Minutes, discovers that Wigand has a story to tell.... [tags: Insider Movie Film Analysis]
1442 words (4.1 pages)
- Story telling through Greek Art Greek art was seen as more than a means to decorate with its more popular use was that of storytelling and recording historical events. Greek art dates from the seventh to the second century. The eras included in historical Greek art are: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, and the Hellenistic (Sowerby150). All of the eras are similar in that they build on the previous era and lead to more detailed and dramatic artwork. The use of human actions as subjects gained intensity with each new era.... [tags: Greek History]
738 words (2.1 pages)
- People wonder why the world is so obsessed with ancient Greek myths when there just stories that was told millenniums ago. Although if you looked at the number of Greek-themed books and movies today, people would see that the world is still dazzled by Greek myths even if they can’t explain why. People see something related to a Greek myth every day and they don’t even notice. These ancient myths gave us an inside look on how the Greek lived back in that time and how their minds worked. Not only did the Greeks give us things like the alphabet, the Greeks gave us interesting stories that make us think if these Greek myths were real or just fables.... [tags: Greek mythology, Zeus, Apollo, Homer]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- If you have ever traded in the stock market, or have any knowledge about the stock market at all, you surely have heard the term “insider trading”. This term has a negative connotation to most people and is usually associated with illegal conduct. What most people do not know, is that insider trading can be conducted in a legal way. So what exactly is insider trading. It is defined as “the buying or selling of a security by someone who has access to material, nonpublic information about the security”.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Insider trading]
716 words (2 pages)
- Since the beginning of time, women didn’t have as much power as a men. A great example of this is how women are portrayed in Greek and Irish mythology. Looking at the history of Greek mythology, what roles women play, and the differences between Greek and Irish mythology, it is easy to see the difference in how women are treated compared to men. One famous history topic in ancient Greece period is the Trojan War. The poems Iliad and Odyssey go in depth about the events of the Trojan War, the battle that sailed 10,000 ships just for a girl.... [tags: Greek mythology, Trojan War, Zeus, Agamemnon]
1385 words (4 pages)