As a parent, the main component that you look for in a coach is that he cares for your child and wants your child to reach his maximum potential, both on and off the court. John Calipari is, without a doubt, one of the few coaches in the NCAA who truly cares for his players and puts their well- being in front of everything else.
John Calipari is universally known as a coach that cares more about his players than himself. There is an incredible amount of evidence that supports the idea of John Calipari being a “players-first” type of coach. First off, lets start with a quote from one of the most respectable men in the entire world, former United States President Bill Clinton. While talking about the subject of coach Calipari, President Clinton once said that, "If you are a college basketball fan like I am, you’ll understand why I’ve long admired John Calipari’s leadership style. While no coach treasures a win more than John, this terrifi...
... middle of paper ...
...ocess." Youtube. ESPNAllAccessUK, 25 Oct. 2012. Web.
“ESPN All Access Kentucky Episode 2” Youtube. N.p., 24 Oct. 2012. Web.
Lee, Michael. "John Wall Pledges to Donate $1 Million to Local Charities." The Washington Post ……….2 Aug. 2013: n. pag. Print.
"NBA Players Coached." CoachCal.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2014.
"Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out." Amazon.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2014.
"Recruiting Database." ESPN. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Mar. 2014.
Ryan, Shannon. "Rose Praises His College Coach." Chicago Tribune [Chicago] 29 Mar. 2011: n. ……….pag. Print.
StatSheet.com, NCAA Basketball. 3 Apr. 2014
Thompson, Tyler. "Grantland Has a Great Piece on Anthony Davis." Kentucky Sports Radio ……….(n.d.): n. pag. Web. 1 Apr. 2014.
Tucker, Kyle. "Kentucky Reloads: Calipari Ushers in 'best Ever' Freshman Class." USA Today ……….[Lexington] 29 Oct. 2013: n. pag. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Since before I was even 1 year old, because before I was even one years old, I had a basketball in my hands. Im surprised it wasn 't my first word. it was my dads pray to be able to have a son who would have the opportunity to play college basketball and I am his answered prayer. since i was born basketball was the only sport I wanted to play. from elementary to middle school to high school thats all I played. Now i am playing basketball for Moravian Prep in Hudson North Carolina and I can smell the college basketball opportunity its so close.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Basketball, College]
1033 words (3 pages)
- Jim Valvano, otherwise known as “Jimmy V”, was a college basketball player, coach, and broadcaster. This paper will cover Jimmy and define his true leadership qualities. Jimmy was an icon in the sports world not only for his coaching ability. He taught the world that leaders need a vision, leaders need to connect with their followers, and that leaders learn from their followers. Jimmy defied the rules and transformed his players into exceptionally good players and even better people. He taught more than basketball to his players and reached outside of his coaching arena to touch the lives of people across the world.... [tags: Leadership, Basketball, Coaching, Management]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- With time running out and the game on the line there is only one thing to do, shoot the ball; in basketball there has been many instances of fundamentals and athleticism in which history has been made in the sport itself. Basketball as a sport has gone through many obstacles to actually becoming a serious competitor to baseball, which was bigger than most sports in its era. Basketball has gained recognition worldwide because of its fast tempo game and how it is played. To understand the game of basketball and the journey of becoming what it is today, the history is extremely important.... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, College basketball]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Practice + Pain =Success The movie Coach Carter is a very inspirational and motivational movie. Coach Carter takes over coaching his high school basketball team. The team is a group of students who are rude, undisciplined, and out of control. Coach shows many different levels of negotiations throughout the movie. He uses many tools to accomplish his goals such as the want factor, collaboration, crafting agreements, and negotiation change. The move consists of six main characters. Coach Carter and principle Garrison are the two guiding adults in the movie.... [tags: Basketball, High school, Coach Carter, Education]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- Basketball is a sport people love all over the world and has changed throughout history. College basketball in the 1930s gave younger athletes a new focus during the Great Depression. Professional basketball was an important distraction for people at the time as well.There were some top basketball teams that faced many issues with all the issues in the 1930s. Basketball was growing during the 1930s, serving as a distraction from the Great Depression at both the professional and collegiate level.... [tags: Sport History, College Basketball ]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Don Haskins was the head basketball coach at Texas Western College from 1961 to 1999. Growing up in the 1940s, he had a love for basketball but he lacked raw talent. His friend, Herman Carr, who was black, was a better player and they had played many games together during the course of their primary school years. Haskins was always bothered by the fact that Herman had to drink out of the coloured fountain, and use different restrooms. He did not understand why he was being treated as inferior despite being a superior player.... [tags: Sports, Racism, College]
694 words (2 pages)
- Vince Lombardi is known as one of the best football coaches of all time. He was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 11, 1913 (Philips, 2001). Lombardi was the eldest of five children of two very devote Catholic parents (Philips, 2001). Throughout his childhood Lombardi was involved in many sports but football was his true passion (Philips, 2001). During his senior year of high Lombardi won a football scholarship to St. Francis Prep School in Brooklyn (Philips, 2001). During his time at St. Francis Prep School Lombardi was not a very strong football player but was known for his dedication and hard work (Philips, 2001).... [tags: biography, giants, assistant coach]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- I have chosen this career because there is nothing I would rather do than play the game of basketball for the rest my life. I started playing organized basketball in the sixth grade, and I have been in love with the game ever since. Here is a little history on basketball, The First type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago. The Aztec, and Mayan cultures also had a game similar to basketball, only instead of a rubber ball they used the decapitated skulls of their conquered foes.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Before I talk about the interview it is necessary to illustrate you with the differences in able body basketball and wheelchair basketball. The rules of wheelchair basketball and stand up basketball are very similar. The quarters are the length of 12 minutes. The shot clock is 24 seconds and once the ball hits the rim it resets. When the ball is in play you have 8 seconds to cross half court. Players can only be in the key for 3 seconds unless if the ball is being shot. When a player is inbounding the ball you have 5 seconds to pass the ball in.... [tags: Disability, Wheelchair, Basketball]
1744 words (5 pages)
- During my last 3 years of high school I volunteered with a basketball program called the Ottawa Shooting Stars which was the club I played for during my first 3 years playing competitive basketball. The program that the Shooting Stars are running is called Small Ball. It is program for developing skills but mostly for having some fun and introducing young players to the game of basketball. It manly focuses on Fundamentals such as dribbling, shooting, footwork and passing at the most basic level.... [tags: High school, Basketball, College]
1011 words (2.9 pages)